Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: 1894C Dark

Banned

1894C Dark

Hello friends,

I recently sold two rifles to members on this forum because I had too many projects and I told myself that I had to thin the herd and concentrate. And then I came across this rifle. I am a Marlin junkie, I admit it. So I happened to have my half of the tax return sitting around and, before I knew it, this gun was on it's way to my FFL.

It should be here next Thursday. I'm looking forward to it. It is chambered in 357 Magnum. Thanks Wheelguns1961.

Steve in N CA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAR70412_1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	259239
    Last edited by sghart3578; 03-28-2020 at 01:01 AM.

Congratulations! What caliber did you get?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Congratulations! What caliber did you get?
    357 magnum

Boolit Buddy
    Me want me want

Moderator Emeritus

Give us a report on how the newer Remlins are doing please.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Me too. I'm curious as well.

Banned
    I will be happy to give you guys a thorough write up.

Steve

I picked up a 45 colt remlin cowboy about a year ago, and it is a fine rifle. Nice and tight. Shoots good. The polishing and blueing are kind of drab, but aren’t most these days.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

I had a hard time debating between this one, the CSBL and the CST model. I went with the CSBL and must admit, it is finished right, slicker than goose poop on a dew covered down hill slide and I can’t wait to get more loaded to shoot it again. I hope your dark model is equal to my CSBL or better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I had a hard time debating between this one, the CSBL and the CST model. I went with the CSBL and must admit, it is finished right, slicker than goose poop on a dew covered down hill slide and I can’t wait to get more loaded to shoot it again. I hope your dark model is equal to my CSBL or better.
    Thank you. It's funny, I was faced with the same dilemma. I was just about to go with the CSBL when I saw this one. I wanted a shorter, threaded barrel with peep sights and a rail mount but I am not moved by stainless steel guns.

As an update I spent 1 1/2 hours in line this morning to start the DROS paperwork on it. My local FFL is getting slammed with buyers. Since I go there a lot and they all know me by name they took me aside and politely asked me to be as fast as I could with the paperwork.

I did verify that the sights were straight and not canted, the bore looked great with a borelight, the action was very, very smooth and the trigger was crisp and light with no creep. So far, so good. I can't wait to shoot it.

Steve in N CA

Moderator Emeritus

"I did verify that the sights were straight and not canted" I was in a Sportsman's Warehouse and decided to look at a Remlin 44. It was chanted which is one of the reasons I asked.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one of the new remlins in 357 mag. Fit and finish look good and the thing eats everything I feed it, even full wadcutters (I was shocked about that too) and seems to be fairly accurate. Put a scope on it, but haven't made it to the range yet to try detailed accuracy testing.

Boolit Master

I've had a 94CS for a couple years, mine is fine and very accurate with my loads. The finish on the wood wasn't quite deep enough for me so I put 2 coats of BLO on it and it really helped. The function is fine.

Boolit Master
    I have two 1894's one in 357 mag and the other in 44 mag. I must admit the 1894 dark is quite interesting. Nice recoil pad instead of hard plastic buttplate. Frank

Boolit Master
    "I did verify that the sights were straight and not canted" I was in a Sportsman's Warehouse and decided to look at a Remlin 44. It was chanted which is one of the reasons I asked.
    They must have made a few that way because I handled one with a canted front site at Gander Outdoors recently.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    Me too. I'm curious as well.
    So they do exist! I want to get that in 357 as well. I've had .44 mag in stainless for some years now and it's been a decent shooter.
    Would you mind giving a ball park price on yours?

ETA: I wish Marlin went with a "plastic" stock instead of painted wood, but I still plan to buy one.
    Last edited by Dancing Bear; 04-18-2020 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added content

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    So they do exist! I want to get that in 357 as well. I've had .44 mag in stainless for some years now and it's been a decent shooter.
    Would you mind giving a ball park price on yours?

ETA: I wish Marlin went with a "plastic" stock instead of painted wood, but I still plan to buy one.

I paid $919.00 total to Locked and Loaded. That got it shipped to me here in California. Then it was another $150 at my FFL for DROS, tax and dealer's fees. It was a lot but it was my tax refund/birthday present.

You may not believe this but I just got it home yesterday after California delayed my 10 day waiting period to 3 weeks. Everyone here is being delayed.

I will take some photos this afternoon and give you initial impressions which right now are very good.

Steve in N CA
    Last edited by sghart3578; 04-18-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, and good luck with your new addition. Looking forward to the range report.

Boolit Mold
    Very sharp looking rifle. Will be waiting for the range report.

Banned
    I was finally able to get this rifle out to the range for a little bit of shooting. Not a prolonged test session but about 75 rounds of various loads to break it in.

First, when I got the rifle home I pulled the bolt and cleaned the bore. The rifling looks very nice, no issues there. The bore slugs at .356". I dehorned some sharp edges and lubed various points and checked for action. At this point I should note that the screws on this rifle are Torx head screws, not flat blade screws. I hand to find a T20 torx driver to remove the lever. The other screws are also different size Torx screws except for the scope rail and XS sights. They take traditional flat screwdrivers.

This rifle is already very smooth. The trigger pull is 4-4.5 lbs consistently, no creep with a clean break.

At the range it seems to be very accurate. At 50 yards it is clay pigeon deadly and the same at 100 yards once I figured out the holdover. Accuracy seems to be there. Windage was dead on from the factory. The rear peep sight I left alone. I plan on finding the best load for this rifle then raising/lowering the rear peep to fit my needs.

I cycled 38 spl jacketed, 38 spl LSWC, 38 spl WFN, 357 mag jacketed, 357 mag WFN, 357 mag LSWC all without a problem.

All cast bullets were sized to .358". I tried chambering some .360" cast rounds from my JM Marlin stash but it was a no go. Function was flawless with everything I tried.

I tried to take some photos but the rifle is so dark that they don't show a lot of detail. I like this rifle and so does my son who helped me. I am putting together a box of reloads to shoot for accuracy testing. I will post the results. I am confident that this rifle will perform.

I want to load test with a scope then add a red dot. So I have a long project ahead of me.

Steve in N CA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1894C Dark 1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	260886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1894C Dark 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	260887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1894C Dark 3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	260888