Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Ballistics: 10mm Auto Cartridge

Boolit Mold

Ballistics: 10mm Auto Cartridge

It appears that many 10mm auto hunters-- prefer the 200gr and 220gr bullets.

The 155 and 180gr have more energy at ~100ish yards than the 200, when using velocities from a reloading manual. I didn't run the 220gr.

Is there a terminal performance gain that cannot be seen on paper when using a 200 or 220gr bullet in the 10mm auto, compared to the 155 or 180?
    Maybe just a tougher bullet construction?

Thank you

Boolit Grand Master

Energy means nothing. 10mm auto was designed for a 200 grain bullet, so you are likely to see many loadings with that. 180 grain works great, 200 works great, 220 works great. Worry about the particular bullet, not necessarily the weight. 40 caliber bullets under 170 grains are almost always fast expanding, low penetration bullets not well suited to hunting. In a solid cast bullet, a 220 grain should penetrate more than a 180 grain, although both will drive through about twice as far as any hunter needs. In an expanding cast bullet, the added weight helps penetration. I often like heavier bullets because they are more accurate, but this is not always the case, only a general association of my own experiences.