WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weigh check and sort?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    So the monotype had a weight reduction effect. Next I am going to cast some of the 200gr mold again with this mixed alloy and compare the weight with the straight range scrap.
    My understanding is that, since all the alloying metals we add to lead are less dense, the resulting alloy will cast a lighter boolit compared to pure lead.

There may be formulas that will predict the density of an alloy with more or less tin or antimony, or with mixed alloys of unknown content but known density, but, like you, I just do the empirical thing by taking notes on what weight I get with a given alloy and mold. Since I make up large batches of casting alloy from metals of known content, I'm pretty sure I can get consistent casting results.

Boolit Master

I've made a very major effort to remove my OCD from the reloading process wherever necessary. There's a time and place, but unless you're shooting Bullseye matches, pistol bullets is not it. The human element brings way more error to the party than you'll ever see from a half-percent change in bullet weight. Save that focus for the long-range buffalo rifles.

Once you've weighed a few to see what your alloy yields, your better Q.C. method will be to check visually for good fillout, sharp bases, and flush cuts on the sprues. If your technique is good, and your multi-cavity mold uniform across all the holes, consistent weight will take care of itself.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Bigslug I wholly agree. This isn't the worst of the OCD. This is more of a curiosity than anything. My real OCD comes in the form of weigh checking powder drops. Even though I use a powder measure with powders that are very consistent I still weigh to often. Like every tenth one. Then like you say I also know that I cannot differentiate between a load that may be .3grains off either way when they are all strung together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12