Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Pay cut in half for a few weeks, then terminated

Boolit Bub

Pay cut in half for a few weeks, then terminated

I've joined the millions of Americans who've seen their financial threatened, my foreign based company slashed my pay and told me to prepare for termination in a matter of weeks.

I know others have it worse, but with two kids in college right now, it comes at an awful time. Talk about a gut punch.

If anyone in PA (central, near Penn State) knows of a job for a retired military guy, let me know.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't let pride get in the way of applying for unemployment--you should do it as soon as you are eligible, because it is difficult to recapture any weeks of payments that you let slip by before applying. They will have some hoops to jump through--nothing you didn't do in the service, so bite your tongue and drive on. Some states have an enhanced or streamlined process for veterans--make sure you let them know you're a vet, as it might shorten some of the inevitable lines you'll have to wait in. Things are going to pick up, so keep your chin up.

--DJ

Moderator Emeritus

The package that will hopefully pass today will supposedly give full pay plus up to $600 extra a week for four months. That was the latest I had heard. Believe it when it passes. Only reason it was brought up is a Senator was complaining it encouraged a person not to work. The whole process was supposed to have been streamlined also but may be slow due to volume. Good luck

Boolit Bub

All, thanks for the notes and suggestions. I'm kinda in a "no mans land" in the sense that I'm still getting some money, so not sure how all will shake out. I did it to keep medical benefits (have kids that too old for TRICARE - I'm a vet - but can still be covered by employer healthcare).

I agree, do whatever necessary to keep money coming in. Applied for Walmart yesterday.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats tough news. I'm sure you will land on your feet but I know the unknown is bothering you. Wishing you the best of Luck finding something. Keep your head up!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    The package that will hopefully pass today will supposedly give full pay plus up to $600 extra a week for four months. That was the latest I had heard. Believe it when it passes. Only reason it was brought up is a Senator was complaining it encouraged a person not to work. The whole process was supposed to have been streamlined also but may be slow due to volume. Good luck
    I've got to believe he'll be proven correct in more cases than we would like. Too bad you're not in Oregon, I could tell you where to apply.

It happens to the best of us, I was downsized in Feb. I would say don't panic or rush into any job, they'll prob cash out your PTO and that'll give you a couple weeks to figure something out. I'm in CO and the unemployment process takes about 4 weeks to process, and pays out something proportionate to your earnings up to $600 /week. File for unemployment and make a plan, what's your occupation? Here in CO companies pay for unemployment insurance, their premiums go up as they lay people off - you're using a benefit that's there for you. Use it to buy time and peace of mind. I've been steadily employed full time since 14 yrs old (through 2 college degrees) and now am unemployed.

Boolit Master

I feel your pain. I am retired, working part time because I want to. My brother, 62, just learned that his dealership employer terminated his salesman position.
    We will get through this together.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Bub

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I know I'm lucky in the sense of having a little time and income. Although my military experience is leading large organizations (last one was air base), since retiring I've been doing leadership and performance improvement in Oil & Gas. That industry is getting a double whammy. But like many, we'll work hard to find a way through this.

I've told a couple people, "George" notably, that this forum has the finest collection of people I've met online. You're all great, friendly, and compassionate. The latter is remarkable. Each and every one of you are superb.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry to hear you are going through this. Just remember it is not your fault and keep trucking on.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

franklin with your experience and attitude you will be on the upward swing sooner than most I'd say. Yes you are with an awesome bunch of folks who have a bunch of experience in so many areas that you are bound to fit in perfectly. We are drawn here with a common bond of casting boolits (although not a requirement), handloading, shooting, hunting-just to name a few. Though you are not new to the board, I'll still say welcome here and don't be a stranger.
    Stan...aka smoked turkey
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

one draw back is the lowered wages for several weeks before may have a negative effect on you unemployment benefits since they are based on wages. The extra weeks worked are nice. If your wages and dependants are enough to still draw the top limit then it dosnt matter. But if not your employer is cutting his share down with this move also.

Work with what you have available and stay busy. Im curious if unemployment has or will waive the look for work requirement during this time. In Ohio you need to make 2 contacts a pay period. Stay busy with what you can and look ahead.

Boolit Master
    When you apply for unemployment be sure that the reason is “coronavirus” as that gives you additional benefits.

Have you looked at the changes to FMLA? You might be better off taking leave for the next 3-6 months than sticking around.