Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Vibratory primer filler directly on AP?

Boolit Master

Vibratory primer filler directly on AP?

I run a LNL-AP and hate filling primer tubes, as I'm sure everybody else does. I recently discovered that primer flipper trays will actually flip primers over with some light shaking, which is huge, but still hate stabbing them with the pickup tubes. Has anybody ever used or adapted a vibra-prime, Hornady 1911 primer tube filler, etc to fill directly into the primer feed tube on the LNL AP? Filling the pickup tube just to use it to dump them into the feed tube feels a bit redundant.
    Last edited by SeabeeMan; 10-03-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    Not sure what you are asking. I have a LNL and use the Hornady 1911 primer filler. Beats pecking primers and takes a third of the time.

Boolit Master

Can one of those fillers be used to fill the primer feed tube on a LNL-AP directly, without having to fill a pickup tube, then use that to fill the feed tube.

Edited for clarity.

The vibraprime doesn’t really lend itself to what you are talking about. It too has to be shaken to get them all base down, then they work best as angle is changed to work them to the hole and if two try and enter, at the same time, a little pop backwards to let them try again is needed or they just sit there bridged at the entrance.

Looks like this in operation. The Dillon tube filler at the end of the video does work just sitting in the same position though.

Boolit Master

I don't mind have to move it around a bit to get them flipped, just curious if they could interface directly with the feed tube. Probably have to remove the black part at the top, but that's fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    My mentor bought a Camdex back in the 70’s that had a Syntron (IIRC) feeder for primers. It looked like a miniature pit mine...with a spiral ramp that feed the primers uphill to the drop tube. It worked very well. A call to one of the manufacturers of automated loading machines might be worthwhile. They will not be cheap...but they are going to work.

We just dumped primers into the bowel, and it did the rest.
    Don Verna

I don't mind have to move it around a bit to get them flipped, just curious if they could interface directly with the feed tube.
    Anything can be done but I imagine you won’t be happy with the end result.

Boolit Master

1. The frankford arsenal vibra prime works best when tilted slightly forward and to the right. No...I don't think it would work directly on the vertical primer tube in the press.

2. What is the problem with filling a tube, then placing the tube on top of the LNL primer feed tube and just pulling a pin to transfer the primers. It is way easier to fill a tube then transfer than it would be to use the vibra prime on top the press mounted tube.

Boolit Master
    The only way I can see it working is you would have to have a short piece of primer tube sticking out then a flexible something between it and the primer tube in the LNL so you can shake the vibraprime or hornady 1911 like Jmorris said. Only way to find out is to try it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    The only way I can see it working is you would have to have a short piece of primer tube sticking out then a flexible something between it and the primer tube in the LNL so you can shake the vibraprime or hornady 1911 like Jmorris said. Only way to find out is to try it.
    But you are still going to have to hold it in your hand while you fill, so i don't see how you save anything by trying to mount it to your press.

About the simplest easiest prep process is filling promer tubes with the vibraprime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    1. The frankford arsenal vibra prime works best when tilted slightly forward and to the right. No...I don't think it would work directly on the vertical primer tube in the press.

2. What is the problem with filling a tube, then placing the tube on top of the LNL primer feed tube and just pulling a pin to transfer the primers. It is way easier to fill a tube then transfer than it would be to use the vibra prime on top the press mounted tube.
    it also sometimes needs to be tilted in different directions to get the primers to come to the hole. Your going to be pretty much stuck with loading tubes. What i do is before i even start loading if i know I need a 1000 rounds i load up 10 tubes. probably takes 15 minutes to get them all ready. I even keep tubes loaded in a drawer. Ill take a day and load a bunch of small rifle, small pistol, and large pistol (i dont do alot of large rifle on a progressive) and have them in the drawer ready to go. i thought the dillon primer tube feeder would be THE answer. It would load a tube while i was loading ammo. It was so inconsistant and unreliable that it took less time to use a frankfort arsonel tube filler before i started. On junk i ever bought from dillon. had it back to them 3 times and finaly they gave me my money back.

i thought the dillon primer tube feeder would be THE answer. It would load a tube while i was loading ammo. It was so inconsistant and unreliable that it took less time to use a frankfort arsonel tube filler before i started. On junk i ever bought from dillon. had it back to them 3 times and finaly they gave me my money back.
    That’s a fair point, some can’t even get the vibratory bowl Dillon filler to work and that industrial design has been around for decades collating all sorts of different parts, from light bulbs, tiny screws, etc.

I think you should try and use your vibraprime held in just one position. If you can get it to consistently fill tubes, in a single position, then mount it in that position and figure out how to connect it to the press.

Boolit Master

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/primafill

I've been playing with this one in the past couple of days. It works very well.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    But you are still going to have to hold it in your hand while you fill, so i don't see how you save anything by trying to mount it to your press.

About the simplest easiest prep process is filling promer tubes with the vibraprime.
    It wouldn’t be mounted to the press.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dillion has one that works great.
    But it cost.
    I got a hand held one because it was on sale.
    Tried it and it worked good.
    Didn't really need it, but couldn't help myself.
    I luv tools.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LJXkGebXA

Boolit Buddy
    I had a bowl primer feed on my camdex and it worked great. I’m rebuilding an old ammoload and it has one too. Was thinking about mounting on another machine but I have to many. Takes time to align. May build a mount for it to fill tubes. Your post gave me the idea. Thanx

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown