RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Model 95 Winchester, 35 Winchester

Boolit Buddy

Model 95 Winchester, 35 Winchester

Anyone have cast loading experience, with a 95W in 35 Winchester. Have a shooter grade rifle with a good bore. Two molds I have in mind are a M&P copy of 200 gr. RCBS and a 245 grain Saeco Redding Mold.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Anyone have cast loading experience, with a 95W in 35 Winchester. Have a shooter grade rifle with a good bore. Two molds I have in mind are a M&P copy of 200 gr. RCBS and a 245 grain Saeco Redding Mold.
    Rick
    I personally like the Saeco. I have several 1895's in 35wcf and that seems to work well for all of them. I do have an older rcbs 200gr that is good - just not as good as the Saeco.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Well I'd love to see pictures and hear any stories.

Boolit Buddy
    Recent acquisition, so no real stories yet. Really nothing to look at. Lost most of it's finish a long time ago. A previous caretaker tried to cold blue the barrel. Turned out poorly. Was drilled and tapped on the side for a receiver sight. Outside of that it's an honest rifle. This is my first 35 Winchester. Owned two 405's about 35 years ago. Followed by several 30 US's, and a 30-03. They all went down the road over the years. Spotted this 35 Winchester, a new adventure has begun.

The 35-200 RCBS is a favorite of mine. Have an M&P copy of RCBS 35-200 in a HP GC version. A M&P 35-220 HP GC, and the Saeco-Redding 245 gr. No shortage of molds! Have dies, 50 each 405 Hornady cases and a case holder in 35 Winchester on the way from L. E. Wilson for the trimmer. I have the older Lyman Manuals with 35W load data, would like to hear other shooters experiences with this cartridge.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 03-27-2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

Cannot help you with this project.
    Well one thing for sure is you will never overstress a Winchester Model 95 shooting 35 Winchester with cast slugs.
    We still shoot our 405 when up north. I still like the beast !
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I bought mine because I had found some loading dies and the Ideal 358318 HPGC mould, and wanted to use them. I guess there are worse excuses for buying a rifle. I also figured it would be “practical” in that I could use .38-.357 bullets for plinking.

I’ve used either Bertram, Bell or Hornady .405 brass, formed and trimmed. 22-25 gr VVN-130, 15-18gr SR-4759, 24-27gr Hercules Reloder 7. The effect on water-filled jugs seems to be as eruptive as a .45-70 loaded to similar velocities. I have the lighter solid mould for the .35 Remington, but haven’t tried it yet. Haven’t gotten around to trying any pistol bullets, either.

I fired a bunch of factory ammo in a friend’s .405, with the crescent buttplate. My rifle, with the shotgun buttplate, seemed to be about the same recoilwise, with full-house jacketed-bullet loads. A little lighter bullet at a little higher velocity. Noticeably more accurate as well, although they were neither of them target rifles. If the .35 Win is only “medium medicine,” it is certainly “medicine” enough.

Boolit Master
    I do use bullets intended for 357 magnum. They are definitely fun to shoot! The full loads with 240-250gr are definitely not comfortable for long sessions. My kids and wife and I all have 35wcf 1895's and they definitely do the job! From ground squirrels to coyotes to elk, moose and buffalo - no issues with being undergunned!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That Saeco 245 is the Bee's knees in my .356 win., should be good in any .35

Boolit Buddy
    Looking forward to loading the Saeco 245. I have a new 4 cavity that should empty the lead pot in a hurry. Will try 4759 first.

In regards to 95 Winchester’s the Rifle buttstock is the most prevelant. Shotgun butts are rare and generally found on later built rifles. The new acquisition has a Rifle buttstock. About 40 years ago I ran across a 1 1/4” x 5” x 9” piece of absorbathane. If it starts to bite, I will resort to it. The cast loads I intend to shoot in the 1600 FPS area, should be fine.
    Rick