Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder coated rounds getting stuck in the rifling before fully chambering

Boolit Master

Regardless of what you load in the future, A test batch of 20-50 (or less) is a good idea. Check them for feeding, function, velocity, or whatever parameter you require (expansion, etc) before loading the full batch.

Once they are crimped, I have never been able to seat them deeper without damaging the coating/ bullet. And pulling the bullets also damages the coating/destroys the bullet, depending on method used.

I think we have all been there before, but it is a valuable lesson when loading powdercoated bullets or any cast bullet for that matter.

New boolit/load, check for fit / function first.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I think a lot of us will only make up 10 or 20 when trying something new, checking that those function as they should before committing to several hundred.
    I'm not quite that logical.

Boolit Master
    I load my ammo for my guns. They have to plunk regardless of what a load manual says. I load 5 rounds and shoot them in the back yard. 1 round in the first mag to check that they feed, and the gun functions as it should. Check the piece of brass for pressure signs and the barrel and gun innards for good powder burn. Load the other 4 in the mag. Fire 1 and check that #2 has fed. Fire #2 and check that the gun has gone to battery. Fire the #3&4 quickly. Did the gun lock open after the last shot. Check all the brass and the gun innards and barrel for powder burn condition. If all is good, go to the reloading bench and load 10 more. Check for accuracy and gun function and how clean the powder burn.

When I started there was no internet and I had no mentor. I wanted to shoot in competition and couldn't afford to by ammo. I learned from reading and starting low and working up my loads. I didn't learn what I know overnight.

I did wear out a collet on my inertia bullet puller from mistakes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    ....I did wear out a collet on my inertia bullet puller from mistakes.
    LOL

Many of us in here learned to reload and cast years before the internet. Reading books was the way we learned. And not everything was covered so lots of mistakes. We lucky ones didn't hurt anything (or get hurt) in the process.

I also learned about throats, or lack of throats, from PC in my 9mm. For some reason I thought mfgs all followed SAAMI guidelines. Wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    The Good Idea Fairy gets five rounds. If they work - ten. If they work - twenty... I've even gone home and pulled three losers.

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    look at the NOE HTC-358-133-RN-B05. It is a no lube groove RN that has the nose portion sized at .340 so powder coating does not affect chambering. The problem you are having is common to PC bullets and NOE has several molds featuring reduced diameter nose portions
    Loren
    Thank you for the info on NOE molds ..
    Have looked on the site and did not see any in reference to being reduced for PC ing , my bad .
    Are there notes on his site to any particular molds that I am missing ?
    Appreciate it much.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    The NOE HTC molds are designed for HiTek coatings and should work with PC as well.

Best is to check the drawings of the bullet. Look at the dia in front of the driving bands, add .002" and see if that 'fits'.

Thank you much for pointing that out.
    Appreciate it
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    Another tidbit. Accurate Arms molds can be ordered with undersize noses. If their order page is confusing contact them and let them know what you need.

I started reloading in 2014. Was a bad time. Took months to get everything. Press, dies, powder of some sort, bullets. Primers were one of the easiest at the time. Started loading and found this place. Dang. Lee pot was easy, as was a couple of molds. And I was able to get lead from probably a half dozen folks here. Cast up a bunch of the lee 125 rn. Sized and Lubed them and they worked ok. Later pced some. Nope, nose didn't work. My glock worked fine. The PPQ, nope. Dang. Well mold is long gone, I shoot up the remaining in several guns with long throat. But one thing, at least with 9mm, is to get a check. And use it. If it works in the check ,it should work in the guns.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12