RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Velocity required for GT Bullets hollow points to expand ?

Velocity required for GT Bullets hollow points to expand ?

GT bullets uses 92-6-2 Alloy, IIRC. What velocity is needed for these hollow points to expand well? Did a search but found no info on this question.

Boolit Grand Master

They do not, all of their hollow points are 96-2-2 alloy. That is far too broad a question to ask. The 175 grain 30 caliber rifle bullet with tiny HP is going to work best at a velocity far different than the 38 caliber 160 grain with huge HP. The alloy they use should be comparable to something like the 50/50 COWW/pure lead many use, or 16:1 lead/tin.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    They do not, all of their hollow points are 96-2-2 alloy. That is far too broad a question to ask. The 175 grain 30 caliber rifle bullet with tiny HP is going to work best at a velocity far different than the 38 caliber 160 grain with huge HP. The alloy they use should be comparable to something like the 50/50 COWW/pure lead many use, or 16:1 lead/tin.
    Just went to the GT website and looked. You are correct. My memory seems to have failed me. The correct alloy has somewhat answered my question, as I thought 6% antimony would be too brittle to expand reliably at moderate velocity. Although I have several handgun calibers, I was thinking about .44 Spl/Mag caliber in a 4 inch barrel today when I posted the question. Should have been more specific. Thanks for the reply.

Boolit Grand Master

For what it's worth, I cast the 44 caliber NOE clone of the HG #503 with deep HP. GT bullets has the same bullet (I'm almost positive they used the same NOE mold), sold as the "44 caliber 250 gr Keith Design LSWHP".

I cast mine of 20:1, and get good expansion at 1200 fps. I would expect good expansion at 1200-1400 fps from the GT bullet.

Boolit Master
    You've got to keep the antimony content down if you want good expansion. The alloy of the bullets in the following pic is 97Pb/2.5Sn/0.5Sb, and velocities are left to right; ~800fps, 845fps and 940fps. Most commercial casters use too much antimony and not enough tin.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollowpoint Testing.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	259177
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

For what it's worth, I cast the 44 caliber NOE clone of the HG #503 with deep HP. GT bullets has the same bullet (I'm almost positive they used the same NOE mold), sold as the "44 caliber 250 gr Keith Design LSWHP".

I cast mine of 20:1, and get good expansion at 1200 fps. I would expect good expansion at 1200-1400 fps from the GT bullet.
    I'm with you. If my brother was casting hunting boolits, it would be out of 20:1, and they would mushroom like toad stools after a rain storm. Any harder and it was just an unjacketed FMJ unless it hit a substantial bone.

My hard cast just whips through a feral dog, but a 100 to 150 pound feral hog if it hits a shoulder bone it will mushroom as it breaks it.

ACC

I have not shot 44 Mag for years. But lately I find myself having the wants for a smaller lighter 44, and the S&W 69 appeals to me more than the Ruger GP100 44 Spl. I would not be shooting any barn burner loads though it as I got all that out of my system in my younger days. Over the years I have owned 3 different four inch 29s, 1 four inch 629, , one- 6.5 inch 29, and 2 different 8 3/8" Mod 29s. All those are gone now and all I have left is one 5" 29 with the under lug barrel. Have never shot it, for a reason which I won't bore you with right now. I was thinking a 240 -250 gr at 1000-1100 FPS would be plenty for anything I would shoot around here. I live on a farm. Years ago, when I was a novice caster, I had a Lyman 249215 GC mold. I cast a bunch of bullets with a lot of antimony and water dropped them. They were so hard there was no way I could scratch them with a thumbnail. I had the bright idea to hollow point some with my Forster case trimming tool and the hollow pointing drill bit. Shot them through my 8 3/8" 29 at full speed into water just to check for expansion. The noses fragmented off every bullet and I could see the crystalline appearance of the lead where the noses tore off. There was no ductile property to my bullets at all. A lesson for a young buck. That why I ask about the GT boolits. I'm getting just about too old to cast myself and I can afford to buy a few now that I'm retired.

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    You've got to keep the antimony content down if you want good expansion. The alloy of the bullets in the following pic is 97Pb/2.5Sn/0.5Sb, and velocities are left to right; ~800fps, 845fps and 940fps. Most commercial casters use too much antimony and not enough tin.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollowpoint Testing.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	259177
    Thanks for posting the pic and the info. Are those all M-P molds?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Thanks for posting the pic and the info. Are those all M-P molds?
    Yes indeed. Great molds.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member