Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure

Boolit Man

Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure

Is there any advantage to the Lee auto disk powder measure, compared to normal drum-based powder measures?

There are times when I wish I would have keep my disc setup and not gone to the drum. I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what style they all seem to leak.

Just my .02

Boolit Master
    I have, and use a Lee autodisk. I have found it to be one of the most consistent powder measures that I have for loading pistol cartridges. Of course that depends on the powder you are using we all know that extruded powders don’t meter very well. Incidentally I also have a Lee safety desk which is a much older bench mounted version of the Autodisk. If you have a specific load that you use on a regular basis, it works great! Especially if its use, like I do, on a Lee Turret press.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

You mean aside from dumping as much powder on your bench as in cases.

Sorry. Not a fan of LEE powder measures.

Pick up a used RCBS or Redding for same $$ and carry on.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    One of the things I like about the pro auto disk is the fixed cavities on the disks , if you keep notes of which one to use for your commonly used loads they are fast to set up throw a few charges to settle the powder and verify the charge and start loading no worry of the adjustment changing if you do want to change to a different cavity the hopper has a shutoff so you don't have to empty it . Kinda like an automated little dandy.
    It's not the only measure I use but I use it the most mainly light to moderate handgun loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    You mean aside from dumping as much powder on your bench as in cases.

Sorry. Not a fan of LEE powder measures.

Pick up a used RCBS or Redding for same $$ and carry on.

CW
    You say they Leak a lot like they all do , I have 4 Lees a rcbs and a Lyman 55 I use my pro auto disks more than the others combined and I may have a few grains of the really fine powders on my press after a few hundred rounds but have never had a problem like you describe was yours the Pro Auto disk ?

Banned

I have both the autodisc and autodrum. The drum leaks BAD. The disc just a very small amount. My RCBS NEVER leaks but I can't set the rcbs to function automatically on my progressive presses. I would have to manually operate the powder throw. The disc seems to be more accurate than the drum.

I like the disk measure for small pistol calibers. Mostly use mine for .380, as I have modified one of the chambers with a screw through the side of it which I can turn in and out for micro-adjustments. With flake powder...it's surprisingly consistent and repeatable. It is possible to make them run without leaking much....just takes some tinkering to find the right tension on the screws.

I use the drum for most everything else...
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

If someone has a auto disc they hate I'll take it off your hands

Banned
    I have two autodrums and two autodisks. The drums are on my two auto breechlock pros and the disks are for my classic turrets.

None of the four leak.

YMMV

Steve in N CA

Banned

Try Shooters World Auto Pistol powder and then say that. It is the finest powder I have ever seen

Ultimate and Clean Shot also That shooters world is some fine powder...............no pun intended

Boolit Master
    I have to confess I don't try to force feed any of my equipment stuff it does not like we have enough good choices I can usually find something that works be it a bullet for a particular barrel or powders for a particular press or PM some combinations just work better than others.

I have 1 Auto Drum measures and 3 Auto Disk measures. One of the Disk measures is a Pro and the other two are the old regular ones that had the rectangular hopper. Of those one sits in the drawer and the other has been updated with the upgrade kit. Then of the two Disk measures I use one has a disk and the other has the micro adjustable disk.

I use these measures on a Lee Pro1000 and it is essential to keep loose powder off the press or it fouls the priming and jams up the press. I load primarily with AA#2, AA#5, Ramshot Silhouette and HP-38. All very fine ball powders and I have very little leakage. I spill more than I leak.

Agree with onelight that with the disks I can normally find two loadings with each powder with the disks. One is usually at or just above the start load and the other is usually somewhere at or just above the middle load and then one will be just past the normal max load and into the +P range. It has gotten to where I have found a nice load weight that is mid-range and then when I load it I mark the load with the powder and the cavity number used.

I have never used Shooters World powders. My Lee Pro Auto Disk measures don't leak with the Winchester, Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant powders I do use.
    I have these measures on turrets for my Lee Classic Cast turret press. I have six of them and they all work reliably.
    Calibers are 223, 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 40S&W, and 45ACP.
    For the larger caliber rifles, I use my RCBS uniflow measure.

Boolit Master

The Pro Auto-Disk works great. I probably have 5-6 of them besides a hornady and rcbs drum, and the auto-disk does a great job.

I have a couple of the pro disk measures. I like them a lot. I never noticed a lot of powder getting away, but I load hp 38 and AA2230(that one is pretty fine). I get more powder 'bounce' filling the hoppers than any loss from the slide.
    They are both at least as good as my dillon measures, which are basically identical in operation(same patent as I recall mike dillon paid richard lee for the rights to use the design).

Don't know the auto drum but some quick searching online shows they can be polished in to match just like the old lee perfects, making them non-leaking unless you are going really fine(110/296) in which case I don't think there is a measure made that does not throw a little of that around.

Boolit Master

I just ordered a Pro disk measure.... I have 3 of the lee square measures I've had for years.
    One is set up with the disks and the other 2 have charge bars. I only use them for pistol
    and use a Redding measure for rifle. I just thought the Pro would be easier to change disks
    with the shut off set up on the hopper. It is a real PITA to change disks on the other ones.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    If someone has a auto disc they hate I'll take it off your hands
    When you get enough, send me some of the extras.

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I just ordered a Pro disk measure.... I have 3 of the lee square measures I've had for years.
    One is set up with the disks and the other 2 have charge bars. I only use them for pistol
    and use a Redding measure for rifle. I just thought the Pro would be easier to change disks
    with the shut off set up on the hopper.
    It is a real PITA to change disks on the other ones.
    Denny
    The Pro is worth the few extra bucks for that reason.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    The pro also has a replaceable silicone gasket between the disk and hopper that helps prevent the leaking with fine powders that the base model had.
    I have one of the old models with the upgrade kit and it works as good as the pro model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast