RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Solve This Problem

About twenty years ago, I had a stack of manuals and notes, maybe a fourth of what you have. I took it to the copy place and they did their magic for $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    After some thought I decided against having a shop scan them. Many, many of the pages were stapled together before punching for the binder. Thus, there is a lot of hand work.
    I called Canon late yesterday and ordered the model referenced in the link above. It's a scanner only, long bed with document feeder. Importantly Canon gives a live cycle expectancy with these machines of 800 pages per day.
    Adobe Acrobat has a decent OCR feature to convert type into text. As these are all emails it should work OK, most of the time.
    I scanned one of the red folders this morning with my little flatbed, it took an hour for about 100 pages. That gives a file size of 47 MB. Good to know so I can be looking at a larger hard drive to store everything on.

Good choice, I use Adobe OCR a lot and it will sometimes gets the words wrong if the type being scanned is messed up. But it is good for about 95% of the cases. I use one of those 1 tetra byte portable UBS disks as a backup drive or to carry very large acad drawing files from office to a clients office. They are not very expensive and very handy.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    How do you san pages from books without busting the spine of the book, or getting a copy that looks like one edge has been stretched and pulled out of line??
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I use an Epson WorkForce WF-7620 All-in-One printer/scanner/fax. It has an automatic document feeder that will feed up to about 35 pages of 20# bond paper, and scan both sides of each page. It will also scan 11x17 Ledger size paper, or A3 paper. You can put a memory card or USB drive in it, and scan to that, so it doesn't even need to be hooked up to a computer. I'm sure there are a lot of other company's machines out there that will do as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    How do you san pages from books without busting the spine of the book, or getting a copy that looks like one edge has been stretched and pulled out of line??
    Very good question and the answer is a bit expensive. There are scanners that have software to flatten the image, these are made especially for books, they work mostly OK.

Or you have to fabricate a "V" device to place the book in, hold the pages open and photograph them.

Banned
    Minerat, that is where I was going, In think this project is going to fill a terabyte disk easily. It's also going to create a need for secure file back-up that I need to think about.

terabyte is nothing any more. go get a 2 or 3tb external drive and save to it. And I've a fairly new hp multi printer that works well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks.
    R.D.M.

Do you have a neighbor that has some teenagers that want to earn some easy cash? During this slow down?

My daughter has done somthing similar for a few people "mainly old slides and negatives"

She was wanting to buy a gadget so she did the work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How to Solve This Problem

I have a business that generates a lot of paperwork which I have to save. I started scanning everything 8 years ago. A $350 dedicated scanner, in my network, seldom jams. I am almost paperless (in storage). Everything gets scanned. The automatic page feeder is essential. Also, at some point I started producing everything on 8.5×11.0 paper. That way, everything fits into the page feeder without fuss.

There are scanner programs which will let you search for a specific words. It takes more bandwidth and data storage to do so, but it’s not unusual. I don’t bother with it, but it works. You have to scan the material with that purpose from the beginning.

I have as much reloading information on my iPhone as in book form, for the 5 calibers which I reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by fn1889m; 03-29-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Banned
    Flying Monkey you have an idea and I have just that sort of neighbor. I will have to explore that option.

Boolit Master

Glad you mentioned backup. On a project of that magnitude I would store copies on the computer plus two separate USB hard drives. After 25 years in IT, most of it for a huge corporation, I would only use Western Digital or Seagate. If the scanner you chose doesn’t work out, I highly recommend the Fujitsu, especially the “Fi” series. They’re built for all day every day use and scan 27 pages/minute with a 50 page paper feeder.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12