Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Solve This Problem

Banned

How to Solve This Problem

I need ideas and now is the time to work on this project. How to copy, catalog and store information. Looking at the attached picture shows the scope of the problem.
    4 shelves, 6 feet long, 24 feet total of e-mail correspondence that needs to be cataloged and put into a quickly searchable format.

All of these binders are a gold mine of reloading tool history and information. The binders are broken down by tool brand and by the sender.

The number of pages is in the thousands, as each binder is about 3 inches thick. I am looking at scanning them one page at a time on my little Canon scanner. Hoping it lives through a single binder.

Once scanned as a PDF the files could be combined into a more accessible format.

Does anyone have a better solution?

Ken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_082533.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	259132

Boolit Master
    Find somewhere that has higher end office equipment that can take a pile of pages and quickly scan them. One at a time scanning might take forever.

It could be a bit pricey, but there are office supply stores that will scan them to digital media in a short amount of time. Once on digital media as PDF's, you can make multiple copies and store them in different areas for security purposes.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I use nested folders to catalogue digital media. It's going to take some time digitizing and organizing it all. Also, naming format of the files will help organize it all.

I have a program that uses nested folders for note taking and can view files. So while I am reloading I can type my notes and ready reference files for information.

For instance:
    - Lifes Work Folder
    - Shotgun sub folder
    -General files on subject
    -Buck sub sub folder
    -Slug sub sub folder
    -Metalic subfolder
    -J words
    - Cast
    - 260 Rem
    - 270 Win
    - Paper patch
    - Lubes

You get the idea. Also, from now on. Use the print to PDF functionality of the computer. Thata how I have amassed my archives. You could add an author category after subject.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I’ve gone to Office Max and Staples with a Thumb Drive and had a pile of pages scanned While-U-Wait.

Don’t know much about computers, but if you have the original emails on your hard drives, there should be some kind of App that brings them up by topic, author, etc, using keywords.

You have my sympathy, Ken. Ever since I moved here and organized my library on a rational, logical basis, I haven’t been able to find anything without a ton of searching and some luck.

Scanning to a searchable database was my sole job for a year at a manufacturing company as an Application Engineer in the late 1990's. I used a high speed scanner using Adobe OCR searchable database, there is now a free application that allows you to use a cell phone to scan docs using your camera, the app is free but i am sure the database costs something.

Putting this in the Cloud would allow for a transportable database and will outlive you in the case you wish to pass it on to someone else in the future.

Banned
    Dapaki you are on to it. I have an idea to scan each binder into a single big PDF. I can make it available on line or offline easily.
    My major concern is scanner life cycle. I don't want to burn up three or four units getting through this, neither do I wish to invest in a 3/4000 dollar machine.
    This not so expensive machine looks capable and has a legal size bed that I really need. I will call Canon and talk to the sales people before placing an order. I have had excellent service from them in the past.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...ormula-dr-f120

Boolit Grand Master

Check with Cannon about renting a "good" scanner to do the job with .
    We had a large project and the company we did our copier/office/blue print machine business with let us rent one for a month to do the work with , I don't remember the rental cost being that expensive , it was a refurbished used machine ... we liked the machine so much we wound up buying it .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-27-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I'd say take it to a copy shop and have them scan to PDF and then take it on a flash drive. See what it will cost to have them break it down by chapter with titles (they can organize it so each sheet is it's own page in a binder labeled PDF). Post the project to split up the and label chapters in the binders otherwise on freelancer and have somebody split things up as you wish. The large copy machines can scan an entire binder in a couple minutes and it won't cost but $20.

Boolit Buddy
    Reminds of my older friend who wanted to scan his pictures one by one...

He died part way through that project. Scanner he talked me into still sits in a box.

Stupid question but can you outsource that work? Maybe kinkos?

Boolit Buddy
    Wow...That's a stack of papers!

So, yeah...This stuff was likely already searchable when it was emails...Like before you printed it all out.

Anyway, now the best bet might be to see if there is a local company you could contract to scan and catalog it all for you. Probably cheaper than buying a proper scanner and software, and much less daunting than doing it as a DIY project...

Banned
    Good advise, I think I'll check with my favorite print shop before I hit send with an order to Canon.

Look at HP My printer suppliers suggested it.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-sc...t-feed-scanner

It can handle legal size too. They make faster ones just cost more.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    My Brother laser/scanner has a page feeder, think it was $130. Lots of self feeding now, even 2 sides. I don't think you want to haul that paper to get it scanned.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Now that Mal Paso mentions it, at home I have a Brother DCP L2550DW combo, scanner, printer, FAX and copier that is wireless. That was close in price to his and it is fast at scanning. It is only BW print but uses toner not ink, but does color scans. 8.5x14 scans too with doc feed. I am very pleased with it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    +1 on a printer with a scanner that has a document feeder

Banned
    I got an old HP Office Jet Pro 8710 from a friend who upgraded. It has a 50 page document feeder and scans. So I can put 50 pages in, scan them to the computer, then put 50 more in.
    This is an older machine that is worth maybe $50. I am sure there are lots of Multi-function printers out there for real cheap or free that will do A LOT better than scanning on a flat bed one page at a time. Printers often stop printing for ink problems while the rest of the functions still work (like scanning) so you shouldn't have any problem getting one for free or cheap.

Boolit Grand Master

We use an app at my last place of work on our phones that lets you take a picture and send the document that way to a computer database. All done on our phones in the truck. Scanned all Bills of Lading like that. Instead of talking a picture and sending it to someone, it took the picture and when you took 8 or 10 you sent it direct to a file. It was how we got paid.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Scanning to a searchable database was my sole job for a year at a manufacturing company as an Application Engineer in the late 1990's. I used a high speed scanner using Adobe OCR searchable database, there is now a free application that allows you to use a cell phone to scan docs using your camera, the app is free but i am sure the database costs something.

Putting this in the Cloud would allow for a transportable database and will outlive you in the case you wish to pass it on to someone else in the future.
    There are lot's of OCR programs out there. Many are free. Some have more of a hard time with formatting of the document. That's why (I think) people use that PDF program that basically creates a picture of the page. You gotta beware of those, Can't edit or isolate words. Can be a pain in the long run. But just getting the data onto a computer shouldn't be that hard.

Boolit Master
    We had a great aunt (a teacher)that typed up a bit of family history it had hand written notes and hand type corrections. Over time it had become quite fragile. My Dad took it to a professional print shop but the job was to small for them, but the owner had a collage student that volunteered to do it after hours on the shops pro equipment for a reasonable price. She did both a PDF and a OCR conversion. OCR is a bit tricky as it types out what it thinks it sees and can often garble words and symbols. She went the extra mile to proof read the conversion and returned any text to the original state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast