RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh my did I mess up!!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    They'll expand in both directions - inside and out.

If anything, he needs to freeze the cases, not that I'd go that route to start with.
    You just dip the 44 case in the water briefly and pull it out before the inside case has a chance to get wet. The outer cartridge will open up just enough to let loose the cooler inside one. Works for me every time I've done it, ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Get some pin nose pliers that fit in the neck. Put the 44 shellholder in a press, run the shell up thru the die hole , pliers in the neck and run shell down. Pliers are held back by the press and they come apart

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Get some pin nose pliers that fit in the neck. Put the 44 shellholder in a press, run the shell up thru the die hole , pliers in the neck and run shell down. Pliers are held back by the press and they come apart
    ^^^^This is a great idea!^^^^

If you don’t have round nose pliers (they are great by the way, I have two pairs), you could insert a Lee Case Length Gauge into the neck of the Bee and clamp down with some “soft jaw” vise grips. I like cut up strips of detergent bottle for this kind of mar free clamping work. Or thin UHMW (the stuff they make plastic cutting boards out of) if you have any.
    The Lee Case Length Gauge is great for this because it is so close to the inside diameter of the necks. The shank of a proper sized drill bit would do the same thing.
    JM
    Last edited by JM7.7x58; 03-26-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added drill bit

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    They'll expand in both directions - inside and out.

If anything, he needs to freeze the cases, not that I'd go that route to start with.
    Freeze then drop em on floor they will bust loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I've had this happen. It's why I stack the cartridge boxes next to the tumbler. So I know what is in the tumbler.

Lyman sells "Brass Baggies" that can be used to tumble different calibers at the same time. Like .32ACP and 10mmAuto.

I have a 10mm case on My bench with a 32ACP stuck in the bottom. It was super glued to My tumblers lid. Guess super glue can't withstand a 35+yr old Lyman Tumbler.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus

cwtebay -- "been there - done that!" -- embarrassed to say, more than twice -- or was three the bad charm? After the first, I gave a bit of thought, and found the shell holder for the larger case. I found -- just by happerstance -- a flat washer with same inside diameter as the shell holder's inner step -- don't recall what it is, but I hope you get the idea. I cut the washer at a tad less than in half with a hack saw, and clamped the near not-cut edge in a pair of vise-grip pliers. I clamped a piece of a brass rod in a bench vise, and put the large case in the washer-held shell holder. Then -- swung it down, with front of vise-grips whacking the brass rod. On a few cases, it was weird where they'd be "loose" -- but still didn't wish to separate. Bion, I found a gentle tap-tap-tap now worked for these. All in all, though, I managed to separate EVERY case; the vise grips weren't hurt; and other than my time, the only other issue was getting tumbling media all over the floor. (Minor annoyance after the fact) This worked for me....
    geo

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the help!!!
    Ended up using the kinetic bullet puller. Tried vibration with both the tumbler and an ocillatiing saw against the cases - worked on a few!!!!
    My boys helped me with it, and we all took the lesson of checking in the tumbler before dumping more cases!!!
    Once again, thank you all!!! Awesome ideas.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    Kinetic bullet puller, put an ear plug in the bottom to soften the blow to the bee case
    This sounds good for bullet too.
    For just pulling bullets that I don't want to bugger up the nose on.... Good Idea! to put an ear plug (foam) in the bottom of the kinetic bullet puller hammer.
    I like it!
    Now, if I can just remember it.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

compressed air and try to blow out the media....or compressed air and blow through the flash hole
    good luck
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Mold
    I've been there - done that! -- embarrassed to say, more than I care to admit: Even got the 'T-shirt'. (I clean a lot of different brass casings and sometimes a rouge or two, gets by me). I usally do it in my 'wet' tumblers so I've really got a mess. Normally pry them apart with pliers or put in the ram prime upside down with approiate shell holders and pry them apart in the press--slowly to avoid pins flying everywhere, for the one's that will not wiggle apart.

You didn't mess up... You just found a new way not to do something lol.

One way to prevent two different size cases mating like that, and still being able to tumble them together, is to put the largest cases in first. Let the tumbler run for a minute to fill the larger cases with media, and then dump in the smaller cases. You may still get a couple mated up, but the number will be minimal.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I dropped 80 pieces of 44 brass (Russian, special, magnum - mixed) into my tumbler on the way through the reloading room and hit the switch last night. Came home to this tonight.....218 Bee was already in there! Anyone have advice to get these apart? I wiggled and pliered the ones that would come. This is what's left!!

Laughing, but with you and not at you! Most all of us have done that, either from not knowing or by accident, like you did. I have been pretty successful getting them loose by hand but it helps if you have tough hands.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Laughing, but with you and not at you! Most all of us have done that, either from not knowing or by accident, like you did. I have been pretty successful getting them loose by hand but it helps if you have tough hands.
    A little bit of explanation - I did start with 50+ pieces stuck like that! I tried wiggling with fingers and pliers and multiple hands. The photo is what was left! I think that the kinetic puller is far simpler than the wiggle method!

Boolit Grand Master

I did that ...once ! Talk about learning the hard way...it teaches you the value of sorting brass before it goes in the tumbler .
    No magic way to get them apart , just keep tapping on them , twisting, turning and pulling on them.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Glad my brute force and ignorance Approach worked out for ya some times it’s the easiest

Like red green says if the woman don’t find you Handsome they should at least find ya handy

Boolit Master
    did that with 45-70 and 357mag brass .wont do that again.

Boolit Buddy
    When I've had few stuck cases in the past (pre-sort now before tumbling) I've used kinetic puller but with large amount press and pliers sounds like better alternative.

Boolit Mold
    I almost did the same thing a couple nights ago.Was ready to pour 400 38 spl in the tumbler and found a bunch of 30-30 in the tumbler when I moved out on the deck.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large in large numbers!!!

"Hope" is not a viable plan and voting for undefined "change" is nothing short of certifiable insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by rustypot View Post
    I almost did the same thing a couple nights ago.Was ready to pour 400 38 spl in the tumbler and found a bunch of 30-30 in the tumbler when I moved out on the deck.
    That combination wouldn't have "nested", and would have been fine to tumble together. You may get a few .38's stuck on the neck of some .30-30's, but it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast