RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7.62X25 Question

7.62X25 Question

Hello all. I just added a Tokarev. I've slugged the bore and it's .312. Cast bullets sized .312 chamber just fine (.313 will chamber but it's tight) So my question is, are any of you shooting any .312 jacketed or plated bullets out of the 7.62X25? I have pistols in 32ACP, 32 H&R and 32-20 so I have some Hornady and Berry's on hand. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded 110 gr plated m1 carbine bullets. Work well. Easier to find recipes for lighter bullets though.

djyan13: Thanks for the reply. The reason for my post above is that the data I find for Jwords in the Tok say the bullet should be .308 or .309 I have heard that some Euro cartridges are loaded with .306 to keep pressures down in High velocity rounds. I'm thinking of trying the 85gr. XTP at .312 with the 90gr XTP .309 data. Just wondering if anyone here had tried this. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I used 100gr 32cal xtps with excellent results. My chamber would release .3125 but the bore was 313. Followed lee 100gr jacketed data at a midrange load of AA#7.

Some feed ramp polishing helped them feed reliably in my Yugo M57. I have posted more about the regretable path I took a few days ago.

Load 1 round into the mag at first...to quickly turn your head to see where the brass flies...you will be suprised how far the toks will chuck brass.

Misery-Whip: Thanks. I have both 85gr and 100gr XTPs on hand and some Berry's 71gr plated. I'll give the XTPs a try and will post how it goes. I'm liking this Romanian Tok. It came to me in near new condition and doesn't feel at all clunky in my hand. First rounds loaded and tested were the Lee 91gr. SWCs powder coated and sized .312. fed nicely. Gp

Boolit Master
    This is what I have tried in my CZ-52 in 7.62x25. This is not a recommendation or claim that these loads are safe and that I have made no mistake in recording the powder charges so take care.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.62xx25.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	259188

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7.62xx25.jpg  
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    My bore is around .313 so I shoot .314s but I have to neck turn a bit to get them to chamber. I also make an 85gr jacketed swc from 50cal BMG spent primers and a lyman 25cal cast boolet with a Swag-o-matic press and some homemade dies. Most of the Toks have a chamber neck that is to small to shoot a big enough boolit without neck turning. My Cz 52 is the same.

Boolit Buddy
    You, sir, are awesome! Wish I could do that... don’t run enough 50 though and getting into swaging is super expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    My bore is around .313 so I shoot .314s but I have to neck turn a bit to get them to chamber. I also make an 85gr jacketed swc from 50cal BMG spent primers and a lyman 25cal cast boolet with a Swag-o-matic press and some homemade dies. Most of the Toks have a chamber neck that is to small to shoot a big enough boolit without neck turning. My Cz 52 is the same.

Thanks to all for the reply's I am lucky in the fact that my Romanian Tok"s barrel slugs .312 and the chamber will accept bullet of .312+ .313 will chamber without neck turning (S&B brass) but too tight for comfort. I loaded a test round with an 85gr. XTP and see if that will feed and function properly. I've formed some 7.62X25 from .223 I have time and like to tinker. (I know, I have Starline also) The problem I'm having is using .308 neck expansion, a .311 bit in the drill press just expands the neck instead of reaming and the mandrel of my Sinclair neck turning tool is to long to get the neck to the cutting blade for turning. What are you using to thin the necks on reformed brass? Thanks. Gp

Boolit Master
    Yeah,normal swaging dies are very expensive and I don't have any for that reason.The old Swag-o-Matic presses can be found for around $100. I bought mine here on the S&S section for $75 with several die sets. You can use a 308 die opened to .312 to .314 (your choice) with the stock ejector pin and SWC top punch. Take a spent 50bmg primer, remove the anvil, install it in the die with a 25cal boolit ( I use the lyman 65gr) squish it in the press and out comes a neat 85gr swc.

I have a HF 7x14 lathe and the die sets are fairly easy to make for other calibers as anything but the normal 308, 357, 429 and 452 are hard to find. The Swag-0-Matic was made to make half jacket bullets but the 50bmg primer and the 65gr 25cat boolit makes an almost full jacket 85gr bullet. I bought 3000 spent primers from a guy that shoots a 50 cal machine gun for $30.
    I use the mini lathe to thin the necks. I made a mandrel to fit the neck in the chuck and a live center in the primer pocket. I have come to the point that my baby lathe is one of the necessities on my loading bench.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 03-27-2020 at 12:06 PM.

mace2364
    I’m working on loading some boolits for 7.62x25. I’m using the Lee 311-93 mold, and sizing .309. I haven’t decided on a load or anything yet. I’m going to make cases from .223(because I have a crap ton and time). I have a few different guns chambered in that. Looking forward to shooting them again.

mace2364
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yeah,normal swaging dies are very expensive and I don't have any for that reason.The old Swag-o-Matic presses can be found for around $100. I bought mine here on the S&S section for $75 with several die sets. You can use a 308 die opened to .312 to .314 (your choice) with the stock ejector pin and SWC top punch. Take a spent 50bmg primer, remove the anvil, install it in the die with a 25cal boolit ( I use the lyman 65gr) squish it in the press and out comes a neat 85gr swc.

I have a HF 7x14 lathe and the die sets are fairly easy to make for other calibers as anything but the normal 308, 357, 429 and 452 are hard to find. The Swag-0-Matic was made to make half jacket bullets but the 50bmg primer and the 65gr 25cat boolit makes an almost full jacket 85gr bullet. I bought 3000 spent primers from a guy that shoots a 50 cal machine gun for $30.
    I use the mini lathe to thin the necks. I made a mandrel to fit the neck in the chuck and a live center in the primer pocket. I have come to the point that my baby lathe is one of the necessities on my loading bench.
    That’s very interesting. I’ve dabbled a bit in swaging, not too much.

I just dropped in from The High Road.
    I'm new here and glad to see you guyz'es posts. I have a Romanian TTC. I have NOT slugged the barrel. I have taken Berrys 71 grain plated bullets and run em' thru a Lee .309 size die. They mike out at .3095" I have worked up to 5.7 grains of Accurate #2 and the gun functions just fine. (not too sure of accuracy.
    I have just ordered the Lee .311 size die and will be testing the same bullets thru it.
    Can I mash one of the .312 bullets down the muzzle to check my bore size or should I get a 32 caliber round ball?
    Thanks
    Maxim House Coffee
    for the full automatic pot

Banned
    Welcome to CB,

I would suggest slugging that barrel BEFORE you go any farther. My tok likes .314 boolits over BE

H&R: Welcome. Any soft lead of a slightly larger than bore size will do. I use soft cast buckshot. Gp P,S Mashing a Berry's bullet down the bore might be somewhat of a struggle. I wouldn't.
    Last edited by gpidaho; 11-28-2020 at 06:26 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my 1953 Polish TT and Cz52 I load the .309" Hornady XTP with 7.4 grains of AutoComp or the Accurate 31-100T plainbased bullet sized .311" and get good accuracy and reliable function. Velocity is close to arsenal ammo.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I too use bullets sized to .311 in my CZ-52. I did not slug the bore. .311" bullets work fine, no leading. Jacketed .308" bullets work fine too. In my earlier post to this thread you can see I shot some saboted rounds, the sabots are .308, they work too.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

My Tok's bore slugged at .310", so there is some variation in these. It seems reasonable that one will achieve greater accuracy, if one avoids undersized bullets.