Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Hatsan model 95QE problem

Boolit Buddy

Hatsan model 95QE problem

I need someone's expertise. I have a hatsan 95QE with about 50 rounds through it. Out of warranty. No response from hatsan usa .
    It cocks with normal amount of pressure. Insert a pellet and pull the trigger. Piston releases but will not shoot the pellet out. It seems like the piston is bouncing. Tried about 6 different pellet types. The bore is not obstructed.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Boolit Master
    Probably a failed piston seal. It seems to be bouncing because there is no cushion from the compressed air behind the pellet.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy

Is that something I can fix?

If your fairly handy, have worked on some airguns, and have access to a new seal, maybe.

Seal should not have gone after 50 rounds. I'd be concerned about a burr or fault in the cylinder causing it.

You might need to hone it out to solve the problem.

I suspect HatsanUSA moves a bit slowly. Keep calling. Rattle their cage until you get at least parts and maybe some help.

Boolit Master
    Yes, you will need a tool to compress and hold the mainspring cap while you disconnect. Then allow a controlled retract to let the pressure off the spring. I would replace the spring as well as the seal. I have used a bar clamp for the task. See if the manufacturer will sell you a seal and spring. There is a specific way and type of lube for spring gun use. There can be no combustable lube to get into the compression tube, it will diesel. That will burn a seal in short order. I have no specific knowledge of your gun, just relating standard spring gun basics. You need a good diagram and would be good to talk with someone familiar with your model. My experience is with the HW models sold by Beeman, so specific disassembly details are different.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Hatsan model 95QE problem

You can do it if you are handy and have the ambition. You will need to build or buy a spring compressor, as well as the right piston seal from Hatsan. I suggest taking it apart first to see what’s going on in there, prior to purchasing parts. Be prepared for a real job. There are a lot of resources online for specific techniques and procedures. It can be dangerous and it cannot be done without the right tools. It does sound like the seal. If it were the piston or spring the cocking force would be much reduced.

That said, I agree that rattling Hatsan’s cage should be the first option. They should make that right, doesn’t mean they will. I suspect the OP’s gun has a nitro piston given that it’s a QE model, so probably no spring to change out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-14-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps of help -- or not -- way back I had a springer with questions similar as yours, as (.177 / bb) would not be propelled. After a bit of coging, I put a very slightly -- just enough to be what it light look like without any real air pressure -- inflated plain-Jane balloon over barrel end, pumped 3 or 4 times, and pulled the trigger. The air propelled just a wee change in balloon -- I had nothing (e.g., another air rifle) at time to compare it to, but reckoned it needed a trip to LGS. He sent it off to an air rifle repair shop, and it turned out to be a warranty repair. I had to suffer only my LGS shipping costs. Fyi.... Good luck with yours.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds right. Don't fire it like this- it will not do the gun any good. Hatsans are a bit complicated to take apart so it is a good idea to watch someone do it first on the internet.