Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 550 happiness?

550 happiness?

Have you ever thought " I really didn't need this 550"? I've been on the fence about buying one for along time. Really trying to talk myself out of it because of the cost. What do yas think?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Grand Master

I am probably not the best person to comment. However, I will anyway! I have had a Dillon 550B since they hit the market (started with a Dillon 450) after several years with a variety of single stages and turrets).

I presently have two Dillon 550B’s. I am set up for 11 different calibers, both rifle and pistols. However, currently loading just handgun loads.

I am completely satisfied in both the reloaders AND Dillons famous customer service.

I recommend Dillon to anyone that is serious about their reloading and shoot enough to justify a progressive press.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Like Dale53 I too have two Dillon 550's loading 9 handgun calibers and 223 rem (other rifle calibers I prefer to load on single stage presses). One is set up for large primer and the other for small primer. Really nice machines and Dillon backs them up all the way.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first 550 in ‘86 and immediately kicked myself for not getting one sooner. Then as I became very active in IPSC and later CAS I was going through tons of pistol Ammo. I bought my first 1050 in ‘05 and beat myself up for not getting one sooner.

I now have 2/550s and 3/1050s with no regrets. I will add that those purchases were painful and set me back, but well worth it.

I will say though, when time is not an issue and mass quantities are not necessary, I really enjoy loading on vintage equipment.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

I load all my pistol stuff on a square deal b, so the 550 would be all rifle, 223, 30-30, 30-06 maybe 38-55 and 375 and whatever else I end up with
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Grand Master
    The 550 is ok. I have two. The only downsides...does not auto index...cannot mount a powder check die unless you seat and crimp in one operation.

But for most people who shoot less than 5000 rounds it is a good fit. The cheap caliber conversions are attractive

I prefer the 1050...have two...for bulk loading.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I bought my 550 about 1995 and am very happy with it. I like the manual index. It's just the right machine for my loading needs. I have heard of their no BS warranty but have never had the need to use it.

I have a 550. It’s reliable and produces great ammunition. I added the pistol case feeder to it. I can’t think of a better press. I looked at other brands and decided on this one because the caliber charge was easy and the reputation was great. You won’t regret your purchase.

I started with a 550b in 1992 great machine! I load various pistol cal. on it. Several years later I came across a SDB set up for 45acp for $75.00 so all 45's are done on it now. Last year I got a deal on a used /new 650 set up with 223 and 308 and 45acp with lots of extras, bullets, powder, brass, strong mount, case feeder, tool head and stand, etc etc. for $1300.00 so now I load 223 & 308 rifle cal.on it Just started loading rifle when I bought it. I guess I'm a big Blue fan....lol
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I found one used from a guy that was getting out of the game, I almost felt bad at the time but the guy's wife wanted it gone. I got his whole reloading room for $350.
    That was in 2004 and have loaded tones of bullets on the thing. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Boolit Master

A friend an I went halves on a 550b quite a few years ago. I didn't have a place for it so it was set up in his shop. I hardly used it because it was so inconvenient to go there to reload. He lost interest so I bought his half and by this time I had a small shop to put it in. I only load handgun on it. I have full changeovers for .45ACP, 9mm, .40 and .38/.357. The .40 was the last setup so it has the improved(?) powder drop setup. I have tried to simplify the changeover from one to another by gathering up a bunch of small primer .45ACP so all loading done on the 550 is with small primers.

I made the decision a long time ago to only load those cartridges on the Dillon. All rifle and .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 L are done single stage. There are a couple of other handgun cartridges that I haven't decided if I'm going to be active enough with them to make it worth it to set up the 550. I did break down and get a Redding T-7 so odds are that I'll just maintain the status quo for now.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

I love mine. Works at my pace. I have four quick changes setup with two in the wings. Also grabbed a five head holder off of Etsy. Thing works great for storing my changes. Good luck.

I have had a 650 forever. Got a 550 a couple years ago and love it. Load my 308, 30-06 and 45acp on it. Nerver have to change the primer setup or the shell plate.

Boolit Master
    I am still using the same 550 I got in 1986 and added up grades as they came out.
    I like being able to use it as a progressive or single stage.

Boolit Master

I have owned my 550 since at least 1990. It does what it is supposed to. I tried moving up to a 650, but didn't like it and went back to the 550, as I enjoy the slower pace and more relative safety of the 550 due to its slower pace that lets me check everything at all stages. Fixing mistakes is also far easier than w/ the 650, as is caliber changes.

Just suck it up and buy the darn thing, especially if you load >1000-rounds a year per caliber.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Got 2 used 550B's, one large priming system & another for small. Both got the newer powder drop activation/reset.
    Manual indexing compared to auto ones gives opportunity to control pace/quality & easier to avoid double charge.
    I only prime pistol loads on 'em & need to be alert as it can go sideways if not caught early on. Powder drop is as good as it gets.
    I still load big bore rifles single-stage though.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

I've got a pair of 650's sitting on the bench.

Come to the Blue side.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Have two, one for small primers and the other for large. Not necessary, but nice. Lots of info on how to improve on them if you feel the desire. I would recommend a light system as a really nice accessory. Mine are mounted on the strong mounts with the bullet trays etc. I still keep my single stages for special needs or desires. Not a speed demon and I check my powder weights more than necessary but it is what I prefer. If I only could have one press, it would be the 550.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    I have a 550,650 and 1050. The 550 is the best press Dillon ever made. Not having a auto index is no big deal. The 550 just works. If I could only have one it would be the 550.

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I like the 550, but I have never used a 650 or 1050.
    I like having quick changes for all of my calibers. 2 minutes to change calibers. 5 minutes if I have to change primer sizes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast