WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: I am in a predicament: a 20 MOA base for short-range shooting - possible?

Angry I am in a predicament: a 20 MOA base for short-range shooting - possible?

Currently I have 2x Rem 783 that came with two-piece Weaver bases. I sold the no-name scopes that they came with and have to scope them with something more decent.
    The problem is that up here in Canada absolutely no one has 0 MOA single-piece bases in stock due to the bug.
    My trusted supplier has 20 MOA Weaver bases at a decent price.
    I am not going to use the rifles for anywhere further out than probably 200 yards.
    Is it feasible to still put the 20 MOA Base on, shimmed on the front, to compensate for the 20 MOA incline? Or am I talking nonsense?

if you have no planes to shoot past 200 yards why would the 2 piece mount be an issue,
    could you file at the rear of the base until you get the correct thickness, it would be trail and era,

Boolit Grand Master

20 MOA in a base may barely zero at 200 probably not at 50-100.If you want a zero base it can be done in the way we used to get 20 moa before they were available. Measure the base front and back see what the taper is and cut a shim that thick. bolt it under the front of the mount. Test it and if its what you want you can bed the rail at a later date with epoxy bedding compound. coat the receiver down with release and bed around the shim. when cured bed in the shim area.

Boolit Master

Depending on your rifle, you may be just fine with the 20 moa mount. Or you could get Burris signature rings with the inserts and correct the offset back to 0. The insert kit has 0.005", 0.010", and 0.020" offset inserts, which roughly equate to 5, 10, and 20 moa. If you use them in both rings, then you can get up to 40 moa out of the rings.

My next question will be, if I will put a 0.02" shim under the front, would I need to put a 0.005" shim under the front screw of the back, in order to prevent the base from bending between the front and back and from the back putting more strain on its front screw? Or is just the 0.02" shim under the front, plus the bedding, going to be sufficient?
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-26-2020 at 07:26 AM.

I like the unfettered access to the action opening that two piece bases provide. IMO I would leave the 20 moa base at the store and just buy good scopes for those Remingtons.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I like the unfettered access to the action opening that two piece bases provide. IMO I would leave the 20 moa base at the store and just buy good scopes for those Remingtons.
    I hear you! But Remmy 783 is not like any 700 that you might know. It only has an narrow extraction window that is impossible to feed through. You only feed 783 with a magazine, period. So no, the single piece base does not really obstruct anything in this model.

The 2-piece bases are 1) Weaver and 2) quite thin around the screw holes. #1 does not allow much flexibility in placing the scope, while #2, ironically, allows some flexibility of the base under the recoil of 30-06. If they were 308 or 243, I would not have hesitated to leave the 2-piece bases on, as long as they allowed me to place the rings and scope where I want them to be.

I put a 20 MOA base on my rifle, zero’d it at 100 yards and I don’t have issues.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I put a 20 MOA base on my rifle, zero’d it at 100 yards and I don’t have issues.
    And you did not run out of elevation... Which scope do you have on it, if you do not mind me asking?

I understand now. Either shim the 20moa base or use extension rings are your options until a regular one piece base can be had. Good luck with it regardless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I have 3 rifles with 20 moa bases all zeroed at 100 yards. I never knew running out of elevation would be a problem. But I will say if you mostly intend to shoot at 100 yards a 0 moa would probably be better.

Boolit Master

Put the front on the back, and the back on the front - then shot "Under The Target".

Seriously; using the bases and scope you have - shimming is your only option.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I've got a 20MOA base on my Howa using a BSA Tactical weapons scope with 60MOA of adjustment, I'm zeroed at 100 yards with 8MOA more down adjustment. Every scope I mounted on it would get a 100 yard zero. You probably will be fine. try it without shims to begin with.

Boolit Master

I have several 20 moa bases on different rifles, and no issues sighting at close range.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper