RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What You Fixing to Plant

Boolit Grand Master

What You Fixing to Plant

It's about that time of year to start thinking about home grown and vine ripened tomato's for them BLT's .
    Got some free time so I have the beds all prepped and ready for planting.
    Last year I waited until after Good Friday to plant (that's what Dad always did) but the summer came on so darn fast and so darn hot my plants didn't make much before the heat put the brakes on tomato production.
    Managed to find some nice Celebrity and Better Boy plants before the nursery had to close for ...you know why...
    Also grabbed some TAM Jalapeno Pepper plants and a new pepper I've never grown...
    "Lunchbox Red Sweet Snacking Pepper" ...ain't that a handle ? I was looking for Gypsy Pepper plants , wife and I really like these and I pickle all I grow every year...
    I'll find some later .
    Of course I have red and green okra to plant , saved seeds from last years crop and for some reason the wife wants to grow a pumpkin...she don't even like pumpkin pie .. I don't know why she wants to grow some, but I learned a long time ago is best to just go along with the program...when mamma's happy , everybody's happy !
    Last year we grew watermelons....way to easy to grow....I don't have any desire to eat any more water melon for awhile .

So tell us ...what you gonna plant this year ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

we got peppers, tomatoes, squash, cabbage, brockley, and herbs all started, hopefully they will go to the greenhouse in a week or so then in the ground by first of may. got the main garden disced today so all I got to do is sweep and mulch it just before planting. picked up 60 pounds of sweet corn seed and 50 pounds of seed potatoes so we should have a fairly large garden this year, had not planed to garden at all but the shut down changed our mind.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I plan to plant the usual assortment of tasty veggies. However, considering some of the craziness of late, I also plan to plant whomever thinks what's mine is his. Face down hands behind their head, on the phone with dispatch, and let the professionals pull that weed off my property.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I have a brown thumb so no planting for me. I will trade beef and jerky with a friend for his homegrown vegges.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I have a brown thumb so no planting for me. I will trade beef and jerky with a friend for his homegrown vegges.

BB
    That sounds like a good plan
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Tomatos, okra, squash and lots of peppers and zucchini. Im getting low on pepper and zucchini relish...…………………….curdog

Boolit Master
    I wondered when this thread would start!

Cabbage, red and green looking great, red and white rashes, leaf lettuce, and onions are all up and looking fantastic despite all the rain! My stock tomatoes (Roma) are are about 2 inches high and sitting in the real sun shine rite now. I usually don't plant sweet corn because so many farm kids around here plant it, and you can buy all you want cheap. Besides, our ground is saturated with more rain in the forecast. All of our farm and feed stores are open if one needed plants, but on top of the wet, it's a little early for frost sensitive plants, need to wait a few more weeks. It offs looking like I may have some fruit this year as well!

Part of the reason I grow a garden is to give to others. If someone's family is in enough NEED that they would steal from my garden, just ask and we'll eat as long as I have food to share, we're all eating! I'm suspecting we may have more gardeners this year.

Boolit Master

Have to wait until the ground is not frozen in our elevated beds. Then it will be three sisters to start (Corn/Beans/Squash).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    It is still a bit cold here with frosty mornings to do much more than early plantings of cooler weather crops. I have gotten my onions and Ozette potatoes in the ground and an early seeding of lettuce, spinach, arugula, and radishes. Cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peppers are at least a month away. My mason bee tubes that have been in the refrigerator all winter go out to their houses today so they will be ready for my apples and asian pears when they bloom.

Boolit Buddy
    Corn
    Beans
    Potato

Boolit Master

We're delayed planting and planning, due to moving house. Because we're in a temporary home, without a lot of tillable yard, we will probably do some plants in the strawbale method. Heirloom tomatoes for sure and maybe hot peppers. I've given up growing stuff we can get easily at the supermarket, or which takes up a lot of space for the yield. Once we move out a little closer to the country we'll have a bigger plot and get some more fruit trees too (can't go full country, due to the commute and having married a girl raised in downtown Miami).

Bulldogger

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    It's about that time of year to start thinking about home grown and vine ripened tomato's for them BLT's .
    Got some free time so I have the beds all prepped and ready for planting.
    Last year I waited until after Good Friday to plant (that's what Dad always did) but the summer came on so darn fast and so darn hot my plants didn't make much before the heat put the brakes on tomato production.
    Managed to find some nice Celebrity and Better Boy plants before the nursery had to close for ...you know why...
    Also grabbed some TAM Jalapeno Pepper plants and a new pepper I've never grown...
    "Lunchbox Red Sweet Snacking Pepper" ...ain't that a handle ? I was looking for Gypsy Pepper plants , wife and I really like these and I pickle all I grow every year...
    I'll find some later .
    Of course I have red and green okra to plant , saved seeds from last years crop and for some reason the wife wants to grow a pumpkin...she don't even like pumpkin pie .. I don't know why she wants to grow some, but I learned a long time ago is best to just go along with the program...when mamma's happy , everybody's happy !
    Last year we grew watermelons....way to easy to grow....I don't have any desire to eat any more water melon for awhile .

So tell us ...what you gonna plant this year ?
    Gary
    I love Tam Jalapenos. The one I grow are no heat, just like bell peppers. As far as planting, way to many to list. Have onions, potatoes ,cabbage ,collards, cauliflower and spinach in the ground.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    Tomatos, okra, squash and lots of peppers and zucchini. Im getting low on pepper and zucchini relish...…………………….curdog
    Pepper and Zucchini relish ? Sounds interesting ,I like stuff like this but have never tried it...
    do you have a favorite recipe you would care to share ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

New garden spot will get peas, beets, squash, cauliflower and maybe corn. Traditional last frost is June 10-20th but we will try to get things in to the ground by Memorial day. Tomatoes will go next to the house on the sun side out of the wind.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Tomatoes
    peppers
    sweet corn
    summer squash
    winter squash
    egg plant
    green beans
    yellow beans
    onions
    peas
    pop corn
    plant more rhubarb
    plant more asparagus
    plant a new patch of strawberries
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Every year about harvest time, July somptin I say I ain’t doing this no more. About Feb 14, had planted 3 (200’ ) rows red Lasoda tators. Today planted the pole beans. And getting the tomato cages ready. Got plans to put in about 1/2 acre purple hull peas for me and the deer.

Moderator Emeritus

Planning stage, cold weather stuff will go in mid April or so, rest of the garden Memorial Weekend. 4 heirloom tomatoes, pole beans, 2 rows carrots, a sprouting broccoli, cabbage, hot peppers, 4 types of lettuce, radishes, onions, potatoes(they seem to taste so much better than store bought)... I am sure I am forgetting something!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Tomatoes
    peppers
    sweet corn
    summer squash
    winter squash
    egg plant
    green beans
    yellow beans
    onions
    peas
    pop corn
    plant more rhubarb
    plant more asparagus
    plant a new patch of strawberries
    Wow !!!
    That's one heck of a garden .
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Planning stage, cold weather stuff will go in mid April or so, rest of the garden Memorial Weekend. 4 heirloom tomatoes, pole beans, 2 rows carrots, a sprouting broccoli, cabbage, hot peppers, 4 types of lettuce, radishes, onions, potatoes(they seem to taste so much better than store bought)... I am sure I am forgetting something!
    Another super mega garden ! I'm impressed .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Another super mega garden ! I'm impressed .
    Gary
    90% of the veg I eat comes form my own garden. I am building a small hydroponic setup for the kitchen bay window to grow lettuce/spinach/other green in winter so I can avoid the e-coli roulette with store bought greens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast