Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: What type of accuracy are you getting with the Rhineland 45acp conversions?

What type of accuracy are you getting with the Rhineland 45acp conversions?

What type of accuracy are you getting with the Rhineland 45 acp Mauser conversion and with what loads?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Don't have the Rhineland conversion, but a Marlin 1894 conversion and also a break-open single-shot by John Taylor.

Many years ago I tested a rebored, suppressed Remington M40 converted to .45 ACP by NASC Crane, IN for USN with 10X Unertl.

Bottom line... Ordinary .45 ACP handgun ammunition fired from an industrial test barrel and Universal Receiver will to at best 5-6 minutes of angle for ten-shot groups firing ordinary ball and 3-4 minutes for Match grade ball from the 1:16" twist barrel. Commercial JHP bullets will do 2-3 moa in refined hand loads if fired in a slow twist barrel of 20-28 inches per turn. Heavy-for-caliber cast bullets will do as well if they fit the throat correctly and you use match-prepped brass with uniformed primer pockets and flash holes.

If the case is well supported in a strong action, using small primer pocket cases with Federal 205 Match primers in a compressed nominal case full of WC665, H110, WC680, W296, #2400 you can match .44-40 Winchester velocities, about 1300 fps with a 200-grain jacketed bullet. The Hornady XTP is the most accurate in a 1:28" twist barrel. Group size will be about DOUBLE at 100 yards in the common 1:16" twist .45 ACP barrel.

However, the common 1:16" twist .45 ACP barrel will be VERY satisfying with Accurate 45-290H and a compressed nominal case full of IMR4227 and be subsonic for use with suppressor.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Last week I shot these two groups with my M98 Rhineland conversion at 50 yards just elbows on bench no bags. Was checking for POI variation between my two most used loads. Top group is 3 mags (21 rounds) with the lee 230 TC over 5 gr Bullseye. Bottom group (8 shots) is the 200 gr Hornady XTP over 7.5 Unique. The large cluster of shots in each group is indicative of the accuracy when a solid rest with bags is used.

Attachment 253725

Attachment 253726
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Last week I shot these two groups with my M98 Rhineland conversion at 50 yards just elbows on bench no bags. Was checking for POI variation between my two most used loads. Top group is 3 mags (21 rounds) with the lee 230 TC over 5 gr Bullseye. Bottom group (8 shots) is the 200 gr Hornady XTP over 7.5 Unique. The large cluster of shots in each group is indicative of the accuracy when a solid rest with bags is used.

Attachment 253725

Attachment 253726
    Nice I hope to do as well

Boolit Master
    I've tried a couple of different handloads using both boolits and J word. Because the Mauser is a carbine instead of a pistol, and can handle much stiffer loads, I did some experimenting with +P loads using Blue Dot and HS-6. I discovered that in all cases increasing the loads to +P decreased the accuracy in exchange for an increase in velocity that wasn't worth the effort. the 45 big slugs, traveling slow and cast of softer alloys, have all the knock down power that a gun like this will ever need. The best loads that work well in a 1911 are the most accurate loads in a 45 Mauser. I generally use the powder coated RCBS 230 grain LRN over 6.0 grains of Unique as standard. 185 grain SWC's shoot good over this same charge as well. I haven't been to the range in a while, but I was getting 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 50 yards off the bench. Want to add that I crowned the muzzle because Rhineland left it a little rough.

First group I fired at 100 yards using a 3 moa red dot.
    Load was 4.7 gr bullseye, WW primers, mixed brass with the lee 230 gr round nose.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I've tried a couple of different handloads using both boolits and J word. Because the Mauser is a carbine instead of a pistol, and can handle much stiffer loads, I did some experimenting with +P loads using Blue Dot and HS-6. I discovered that in all cases increasing the loads to +P decreased the accuracy in exchange for an increase in velocity that wasn't worth the effort. the 45 big slugs, traveling slow and cast of softer alloys, have all the knock down power that a gun like this will ever need. The best loads that work well in a 1911 are the most accurate loads in a 45 Mauser. I generally use the powder coated RCBS 230 grain LRN over 6.0 grains of Unique as standard. 185 grain SWC's shoot good over this same charge as well. I haven't been to the range in a while, but I was getting 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 50 yards off the bench. Want to add that I crowned the muzzle because Rhineland left it a little rough.
    I've found pretty much the same thing. My standard 45 ACP cast loads shoot the best. Any PB'd cast bullet pushed over 1100 fps loses accuracy. GC'd cast bullet hold accuracy as well as jacketed bullets.

GC'd and jacketed bullets can be pushed to some surprising velocities for the 45 ACP but I seldom shoot any because, with the suppressor, I keep the loads sub-sonic. The 230 cast lee TC bullet over 5 gr Bullseye at 1060 fps does all I want the rifle to do.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Then my group was normal?

Boolit Grand Master
    Considering a three minute dot will cover most of your shots, I think it is great. Maybe try a scope with crosshairs to see what it is actually capable of.

Robert

5 shots in 3-4” at 100 yards with any .45 ACP is great in my book. I would try a scope as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Then my group was normal?
    Yes, agreed it was probably "normal"......given a 4" (+/-) five shot group at 100 yards with a 3 moa dot I'd say better than normal as in pretty darn good.....
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Thanks Guy's makes me feel better.

Boolit Master
    Mine has always been very accurate. I set the rear sight at 300 meters and I can hit anything I shoot at out to 30 yds. or so. Never shot paper with it.