Thread: It's Starting Agin - .22 LR Not to be Found

Boolit Master
    Here is another classic to cheer you all up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-68869-30938-garage_full_of_ammo.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	259250

I don’t think this is like past panics. They were because people thought that ammo & guns were going to be outlawed or severely restricted. This time around I think the media has the public whipped into the idea that civilization is going to go Mad Max.

Banned

in this new millennium, the takeaway of threads like this is why it's not a bad idea to have a bit of a "prepper mindset", at least these dayze for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    It is truly a pleasure to be surrounded by like minded folks! I am shooting 22s that were purchased in the late 80s and early 90s now. I have always bought a few boxes when I found a good deal and had the bucks to buy. Made it through the tough times without a problem and when all those millions of rounds that were back ordered showed up and suppliers dumped them at reasonable prices, I bought a few. I have forced myself to stop buying. As it stands now, at my age and with my physical limitations, I will never run out. I probably can say the same about most of the other calibers and gauges that I shoot. I sit here in my bunker with my ammo and TP and a couple of cases of Spam and watch the world go by and think to myself: Life is Good!

If you're low on something it's you're own darned fault.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

Wally by me has Winchester 555 and 333 behind glass in stock at normal prices. Just saying - I dont need any. I've been buying about 100 CCI Mini Mags a week since the last drought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lots at 4-5 cents at Gunbot but their "out of stock" checkbox seems broken ATM

Banned
    Just speculating here, but I wonder if we are dedicating our shipping resources to food, medical supplies,.....toilet paper?

I'm sure there's a decease in supplies of .22 due to panic and hoarding but there could be other factors at play as well.

When people are scared they are not driven by logic. A person that has no need for more .22 ammo will see a nearly empty shelf of .22 ammo will buy the last boxes out of fear as opposed to need.

Boolit Master
    Stay clear of that Winchester stuff it’s garbage.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    It is truly a pleasure to be surrounded by like minded folks! I am shooting 22s that were purchased in the late 80s and early 90s now. I have always bought a few boxes when I found a good deal and had the bucks to buy. Made it through the tough times without a problem and when all those millions of rounds that were back ordered showed up and suppliers dumped them at reasonable prices, I bought a few. I have forced myself to stop buying. As it stands now, at my age and with my physical limitations, I will never run out. I probably can say the same about most of the other calibers and gauges that I shoot. I sit here in my bunker with my ammo and TP and a couple of cases of Spam and watch the world go by and think to myself: Life is Good!
    You are one of the smart ones. It is unlikely I will live long enough to use up 1/2 of what I have put away. If the SHTF, I structured my inventory to be able to supply neighbors as well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You are one of the smart ones. It is unlikely I will live long enough to use up 1/2 of what I have put away. If the SHTF, I structured my inventory to be able to supply neighbors as well.

Hey Don -- strange how those of us who live up north here are of like minds. Haven't posted in a year or so but never went away. Hope the corona stays away from you guys, we do have a case of it in Petoskey.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I remember during the Hussein panic -- one local gun shop was selling 100 rounds of 22LR bagged up in zip locks bags for $10 a bag. No particular brand. I was quietly comfortable with what I had stored up. And still have enough.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

I never thought I would be able to shoot up my "Stash" of .22's I collected over the years. Instead; I saw it (and other ammunition I have slowly bought and stored) as "TRADE GOODS" for hard times. If I were out of work/or cash poor, If we had a Crisis and Neighbors had something I needed but would trade - knowing that most people did not buy ammunition and set it aside, they might need it in times of crisis so it (particularly the .22LR) would be good trade goods. Knowing that "Making Change" when buying something with that silver or gold coin could be problematic as the coin's value exceeded what was being traded for, that sequestered Ammo could be a good means of "Making Change" on the purchase.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I’m good on .22’s, learned my lesson waaayyyy back!!! Never again be caught.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Jeff Cooper wrote once that in hard times, 22 ammo becomes "ballistic wampum."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Hey Don -- strange how those of us who live up north here are of like minds. Haven't posted in a year or so but never went away. Hope the corona stays away from you guys, we do have a case of it in Petoskey.

Art
    We do tend to be more prepared than most. Not sure if it is a Northern MI thing or a rural thing. I have the resources to be prepared for myself and others. It is surprising how getting rid of "toys" accumulated for decades but that I hardly ever shot freed up the resources to secure redundant weapons, and enough components to supply ammunition to a small (or not so small LOL) army. I sold off a lot of stuff that was nice to have, and netted about $25k. That buys a lot of "useful" guns and components.

Some guys have 100+ molds. Even at only $50 each that is $5000 invested in "fun". I cannot imagine having even 30 molds. It would screw up my KISS way of doing things. Two molds for the .38/.357, one for the 9mm, one for the .40 and one for the .45 meet my pistol needs. Rifle molds are one for the 5.56 and two for the .30's, but hope to never use them. The rifle caliber molds are for back up. Shotgun needs met with a slug and buckshot mold if the SHTF, and 60-80 bags of shot for hunting and trap.

As to the Covid-19, so far no cases in Montmorency county where we live, and 17 in neighboring Otsego where Gaylord is. We have not been to Gaylord for 14 days so we are past the incubation period. We can go for months if need be but miss fresh fruit and veggies.

We should get together once this passes. I have a 100 yard range off my back porch and looking at extending it to 200 yards this year. My fiancé loves to shoot too. Lots of good old boys around here and we have a lot of laughs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Its a northern thing . Think winter when it is blizzarding you can even see outside let alone go get it. So we just stock up food ammo,beer ,you name it. They don't really have that problem south .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    Its a northern thing . Think winter when it is blizzarding you can even see outside let alone go get it. So we just stock up food ammo,beer ,you name it. They don't really have that problem south .
    true.

we have tornado, flood, drought, etc.
    although the longest we were without grid power was due to, wait for it, ice storm.
    almost 2 weeks to get the grid power back on.

we were fine though since 'be prepared' is not a geographical thing.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    22lr was available in spades over the last two Christmas seasons. Most of the non-expensive/target stuff ran from $.04 to $.06 at either gun shows or larger stores.

Banned
    When people are scared they do not behave rationally.

A "run" on a product is no different than a "run" on a bank. If people think there is a chance they will not be able to get something they will attempt to get what they can, while they still can. The current toilet paper shortage is a good example.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast