WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: It's Starting Agin - .22 LR Not to be Found

Boolit Buddy

It's Starting Agin - .22 LR Not to be Found

See Midwayusa pretty well out of .22 LR again as are many of local stores since the virus got busy the past couple of weeks.

And we were just getting a good steady supply......

I never really could figure that thing with the .22's out. Can't easily reload it so have to buy it. But one has to wonder is this a case of people snapping it up because there was a shortage before? Or did they maybe get caught short before?

Having seen shortages and wild price spikes in the past going back to at least when Bill Clinton was President I just don't understand why people by now are not just storing enough on hand to cover how long a panic buying or hoarding situation will last. If you didn't buy 22's when they became available and don't have them already in sufficient supply my question is why not?

I would think people who have a hobby of playing with stuff that can blow up in ones hand or in front of ones face and is designed to be fatal at one end would be better at planning. Apparently the users of ___________ <- name of powder here] are not.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    I bought a box or 2 every time I saw it and had the money. I had plenty the last shortage too, just got to think ahead and buy when it's cheap. I'm sure I'll get rid of some of it at what it cost me like I did last time to friends and relatives. Since it is the only thing I don't reload I try to keep a good stock of it.

Boolit Master
    I have a pretty good supply too. I had bought boxes, etc and the bulk packs fairly often. I have lots of them already, so I never tried to look for ammo when the virus stuff happened. I have a lot of other caliber stuff too and I can reload for all of them as well.

Yeah weird about people. 22 LR ammo is like toilet paper. It has me wondering how many people didn't have a gun to use the ammo in too.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I still have .22's leftover from 2008-09 when no centerfire was available and nobody wanted them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    "Sure as shootin' - excuse the pun - if people even have an inkling the there "might be a shortage" - there will be as they will rush out and start hoarding - think not? Consider what has been going on with toilet paper . . . . .

There was a thread a few days ago where a member was looking for Aguila Super Colibri. I checked Midway and Sportsmans Guide out of curiosity, and almost all .22 ammo was sold out with only a few of the cheaper choices like Remington Thunderbolts remaining. However, .22 Ammo may still be available in the brick and mortar chain stores. On my last trip to town, 3/10/20, Bi-Mart was fully stocked and had one end of an isle stacked with the Black Box bulk .22s. But, it's fair to observe that anyone who lived through the last long dry spell should have been stocking up to the best of their financial ability. Since that time, and since .22 ammo became available again, I've purchased a brick every month, mostly Federal and American Eagle at reasonable prices. So much so, in fact, that I got tired of buying it and plastic ammo cans to store it in, and I'm pretty certain I'll never buy another box of .22s in my lifetime. So, you won't find me competing with you for what's available, or standing in long lines like during the last shortage to be told I could buy 2 boxes whenever a shipment came in.

Quote Originally Posted by mfraser264 View Post
    See Midwayusa pretty well out of .22 LR again as are many of local stores since the virus got busy the past couple of weeks. And we were just getting a good steady supply......
    MidwayUSA has plenty of 22 LR. I see 35 different products.

Boolit Master
    I'm done buying 22lr. I went through the Obummer years with plenty of 22 and then picked up a bunch more in the last couple of years. The wife and I have been stocking up on the things we use from food to cleaning supplies and yes even TP for the last twenty years or so. We have done this so that if some unknown event should happen, we can get through it. We retired and bought a place outside a small town over 50 miles to a larger city, to provide for us and our kids and grand kids if needed. People have been reminded over and over that shortages happen. If they haven't learned by now, they probably never will. Not my fault and I'm sorry for them, but I can't fix stupid.

Boolit Master
    Only 22 ammo I have bought in the last couple of years was three boxes of CCI standard velocity for my new Ruger Wrangler. It was suggested that it would like it, and it did. I tried most other brands of 22 ammo, and it was the best in the Wrangler. I do believe in "diversity" in 22 ammo. Other than that I am cool on 22, and was even during the Hussein 22 crisis.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod13 View Post
    I bought a box or 2 every time I saw it and had the money. I had plenty the last shortage too, just got to think ahead and buy when it's cheap. I'm sure I'll get rid of some of it at what it cost me like I did last time to friends and relatives. Since it is the only thing I don't reload I try to keep a good stock of it.
    The most 22 I have "used" in the last 10 years was giving my sisters youngest grandson some for when he goes up north with his family he can get some "range time" in.

During the tribulations post Sandy Hook the kid was still shooting my Y2K stash. I like to keep a supply on hand since I can't reload it and can use it but I seldom do. When wife spent more time shooting she liked a 22 rifle. Hey with luck maybe the shortage of 22 ammo will drive down the rifle prices again! During the last shortage the price for a nice .22 rifle with scope dropped by at least a third if not to half price. No ammo so no buyers. Plenty of sellers.

Not to be ill wishing anyone but if there was a shortage of 45 colt and 45 ACP ammo to drive those firearms down in price it could work out well for my shopping needs.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up some cases when the price was right. Only reason I bought my last case only a week or so ago was I had just acquired a Marlin 57 22 mag. Luckily it was a few days before the price increases.

Boolit Buddy
    Woohoo!! I can finally unload the crates I got stashed away!!!

My daughter enjoys plinking with her 10/22 and we occasionally fling 22lr at squirrels. I did recently 'restock' as I was placing a Midway order for j-words and they had some on sale. Apparently I beat the panic, as most everything seemed readily available when I ordered. (Maybe a week ago?). I'm set for pretty much everything at this point....except guns. I probably need more guns.

"Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    MidwayUSA has plenty of 22 LR. I see 35 different products.
    If you look closely most of it says "out of stock" and lots of it says "no backorder".

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I stocked up last year when prices were so low before Christmas.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    If you look closely most of it says "out of stock" and lots of it says "no backorder".
    If you look closely you can check a box that filters out all the out of stock items. That leaves 35 22 LR brands that are in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been watching online auctions for the past 6 months or so. Have picked up a few things for below value. One thing I noticed was the ammo prices were relatively stable and not going for outrageous prices. This week, an auction I was watching had the prices for the ammo go sky high - double and triple from a couple weeks ago. Go figure. Also looking at the amount and calibers of ammo on the auction houses, someone must have been hoarding the ammo and then passed away with the ammo going up on auction sites from estates. Some of the ammo is very old - I recognize the boxes from when I was a teenager - I am now 68.

Boolit Master
    I am about the same age. Thinking back on it. Seems like only 22 ammo around here in those days was Win. Super X, and maybe Remington Golden bullets. I remember when min-mags came out in about 67?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

The 22's available at Midway are the expensive target specialty stuff. The run of the mill stuff is not available. If I had to I could get 22 ammo but like others I stocked up a bit on CCI stuff and have a box of Winchester bulk.

DEP

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast