RepackboxWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: It's Starting Agin - .22 LR Not to be Found

Boolit Master

I have not received any advertising from good old Dunhams for a week or longer. They were reliable for 22 ammo recently to the tune of $.03 a shot for armscore or Federal ammo. I drove by them today and they look closed.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My fave Aguila Super Extra can be had for reasonable prices here, I pick up a couple of boxes every time I see it. I think alot of folks don't buy it 'cause its from South of the Border, more for me!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I kinda understand the run on toilet paper. If I get creative I can even picture a run on 22 ammo to get someone through the virus. But last night I was casting up some 9mm boolits and got frustrated with my mold. It's given me fits for the last few casting sessions and I finally had enough. I turned off the pot, went inside and grabbed the iPad. A quick check showed Midway was out of most 9mm molds, as were 3-4 other sites I checked. Heck, even eBay was showing premium prices being asked for used molds. I finally ordered one direct from Lee, but there's no telling when it'll show up. I cannot understand a run on casting 'tools'. If you're set up for casting you probably already have the molds you need, and they last for decades. Yes, you might want a few thousand consumable 22 rounds, but you don't go through molds like you do ammo. Reloaders stocking up on primers and powder? Totally understandable. But 9mm molds? I just don't get it. Or maybe it's a supply problem and has nothing to do with demand at all.

Ok, now that I vented on the shortage of molds, can someone clue me in on the reason for the food shortage that started long before this virus hit the news? The wife buys rolled oats and other dry consumables by the 5 gal bucket, and I think it was back in Nov/Dec that they were out of stock everywhere. They've been out of stock since then. Am I the only one here that missed the memo on the impending apocalypse? Did the Democratic presidential debates trigger all the panic buying? That I might be able to understand.

Boolit Master
    Didn't you get the memo? Yup you missed the memo.

Boolit Master
    I gave up on the 22s during the Obama administration . But for 10¢ I can load some pretty good small game loads .
    The final straw for me was 16. A box CCIs limit one box per customer when available . So I invested in a few plan base molds .

Boolit Master
    Guy in my small town who I do not know called me Monday. Asked if I would sell him some 22s. He asked how much for 500. I told him 120 dollars. His response was he was going to call the cops on me for price gouging. I then asked him who gave him my phone number? He told me and I nicely said good day.

Called my buddy and told him I was willing to sell the guy he told to call me a box of wolf match 500 for 120 bucks. Then I told him what he had yelled at me. My friend said I am very sorry and asked if he could come over and buy the brick. I said it will be sanitized and on the steps.

I assume the caller was thinking I was asking that price for a brick of Winchester white box.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    BamaNapper, my guess as to the reloading gear shortages, is that a lot of people stuck at home just order more toys out of boredom.

As to the bulk food shortages, a lot of farms were flooded out, and maybe the bulk food retailer couldn't find a supplier before the available supply was bought up. I live in SD and our state used to be the largest grower of oats, now a field of it is rare and mostly cut for hay.

Maybe this time I won't be too ashamed to unload all those bricks of Thunderduds that I bought during the first Clinton administration. Ought to net a tidy profit.
    Cognitive Dissident

Going to get worse before it gets better. First Covid and then the November elections panic.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Maybe this time I won't be too ashamed to unload all those bricks of Thunderduds that I bought during the first Clinton administration. Ought to net a tidy profit.
    I can’t count the times I was suckered into buying remington thunderturds in a cheap bulk pack, only to remember how many go click instead of bang ! Usually at least 3-5 per hundred. I gotta say, they are consistently crappy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Today I went by my local Sportsman's Warehouse (Rocklin CA) and they had tons of 22 LR. I bought 4 525 rounds boxes of Federal. It was on sale for 19.99 per box.

After tax and our $1 background check fee it came out to $.04 per round.

I'm not complaining (yet).

Steve in N CA

Banned
    All I can say is hahahahahahahahaha
    I reload my own for less than a penny a round. The most expensive component is the powder. I use HS-6 BUT Red Dot works about as well. One grain per round. 7000 grains to the pound. Pound of Red Dot roughly $22. Lead is practically free as well as the ingredients to make priming compound.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    When people are scared they do not behave rationally.

A "run" on a product is no different than a "run" on a bank. If people think there is a chance they will not be able to get something they will attempt to get what they can, while they still can. The current toilet paper shortage is a good example.

the ability to wipe on demand is far more important and appealing to 99% of the population than feeling woeful because they cant find some 22lr to burn on the weekend.

also should make people start looking at their consumption rate. and actual use of a product.

I actually feel like an idiot sometimes if I simply grab a handful of cartridges and my 38 and just kill a stump zombie to relax. Seeing people talk in person, and online, and in youtube crap about shooting off 5-1,000 of rimfire on a single weekend just to keep the kids out of their hair for a few hours really is a sad event.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    All I can say is hahahahahahahahaha
    I reload my own for less than a penny a round. The most expensive component is the powder. I use HS-6 BUT Red Dot works about as well. One grain per round. 7000 grains to the pound. Pound of Red Dot roughly $22. Lead is practically free as well as the ingredients to make priming compound.
    But how long does it take you to load, say 5,000 rounds? Sometimes I like shooting .22's because I have no time invested in it.

I'm in no place to judge what someone does with their time, and I don't mean any offense; I'm genuinely curious how long the process is, I know that when I've loaded (new primed brass) .22's in the past, it was a time consuming process.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Tell me more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    But how long does it take you to load, say 5,000 rounds? Sometimes I like shooting .22's because I have no time invested in it.

I'm in no place to judge what someone does with their time, and I don't mean any offense; I'm genuinely curious how long the process is, I know that when I've loaded (new primed brass) .22's in the past, it was a time consuming process.
    It takes quite a bit of time. It is getting faster as I iron out the processes. But the bottom line is EVERY minute of reloading 22lr is AT LEAST 34.637 times as much fun as shooting them. hahahahahahahaha

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Tell me more.

I apologize for the crappy video but this shows the swaging of the bullet. This is by far the most intricate and difficult part of loading high quality cartridges. You can use this video to get to my youtube page where there are more videos.

Boolit Master

it is certainly important to enjoy your self directed activities. Otherwise why do it. The reason I got into a high point carbine was to shoot when I wanted to even when others felt they couldn't for lack of ammo. 9mm at $.03 each was far better than nothing available in 22 LR. Having said that , it is true that I have pre Clinton 22 ammo just sitting in a drawer for an "emergency". So I guess it was all just an excuse to get another gun, and spend time loading up ammo for it after all. It keeps me out of the bars.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    I am still using bulk pack Federal bought back when George W was president. Every time I went past Walmart I would buy a box of Federal 550 and a 100 round box of Winchester white box of ACP.

Boolit Buddy
    Got one of those I Like Ike pins when in grade school. My parents who were union Democrats frowned upon it but did not explode like the ones today.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast