Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What ever happened to the high powers?

What ever happened to the high powers?

I'm not all that old but when i was in high school in the mid 80's all I wanted was a browning HP . There were quite a few smiths that would gussy them up and lots of aftermarket parts and articles about them in the shooting magazines . Now you don't even hear a whisper about them . Still to this day I like the way they feel in my hand about the only high capacity pistol that does yeah I got small hands .
    Figured after all these years someone would come out with a new improved / updated version of it god knows how many new versions of the 1911 types there are .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The new improved / updated version of the Browning Hi-Power is the CZ-75.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Recoil View Post
    Or the Tanfoglio Witnesses, which are CZ-75 clones, but generally cheaper in price, but not cheaper in quality.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

I do think it is strange that the 1911 has held onto its popularity, and the Hi power has not, especially when you consider 9mm vs 45 acp ammo cost. I guess the Browning just never found its niche. The 1911 of course has become widely popular in all pistol shooting sports. Or maybe its because the 1911 doesn't bite your hand as bad.

There is always a craze for something going on in the gun comic books.

The one for hi-powers has come & gone for the current fad.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Browning stop production. Various other clones are available like this one. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-power-pistol/

JMB died before he completed the design. The French finished it. The mag discount system makes getting a 1911 comparable tuned trigger very difficult if not impossible. The 9mm didn't make major for competition. I like the 3 I own.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-25-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Recoil View Post
    The Browning Hi Power and the CZ 75 are both high-capacity 9 mm semi-automatic pistols. The similarities end there. That's like saying the Sig P220 is the improved updated version of the 1911.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My assessment of the High Power:

GREAT feeling ergonomics!

REALLY bizarre - possibly dumb - fire control system.

If you're not familiar, the trigger pull elevates a vertical push rod (in the frame) that presses a the front of a pivot bar (in the slide). The rear of that pivot bar presses downward on the sear (in the frame), releasing the hammer, which goes on to smack the firing pin (in the slide). So play in slide/frame fit, translates to variable trigger.

The magazine cutoff safety is attached to the back of the trigger and pivots with the trigger against the front of the magazine. Every time you change your magazine's finish (i.e., Parkerized) you change your trigger pull.

Mechanically, the 1911 is a VASTLY superior firearm, but being dimensioned for .45, it isn't as svelte as a P-35. Unfortunately, a lot of the good stuff about the 1911's fire control lies in that you assemble it by sliding the trigger, disconnector, and sear in through the open rear of the frame, and then plug that hole with the grip safety and mainspring housing. Not sure how the two could be best merged, or how the lines of the P-35 frame would suffer from plugging in a 1911-type sliding trigger bar that wraps around the mag well.

That, or a re-dimensioned 1911 9mm top half would be a cool thing to pull off. I think the reason why the design has been fading is that - feel aside - it's got those mechanical disadvantages along with the added cost of being an old school forged/milled gun.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the Grande Puissance is the most beautiful handgun ever. I got one of the last ones with a test fire date of November 2016 and just love it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Browning Hi Power and the CZ 75 are both high-capacity 9 mm semi-automatic pistols. The similarities end there. That's like saying the Sig P220 is the improved updated version of the 1911.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Have to agree with ya , I've owned a CZ 75 to me it felt heavier pointed way different and much bigger in the grip . Still waiting on the day I stumble across an alloy framed HP .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The Hi-Power had a dedicated following, and served the Belgians, Chinese, British, and Canadians well in WW II and after. There were many, many produced and the fact that they're hard to come by after only being out of print a relatively few years is a good indicator of their popularity. True, they usually came with an awful trigger pull, but some 'smiths like Cylinder and Slide became adept at tuning them to very acceptable. I have owned both, and would rather have a Hi-Power than the CZ or Tanfoglio. However, development of double action semi-autos was what obsoleted them. Same old story--if you don't mind cocked and locked carry then they remain a good choice. There was a double action Hi-Power developed, but it didn't market well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I do think it is strange that the 1911 has held onto its popularity, and the Hi power has not, especially when you consider 9mm vs 45 acp ammo cost. I guess the Browning just never found its niche. The 1911 of course has become widely popular in all pistol shooting sports. Or maybe its because the 1911 doesn't bite your hand as bad.
    I have often wondered about that also.
    The hi power does not bite my hand at all, and I think the Hi-power is THE best ergonomically fitting gun period.
    Perhaps it did not hold its popularity because it is just as full sized as a 1911, but it still only 9mm, even tho it is twice as many rounds.

Boolit Master
    I sure wouldn't get rid of mine. It has a feel in the hand that makes my 1911/2011's feel like a 1X3 (but I won't get rid of any of my 1911 styles either).

I had Cylinder and Slide guts installed and the magazine disconnect removed. It is as good as the trigger can get but still pales to any of my 1911/2011 triggers. The HP also can't carry water for the other mentioned pistols in accuracy. It's just a iconic pistol that needs to stay with me.

Banned
    Here's my CZ compact pcr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ljeyb8lr99u11.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	259121

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I have often wondered about that also.
    The hi power does not bite my hand at all, and I think the Hi-power is THE best ergonomically fitting gun period.
    Perhaps it did not hold its popularity because it is just as full sized as a 1911, but it still only 9mm, even tho it is twice as many rounds.
    I was only half joking. I've been bit once, and it left a nice blister. That was more of getting too high of a grip than anything. As for capacity, the 1911 is 9, and HP 13. Not that much difference. Maybe that is part of the popularity problem. Many full size 9mm now have 17+ round capacities.

Boolit Master
    Browning discontinued the HP as their machines were getting old, and not selling well what with other 9mm's that were new and not an older design. Having said that I have one of the Israeli surplus ones I got from either Cope's or Cole's. Was going to get another but one of the dealers suffered a fire that basically put them out of business. I removed the mag disconnect and did notice a slight improvement in the trigger pull. Only thing I don't like is the tiny safety they had. Guess I'm wedded to the 1911 style safeties. Frank

Boolit Master
    The Browning HP was the second handgun purchase I made back in the 70's. The first was a 6" Royal Blue Python. Both bought only days apart. I still have them. They are the reason I delved into reloading, then casting. Will never part with either.

Being a southpaw, a Cylinder & Slide ambidextrous safety was installed...........providing better purchase, than the original one. Trigger was pretty heavy, due to the magazine disconnect, which was removed by Master Gunsmith Frank Paris. He resided in the Detroit area, as I did, and specialized in Pythons and HP's. Also had him hard chrome the frame.

Fragile rear sight adjustable was replaced with an adjustable Millet white outline. Somehow. I manage to bend the original. Not sure how or when. Never dropped the gun.

Also have a Ciener 22 LR conversion for HP. Never had any issues with with the conversion, other than the CT laser grips didn't print to the same POA as the center fire rounds did. Wife used the conversion for her CC qualification. Arkansas will give you a five year license if you qualify with a semi auto and allow you to carry either semi auto or a revolver. Otherwise, your stuck with a three year license and can only carry a revolver.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02390.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	259126

Winelover

Boolit Master

A Highpower isn't made of plastic, it isn't DA/striker fired(whatever), it doesn't even have picatinny points for a laser, dot, tactical light, can opener...

It is simply a magnificently machined steel handgun that reeks of quality and craftsmanship. Nowadays, who would want that?

I had one, foolishly sold it. It was without a doubt the BEST feeling hi cap gun ever, especially if you put on some ultra thin Rosewood Spegal grips.

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Browning discontinued the HP as their machines were getting old, and not selling well what with other 9mm's that were new and not an older design. Having said that I have one of the Israeli surplus ones I got from either Cope's or Cole's. Was going to get another but one of the dealers suffered a fire that basically put them out of business. I removed the mag disconnect and did notice a slight improvement in the trigger pull. Only thing I don't like is the tiny safety they had. Guess I'm wedded to the 1911 style safeties. Frank
    You might take a look at the C&S safety https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1030413867 I put one on mine ghagt had gthe miniature safety on it and it made a world of difference. It was a drop in for me.

Boolit Master
    When the Canadian Army changed hand guns they sold there Hi-Powers to wholesale dealers in the US. The discount stores were selling them for $99. I had one for a time and I have two complaint against the pistol. One is the terrible trigger pull. When you study the design you can see why it is hard to improve. The second complaint is the long trigger pull for my small hands. I can certainly see why people with large hands appreciate the design but for me, the feeling isn't mutial. Little Terry Garr there.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast