RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are bevel base cast bullets less accurate than flat base

Banned

Are bevel base cast bullets less accurate than flat base

in .44 and .45 caliber, Are bevel base cast bullets less accurate than flat base with square edge, in your experience ?

Are flat base mold bullets more accurate?

Bevel base like the ones Missouri bullets sells

Boolit Master
    Bevel base 230gn RN are more accurate than I am. flat base are a mongrel to cast without flashing around the base. Makes HITEK coating a chore. Bevel base make coating easy.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

I've done considerable testing of BB vs FB cast bullets of the same design in 38, 44 and 45 calibers. Testing was done in 38 and 44 with revolvers and with revolvers and semi autos, all from a Ransom Rest with target at 50 yards . in every test the FB bullets proved more accurate.

However, I doubt 99.99% of shooters can take advantage of the difference in accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Its been my experience that flat base are more accurate but I usually can't shoot the difference. Bevel base bullets are a pain to size and lube if you're not using a Star. If you're coating them it doesn't much matter.

Boolit Master
    Larry nailed it. I would add that FB take special care in handling and loading because if it doesn't seat straight, you wipe a crescent off the base degrading precision. A bored out seater plug seats by the shoulder giving a straight push and proper expansion (plug) of the case so it can insert 1/16th inch first is critical. Hard BB boolets solve problems you didn't know you had. Some dies size the shell too small and the base can get pinched in.

Over 100 years ago, Dr. Mann ( A Bullets Flight From Powder to Target ) book, did extensive test on hundreds of bullet shapes. without a doubt the flat base bullets are more accurate.
    I my shooting for the last 58 years, I too have found that the flat based bullet is more accurate at close to moderate distances.
    ( under 600 yards) for no other factor than drag.
    The flat based bullet also enters the lead of a rifles bore in a more concentric fashion as the gases have a flat surface ,rather than a "boat-tail" base which can be pushed to one side causing a misalignment to the bore of the rifle/pistol.
    A for cast bullets, I always slightly flair the case mouth anyways to allow a proper seating of the bullet into the case.
    Last edited by Rapidrob; 03-25-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    id think a bevel base would magnify any negative effects from your crown since you don't have the sharp corner to corner exit like FB

Boolit Grand Master

I'm told the one advantage to bevel base bullets is that they are easier to get into the case, presumably on a progressive press. For my fumble fingers, this is not the case. Flat base is just as easy (or difficult) to load quickly for me. I've found some bevel base bullets that are very accurate, but as a whole it seems to be that flat bases shoot better. Personally I believe it has more to do with balance, but the actual reason isn't important. There are other disadvantages besides accuracy too.

If I were buying a custom or semi-custom mold, I would NEVER choose a bevel base.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I trust Larry's testing but 90 % of us would not see a real difference in every day shooting
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm with JW Flips. Larry is correct, and testing by Col. E.H. Harrison at NRA and published in the NRA Handloader's Guide agrees. However, I find that the bevel-base bullets are easier to seat straight on the Star and Dillon machines and carefully loaded are accurate enough for all but the most severe competition requirements.

I still like bevel base and most of my Accurate designs are.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    Over 100 years ago, Dr. Mann ( A Bullets Flight From Powder to Target ) book, did extensive test on hundreds of bullet shapes. without a doubt the flat base bullets are more accurate.
    I my shooting for the last 58 years, I too have found that the flat based bullet is more accurate at close to moderate distances.
    ( under 600 yards) for no other factor than drag.
    The flat based bullet also enters the lead of a rifles bore in a more concentric fashion as the gases have a flat surface ,rather than a "boat-tail" base which can be pushed to one side causing a misalignment to the bore of the rifle/pistol.
    A for cast bullets, I always slightly flair the case mouth anyways to allow a proper seating of the bullet into the case.
    You nailed it I also slightly flair the case mouth to allow proper bullet seating

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I trust Larry's testing as well. The question I don't have to ask is if I'm in the 99.99% he speaks of . . . . I already know I am!

Boolit Grand Master

Some of you have mentioned case flaring. Are there people who don't flare cases? Even with jacketed bullets, how are you supposed to seat a bullet without a flare? The one and only exception for me is a boat tail jacketed rifle bullet.

The 158 grain bevel base .357 FPRN bullet from Lee is very accurate in my Blackhawk. But the revolver prefers the 125 grain FPRN a little, but that bullet is kinda small for feral hogs, but works nicely on feral dogs.

ACC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Some of you have mentioned case flaring. Are there people who don't flare cases?
    That was my thought too

Apparently ....? sounded like someone doesnt....

99.9%. I'm finally in the majority on something!
    Never trade luck for skill.

I go with Larry said ,He show also the different in long and short boolits for 308 Win and the gas cutting on it. So I take it you will get some with BB then FB. That is how I thinking.But like he said for me I would not see much of a different when shooting.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Can anyone quantify the difference? 1/2" at 50y? 1" at 50y?

Moderator Emeritus

SC Farmer, I am not sure a Ransom Rest or similar would transfer equally to a hand held shooter. IOW, if you normally group 3 " at 25 yards a shooter who groups 1 1/2" would not probably show the same rate of dispersion. A quick review through Cast Bullet matches will show no bevel based designs in rifles winning matches.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

At one time I had both a Saeco 4 cavity bevel base mold and a Saeco 4 cavity flat base mold. both were Saeco's H&G 68/69 versions in .45 and the flat base one was enough more accurate I sold the bevel base one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast