RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Hearing protection for both shooting and workshop?

Boolit Buddy

Hearing protection for both shooting and workshop?

Hello Everyone,

I hope the day finds you all healthy and safe.

I am looking at new hearing protection and have seen several that are Bluetooth and some have the ability to pass low db noises and cut off at higher db sounds.

Currently I have a few pairs of old style hearing protection intended for shooting. I use them in my workshop when running power tools as well. They work fine in both applications.

I have been trying one of the new fancy sets with Bluetooth and active noise reduction. I see them sold for shooting and I see them for workshop use. I have not found any that say that they are good for both.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the newer hearing protection that may work for both?

My existing Peltor's are not intended for my workshop and did not mention using it for anything but shooting. They work great in the shop. So, just because it is not mentioned in the specs doesn't mean that it won't work. I am hopeful.

Thanks Everyone.

S.

Earmuffs are limited in the amount of noise reduction they can provide as are ear plugs. When I am shooting, I use both. I want to save what hearing I have left after 40+ years at a noisy factory.
    If I know the noise level is going to be less(22 rifle or shop), I may only wear one or the other depending on how often I will need to take the protection off.
    I compare the noise reduction ratings on the hearing protection I buy and always try to get the highest rating I can.

Banned

Walker’s Razor on Amazon.
    Walker's Game Ear Razor Slim Electronic Muff - Flat Dark Earth
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AAH8CRU..._4F9EEbGQ9JNWN

A good source for opinions is to look at the customer reviews on the sites where the various ones are sold.
    Especially the 4 star or less reviews and how many there are in relation to the 5 star ones.
    Once you wade through the stupid people, there is usually some good information there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Noise reduction works in both environments. In my shop I leave the peltors turned off. Peltors function best filtering peak noise above 80Db. A table saw may be just below 80Db until the wood hits the blade. So some hearing damage may occur.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Noise reduction works in both environments. In my shop I leave the peltors turned off. Peltors function best filtering peak noise above 80Db. A table saw may be just below 80Db until the wood hits the blade. So some hearing damage may occur.
    I have read hundreds of reviews on a dozen or more products as well as reading the questions posted. I see the same question I asked show up on Amazon with no answers.

Regarding the Peltors you use, is the volume variable?

Boolit Master
    There’s a couple of posts around on this, I’m partial to the Peltor and Howard Leigh’s for powered and Peltor, David Clarke and Ear for non powered. I use them interchangeably depending on what I’m doing.

The HL’s have the input jack for my iPod when I’m shooting alone and in the fall I wear the Peltor’s backwards to hear the leaf sucker engine running behind the riding mower.

Someday when I’m rich I may spring for a Bluetooth set.

Boolit Master
    I wear Pro Ears Gold for everything even cold mornings. You hear everything but the loud noises are reduced. Good stereo separation, you can tell where sounds come from. Decent battery life. Input jacks for radio or phone.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

One issue with at least some of the amplified earmuffs is the noise cut off level.
    My Howard Leight sports will amplify the noise of a mower, so useless for listening to music while mowing (older wired input, no Bluetooth).

I have not tried the walker razors while mowing, I never remember to and just wear big honking passive muffs, which I find more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk