PBcastcoRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's a .22, what could go wrong?

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a good policy to always wear glasses when shooting. None of the ranges I used to shoot at would allow someone without eye protection on the line. If you cannot afford shooting glasses, those cheap plastic things Harbor Freight sells are OK, but get scratched up if you do not put them in a protective bag. I use the little cloth sack from Crown Royal for a spare set just in case. But I have a couple of sets of shooting glasses. Not cheap but worth it. One set has interchangeable lenses for different light conditions.

Glad it was not more serious.
    Don Verna

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    At 65 I'm lucky. Always been cavalier about protection. And with severe Glaucoma anything else between my eye and the sights is that much worse. Then a couple years ago a fella laying on the line right next to me nearly lost his sight just from the primer giving way. You'd have thought that big sharps block would have sent everything to the sides but he still lost a lot of vision... forever. And the very next year I saw a fella have a 22 give (never saw the case after but I saw the splatter on his glasses and face). Now I wear glasses. They are pain but with failing vision I'm not rushing further loss. Its a constant problem but much further deterioration and I won't be driving, much less shooting, so can't afford to play around. Working in the trades, both welding and carpentry my cavalier attitude could have cost me much earlier. Like I said luck was with me!
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Glasses are a must for shooting, regardless of the distance you're shooting or where you're shooting. The certified ballistic safety glasses are hands down the best, but I balk at laying down hundreds for a pair. Regular polycarbonate glasses give pretty good protection and are well within my budget.

Online eyeglass outlets to the rescue. The prescription computer glasses I'm wearing now cost me $8 through Zenni optical. Really. $8. Plus shipping. Lots of articles online for how to read your prescription. If you add 1.00 to the cylinder number for one eye, that eye will focus at 20-30". Do it for only your dominant eye and now it focuses on your pistol sights and the other eye focuses on the target. Keep both eyes open and your brain will put it all together after a few minutes. Get another pair with maybe 1.50 added to that one eye and you should now have that rear rifle sight in focus. Since both eyes are single vision the cost is ridiculously cheap online. Two pair of aviator style glasses for shooting, under $30 total. For about $100 you could have both pair made as bifocals in case you need to read something.

Boolit Master

Some time back I got the brilliant idea to salvage some loaded 22lr cartridges I found discarded/dropped where I shoot.
    Most of the ones that had firing pin indents still failed to fire.
    Lack of priming I suppose.
    On of the indented ones fired but the case failed at the old firing pin indent.
    Smoke came out of the action and blew the extractor out of the gun.
    I found the extractor and put it back where it belonged.
    There was no long term damage to the gun.
    Lesson learned.
    Loaded 22 lrs I find now, with or without firing pin indents go in the trash...dale

Boolit Bub
    I'm not sure how relevant it is but I shoot a lot of the 60 gr Aguila ammo in one of my rifles, I made a fast twist barrel for it and it's true performance has yet to convince me it's anything special, but I'm working on it... I was shooting it the other afternoon and had probably 90 rounds (Aguila 60's) through it and decided I would try a standard velocity match grade 40 gr. for a group and see how they compared. First round in was a little snug, didn't give it any thought but extraction was a little difficult, second round pushed in but then it required a cleaning rod to extract it. I am a slow learner sometimes but I stopped to evaluate the situation then. The 60's uses a case equivalent to the short and at the case mouth location in the chamber a small ridge of residue develops - when a standard length LR case is inserted it hits this ridge and becomes an area of resistance like a speed bump and captures the case. Now in my situation, I made the reamer that cut that chamber and it's a little tighter than SAMMI spec so I don't know if anyone else will experience this condition, but this second case also had a split develop at that ridge point going forward. I didn't have the gas blow-back probably because of the residue ring but any condition in a chamber can cause a reaction of sorts... be aware and pay attention to the small details. Excessive dimensions including extractor fits allow case expansion to the point of rupture. The charge in the case for this 60 gr pushes it at velocities well under supersonic in my experiences (800 - 900 fps), but in the whole scope of things, the projectile is half again as big so without cleaning before switching brands these little subtle changes can result in significant reactions.

Just my 2 cents...
    Greg

Boolit Master

Back around early 70's when I first saw and fired blazer 22 long rifle , it seemed like there were quite a few to a box that went bang and separated and split , was just what one expected from cheaper ammo , it has got a lot better , in early 80's I was buying cheap south american 22 long rifle ammo from a local store there would be plenty that were a touch under powered and some that went off with more then they should have , glasses for shooting are a good thing .

Boolit Master
    I was a teenager, the gun was a bronco .22 "bicycle rifle" with a twisting breach. I was holding it choked up and my finger was apparently over the junction between breachface and chamber. It was newly purchased Remington .22 short ammo, the gun had never done anything like that before, and was inspected by Remington afterward with nothing found to be out of spec.

The rim was blown out for about 1/3 the circumference, but otherwise the case looked normal, and the bullet hit the target. My finger was split from the last knuckle up around the tip, the fingernail blown off, and the flesh hanging off with the bone and tendon sticking out. The flesh looked like half burnt/half raw hamburger meat and was covered in tiny brass flecks. I was pretty sure there was no saving it, but the old W.V. doctor was able to joke about it, get it cleaned up and sewed back together, and now I just have a scar about 3/4" long and a crooked fingernail. I still can't put pressure on the scar without wincing though... good thing I wasn't serious about learning the guitar!

Remington pulled that lot off the shelves, but as far as I know, mine was the only incident. I never pursued it beyond making sure they were aware of the issue and letting them inspect the rifle and remainder of that box of ammo.

I'm very careful about how I hold guns ever since.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I think I have had all brands at one time or another have a case or two split on me. So you never know. It is wise to wear eye protection.

Boolit Buddy
    The Aguila 60gr was called Super Subsonic Sniper or something like that, it had reduced powder. 20 years old ammo, it could have been something wrong with the lot, or do you use ammonia products in your residence?

I used to pull the bullets and powder on range dropped 22lr, then "dry fire" them, then scrap the brass.

More likely than not this has nothing to do with what happened to you and the 60gr ammo you're using.

15 +/-? years ago I bought a brick of blazer 22lr ammo for plinking. Darn stuff had way too much wax on the bullets. Got the bright idea to use a paco tool to clean the excess wax off and make some nasty nose hp's at the same time. Well in theory it was all good but in real life, human error prevailed.

Darn wax was clogging up the nose forming die and I wasn't clearing it often enough. The end result was an oversized bullet body .225" that was long enough to have the shoulder of the bullet jamb into the leade/throat of the bold action rifle I was using. Couple that with a compressed/tighter crimp on the heeled bullet.

Did 100 of them & 1/2 of them split when fired in that rifle out of 2 5 round mags.

Got an even brighter idear to burn them up in a s&w k22, didn't matter some of them still split throwing junk everywhere.

Finely gave up and tossed the rest of them.

Anyway it's a long shot but perhaps that bullet design is too long for your chamber/too large in diameter for your chamber or both. Adding up to pressure spikes that split the case.

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess I have been lucky, out of the approximately 19 bajillion rounds of .22 Short and Long rifle I have fired I do not remember ever having a case rupture.

Out of way less than 50 rounds of Navy Arms made in Brazil .32 Long rimfire, I had several case ruptures in my Remington No. 2 Rolling block. Fortunately the breech block redirects the splatter up and to the sides instead of to the rear. The ruptured rounds gave a funny, hollow sound when fired.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Ken, thank goodness your ok. No 'you should know better' from me. This web site isn't big enough for all the dumb things I've done. Like shooting some 8mm reloads that I found after my dad passed in 1996. He had some neighbor do them in the 50's or 60's. Thank goodness for real mauser action safety and strength. Only shot one but that was enough.

But back to the point. Really, really glad you're ok. Who would we ask when we come up with all our old reloading tools that haven't been made in 50 or 60 years? Take care, Steve

Banned
    those aren't for indoor shooting. at 20 yards they will go through two pieces of treated 2x6 taped back to back at 20 yards. MASSIVE splinters on the exit hole.

It puzzles me that any gun maker would not have a deflector head at the back of the bolt. Blow backs do happen and with 22's it always blows into the shooters eyes! It's a basic design flaw. I am reminded to get a pair of shooting glasses.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    It puzzles me that any gun maker would not have a deflector head at the back of the bolt. Blow backs do happen and with 22's it always blows into the shooters eyes! It's a basic design flaw. I am reminded to get a pair of shooting glasses.
    don't forget, almost every rifle made in the last 50 years lacks that feature,,,, even centerfire

Blown primers or 22 ammo can erode and make a sharp area on the firing pin so that it ruptures other primers or 22 ammo.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Master
    as im a lefty always use glasses with my 1022 as i get crap in my face all the time just from the action

Navy Arms .32 rimfire ammo is notorious for blowing out rims. I got half a dozen from the first half of a box used in a Stevens .32 RF Long Favorite some years ago. That was enough. Have since converted the Favorite to .32 Long Colt CF.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    On shooting glasses call around to eye doctors (opthamoligest) not an optometrist they can probably help.

I couldn't acquire rifle sights at all due to cataracts, so when I had my lenses in both eyes replaced I had the right eye, (my shooting eye), done using a "multi-focal lens". It took a little getting used to, but rifle sights are no longer a problem for me,especially good since my favorite hunting rifle is a primitive flintlock with primitive sights. My avatar shows my .22 Magnum revolver on the first groundhog after the surgery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast