Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's a .22, what could go wrong?

I found that when getting tri-focal lens that I could request the large size that corrects all the way to the glasses frame. They work for me using bowsights. The stance I use brings the center tri-focal just right so that the pins are clear instead of looking like Christmas tree decorations. When shooting pistols, I have to tilt my head some to bring into focus.

Boolit Master
    I have vivid memories of a rimfire rifle that used to allow cases to rupture. Around 1970 I bought a new Savage model 63, a bolt action single shot with Mannlicher stock up to the muzzle, caliber 22 Magnum. I had fired the rifle about one box of ammo when a case opened up under the extractor. There was real loud beside my right ear me when this happened. I could clearly see the ruptured case as the extractor was blown out and away. I shrugged this off on the ammo, ordered and installed a replacement extractor. Within the next 20 shots the same thing happened again but this time with a different brand of ammo. I replaced the extractor again and sold that rifle to the first interested party. This must have been an early version of the Glock Kaboom.

Boolit Master

Bought a Voere bolt action 22 about 17 years from a co-worker for $25. A beautiful lightweight single shot bolt action sporter. The stock was in very bad shape with several splits below the action. A quick examination showed that about 1/2 of the chamber area was milled away to about 1/2 diameter. After several years I finally found a picture of the loading ramp-extractor that has the missing part of the chamber. That is a future project.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Banned
    An update on the split cases. I found a set of Redfield rimfire rings that will clamp to the barrel groves on my Cigur single shot, so it's wearing a nive Nikon 2x scope. Head to the range to get it on paper with a box of 22 odds and ends, including about 20 of the 60 grain sub sonics. All was well for ten shots then I started having split cases. Three shots left and poof, a really light report with the case split wide open and stuck in the chamber. Trusty knife hooked it and it popped out. Go around to the front of the barrel and look down into a black hole. Oops, there's a bullet stuck in the bore. So I know what my project is for tomorrow.

The Nikon preformed very well and this is going to be a fun shooter, but only fired from a front rest. The 28 inch barrel is heavy and hard to hold.

Banned
    And there it is, a 60 grain 22 boolit with a slightly puckered nose. It went about 10 inches into the barrel. I used a cleaning rod with a brass tip and gently tapped it back out, no problem.

There is a reason for all the warnings about checking a bore after a weak discharge. If I had fire again the rifle probably would have not been damaged but I would have had a mess of damaged case, hot blowing debris out of the breach and a really stuck mess in the barrel.
    It pays to pay attention.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9721.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	266214

And now you've got a nice barrel slug for to confirm the groove diameter!

(I often slug barrels this way on purpose. )

In the last decade or so I can't remember having a .22 case split; if I have had one it was a non-event. But I have the remains of a box of that Navy Arms .32 rimfire, which gave me a shocking number of burst rims in a Favorite I'd just rebuilt. That little gun sends the gas sideways, so all you feel is a light breeze on your forehead. (I have to wear glasses to see the sights, so no risk there.)
    Last edited by uscra112; 08-14-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting thread, Ken. I had a like new High Standard Model B blow out at the base one time with some standard, fresh ammo one time well over 50 years ago. Never before or since and we never could figure out what happened. Yep, glasses are always a great idea because you never can know when or why all that explosive action will try to get loose at your end of the gun... I could talk about some other exciting blow-ups, but they don't fit this particular thread as well.

Froggie

PS Now that I opened the box, I'll mention I had a case head let go on a 38 Special conversion Gold Cup Colt. I did find a tiny piece of brass embedded in my shooting glasses lens right over the pupil of my right eye. Any question about why I wear glasses whenever I shoot?
    "It aint easy being green!"

My pistol shootin career started at 12 years old with a Colt Police Positive in "22"(WRF).

22 Short was the cheapest "22" ammo you could get, so that's what I used.

For a couple of years I thought all revolvers split and ballooned the cases when firing.

Boolit Master
    I , over many years have had 22's rupture and blow out the back of the case.
    Since I started Reloading my own 22's I have had several more rupture due to too hot of priming compound or too much priming compound.
    I always wear safety glasses , so my eyes are always protected.
    But like I would tell the workers on construction site safety meetings,
    Always Wear Your Safety Glasses.
    God gave you Two Eyes.
    He did not give you One Eye and a Spare.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    I have vivid memories of a rimfire rifle that used to allow cases to rupture. Around 1970 I bought a new Savage model 63, a bolt action single shot with Mannlicher stock up to the muzzle, caliber 22 Magnum. I had fired the rifle about one box of ammo when a case opened up under the extractor. There was real loud beside my right ear me when this happened. I could clearly see the ruptured case as the extractor was blown out and away. I shrugged this off on the ammo, ordered and installed a replacement extractor. Within the next 20 shots the same thing happened again but this time with a different brand of ammo. I replaced the extractor again and sold that rifle to the first interested party. This must have been an early version of the Glock Kaboom.
    Thank you for posting. I have a Savage Model 63M. It was my first gun and I recall from 50+ years ago that it was very difficult to extract fired rounds. When I picked it up from my Mom after Dad passed it wouldn’t extract fired cases at all. I had a gunsmith put in a new extractor and currently the extractor doesn’t pick up the rim of even an unfired case.

I am at a crossroads I guess. I have a very sentimental attachment to the gun but don’t keep guns that don’t work. I definitely don’t want to pass this problem on to my progeny.

Thanks again for posting. It would seem that this model had some extraction / chamber issues.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Brass can age-harden and it's possible that brass that was fine - maybe barely within proper hardness specs when loaded - could age out of the proper hardness range.

Many years ago I stored a large quantity of .223 reloads. Maybe 15+ years later I found a remaining box of that ammo and had several cracked case mouths when I shot it. I attributed this to age-hardening of brass that was already work-hardened.

That's my best guess as to why your .22 cases cracked.
    I had some .222 Rem. sat for maybe twenty years until I shot them. They were fine when I put them in the magazine but all the necks split when fired. I never expected this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123