Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tygon tubing

Boolit Grand Master

I just placed the trash can (cardboard box) under the press , primers fall into box...empty box every few years .
    No tubing required .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Or screw an electrical conduit c clamp to an edge of the trash can.....
    That's a good idea .

Boolit Master

I've got a T7 and have been using it to process .45ACP brass for the last few days. The tube extends down into a large peanut butter jar. I've got the jar setting on a box that keeps the top of the jar at a height where the tube is still in the neck of the jar when the ram is at its high point and above the spent primers when the ram is lowered. . I haven't had any problem with the tube "curling" beyond a slight curve down into the jar.

I did have a problem with an occasional primer popping out the priming slot in front of the ram. Had some felt of a thickness that would stay in the slot. It has been there thru several thousand operations of the ram.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Well my semi brilliant idea worked but rather than using dowel I polished a piece of brass rod and put some NuFinish on it .
    While the tubing was hot connected one end to the press slipped the other end thru my bench,inserted the brass rod and now I'm waiting for everything to cool off and keep straight.

Just used a plastic 2 gallon bucket I get from a bakery. Simple and effective.

Boolit Master
    I have other presses tha use the same tubing and have the same problem the end of the tubing tends to curl upwards ,the spent primers aren't going into the trash they get stopped at the curve and pile up then I have to uncurl the tubing and hope that they aren't packed in so tight that I have to keep flexing the tube to clear the clog.

Boolit Master

Vinyl tubing will straighten with heat. I use Tygon for my gasoline powered model airplanes but no need to straighten it because both ends connect to something so I have no idea. It does melt if it contacts a hot muffler so it may heat-form.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Attachment 259425 click the picture for a big view.....esc button to get back.....

When I made a primer catcher for my Rock Chucker II, I used both flexible tubing and stiff thinwall clear tubing from Pet Mountain. It just requires cutting off the Tygon way before it gets to the bin, and pressing the thinwall into it. Thinwall goes to the bottom of the bin....but is slotted the last 1" so the primers fall away.

I get it at Pet Mountain: https://www.petmountain.com/product/...d-tubing-clear

I use a lot of this stuff for tube bullet and case feeders. Each is 36" long so you just cut a piece off for this application. It comes in many O.D. sizes. and each telescopes into the next size....so measure your Tygon I.D. (inside diameter) and buy the closest O.D. Thinwall....press it in.

Easiest to cut thinwall with a hack saw, then I just touch the cut edge to the side of my grinder, and instantly I have a smooth end.
    Last edited by GWS; 03-31-2020 at 12:59 AM.

What’s the OD of the tubing? When I am trying to keep the end at the bottom I add weight to it.

For 1/2” Tygon tubing a 3/4” nut is about perfect.

Boolit Master
    How about one of these they could be stuck in the tube for weight or a hole drilled in a container cap and placed through from the bottom of the cap with the tube pressed on from the top. https://www.amazon.com/DERNORD-Barbe...R0KTC71JTFP661

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    What’s the OD of the tubing? When I am trying to keep the end at the bottom I add weight to it.

For 1/2” Tygon tubing a 3/4” nut is about perfect.
    OD of the thinwall rigid tubing is 1/2". ID of the Tygon I use is also 1/2".

Boolit Master
    I don't like a bucket on the floor where I want to put my feet so a short tube pushed tightly through the lid of a small plastic jar ( peanut butter or such) hanging on the end of the tube will hold itself straight enough and be close enough to the press to keep it off the floor where I want my feet. Lot's or ways to go at this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't like a bucket on the floor where I want to put my feet so a short tube pushed tightly through the lid of a small plastic jar ( peanut butter or such) hanging on the end of the tube will hold itself straight enough and be close enough to the press to keep it off the floor where I want my feet. Lot's or ways to go at this.
    I don't like the bucket at my feet either . I also use an air hose to blow off my press and other equipment .
    So I like the spent primer container covered so the dust in it does not get circulated .

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I don't like the bucket at my feet either . I also use an air hose to blow off my press and other equipment .
    So I like the spent primer container covered so the dust in it does not get circulated .
    I don't like the bucket at my feet either.....I pulled it forward some to take a picture....but, my feet aren't anywhere close when I'm using it. The nice thing about the rigid tube at the bottom with the slot cut out, and it being to the left side and more than 18" under the bench, is that I seriously doubt any dust reaches the top of the container let alone remotely close to my breathing apparatus. I suppose I could cover it with the lid with a 1/2" hole cut in the middle.....but it's a long way away, and it's not like I deprime 500 -1000 every day....

There's a hole for the rigid tube in the shelf you can't see in the picture, the container goes against the wall in the space behind the white bucket .... tubing is dropped through the hole into the container....the flexible tubing stays above the shelf.

I'll take another picture put back to gather tonight....
    Last edited by GWS; 03-31-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    GWS that sounds like a good set up .
    We all find a away we are happy with . I load in the house now and am much more concerned about primer mess than when I was in my shop.

You know, I was going to put that setup back together and post a picture, then I remembered that my new Lee APP made all that obsolete! It comes with a large jar that mounts just below the lower frame, it has a built-in case feeder (had to mod it just a tad to be happy), and it deprimes twice as fast as doing it on any other single station press......plus it does other case prep like swaging and debulging .40S&W too.......so really I won't be using the Rock Chucker for that anymore. Beats doing it on the Rock Chucker setup by a mile. A case loader is a fantastic idea for a single stage press.

Here's a video of how to spend 75 bucks and beat the tar out of doing it on another press.

15 minutes work after filling 4 tubes with a Lee Shaker (modified for rifle)......zero dust to be sure.
    Last edited by GWS; 04-01-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    GWS You are right about the APP that little rascal sets a new standard for speed for a single stage I was using one of my Lyman single stages or the LCT to de-prime , the APP with the 4 tube feeder and collator for handgun brass is at least 3 or 4 times as fast and cleaner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12