RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tygon tubing

Boolit Master

Tygon tubing

I have a Redding Big Boss/BB II that has a short piece of tubing with a plug to catch spent primers works okay but fills up quickly.
    I have some tygon tubing on hand long enough to go into a trash can under my bench problem is that it wants to curl up so the primers end up not going into the trash can. I was thinking of soaking the tubing in hot/boiling water then once soft pliable pushing a length of dowel rod into the i.d. till cool and hopefully stay straight. Sound like a good idea or a waste of time.

Boolit Grand Master

I have no idea, but - let us know how it works!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Redding T7, similar set up. I taped some weight near the bottom of the tube. Gravity then tends to straighten it.

Boolit Master

Why not just cap it off and dump when appropriate.

Boolit Master
    Thought about the weight idea but my reloading bench is set up with RocDock system attached to a Dillon strong mount with a hole drilled to allow the tubing for spent primers to go into my trash can. Just had a flash of idea for using an empty soda bottle but have to work out the details in my head..

A hair dryer or heat gun should do the trick straightening the tube out. I had a buddy of mine with a 3D printer make an adaptor cap that screws onto an ordinary pop or water bottle. The tube goes from the press & then slips into the cap screwed on the bottle. When full, cap the bottle & dispose of. I'll try to post a pic later.

Boolit Master
    A piece of wire, bare or insulated, stranded or solid core of a stiffness, length and location to suit your desired outcome and taped or zip tied in place to the outside of your tube should help.

Or a length of poly tube that slips over the existing tube to gain stiffness cut to length, etc.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Check out my last post on my primer catcher thread. Maybe you can do something similar.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Primer-Catcher

Boolit Master
    The Redding has a stud for lack of a better word that looks like the connector for air powered tools the solo cup idea won't work but thanks for the idea.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    The Redding has a stud for lack of a better word that looks like the connector for air powered tools the solo cup idea won't work but thanks for the idea.
    Did you look at the last post with the tube and .50-70 case?

Boolit Master
    Didn't scroll down far enough to see that but adapting an empty Gatorade bottle is another idea.

Or screw an electrical conduit c clamp to an edge of the trash can.....

Boolit Master

I would avoid a close fit wood or metal dowel; I suspect that the plastic could adhere to the sides of the dowel making removal difficult.

I have a couple of Siphon hose/pumps that I use to siphon diesel into the tractor when filling (keeps from spilling diesel oil all over the tractor from a 5 gallon can). I store these over the winter coiled on a shelf; and they take a "Set" where they are could next spring. I tie a bailing thing at one end to suspend the siphon hoses; attach a 1 pound weight on the other end of the hose, then place it in direct sun where the entire hose/siphon assembly is vertically held straightening the entire hose. After a couple of hours they are straightened out.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I use a large pill bottle with a hole drilled in the cap to tightly fit the tubing and just let it hang under the press. Mine holds 2 or 3 hundred primers and I just unscrew the bottom, dump and screw the bottom back on.

Boolit Grand Master

I think your idea would work, but I'm a K.I.S.S. guy so I would suspend the tube with a weight on one end, heat the tube and allow to cool. I've done similar straightening to multi conductor cable, and wire loom...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I use empty 1lb powder containers they are long enough to cut the tube about half the depth of the bottle .
    When I empty another 1lb can I just switch them out and put the lid on the one with primers in it. Works for me.

Dont forget to recycle them with worn out brass. Might be enough to buy a few more primers at some point.

Boolit Grand Master

I used a 8lb powder keg drill a hole thru the lid just big enough for your tube to fit thru. slide tube thru and a couple wraps of tape or zip tie to hold it in screw on jug and set back where you want it. By the time this jug is gull you should have several jugs waiting in line to replace it. I wouldnt let it fill clear full as it will be heavy I have 2 650s and a coax running into my jug and replace it every couple years.

Boolit Master
    I have a length of brass rod that's 5/16 diameter the tubing is 3/8 dia so I don't worry about the rod sticking.as the tubing cools

Just zip tie the tube to a dowel to keep it from curling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast