MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spray lube/rust preventive

Boolit Buddy
    Ha! I just came in to say the same. Good stuff and it is safe on wood. I spray down all my longer term stores guns with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    am i the only one that uses Balistol??? great stuff.... surprised it hasn't come up yet

I mostly use ballistol or frog lube, sometimes Fluid Film. FF doesn't dry out so it has some really good uses.

Been using Rig Rags for the last 30 years.

Boolit Master
    when you guys are done saying what is best for long term storage; do this. get a old gun bbl; piece of old steel ect. clean it down to bare metal, clean it with acetone. now apply what you think is good (use several products) masking off 1-2 in. areas and apply the products. best way is to wipe on with a cleaning patch like you would on a gun. now the good part. take outside and hang from a tree for 1 or more weeks. check daily and watch rust appear on some of the products. if you are just keeping the guns in the safe; anything will work. i made a statement on another site (maybe it was this one) a few years ago. you can spit an a gun wipe it off and put in your safe and it will be ok. so, some months later i did. i had a 3 in. section of sawed off shotgun bbl. i wiped it off with acetone; then licked it. its still in the gun safe rust free. so, that being said; do the outside test. most of the products mentoined suck. what does work are boeshield t-9, lps3, fluid film and maybe frog lube paste. challenge me with your own OUTSIDE test.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    am i the only one that uses Balistol??? great stuff.... surprised it hasn't come up yet
    Post #17

No worries on not specifying guns or whatnot. Lot's of questions asked about lots of stuff. I just got some good welding advice.

challenge me with your own OUTSIDE test.

Don't have to. Many online video's on this that are quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJSLPLpF5U

Here is a written one that tests 46 of them: http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667 This along with a test I saw at Project Farm https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2r..._p0Ng/featured which is an interesting channel. Lots of tests here that I'd do myself if I had the time like best penetrating oil, best super glue etc.
    Last edited by jonp; 03-31-2020 at 04:26 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Take a spray bottle. Put some tolulene or zylene (hardware store) in it. Put some paraffin in the sprayer. Allow to dissolve overnight. Spray on anything you do not want to rust.

I do not know the reaction to every stock finish, as i use it on all my woodworking tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12