Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Yugo M57 Tokarev

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.

Yugo M57 Tokarev

Got this thing years ago, it was my first centerfire handgun. Got tired of buying factory ammo that didnt group well. So I slugged the bore and did a chamber cast found out the bore was .313 and the chamber would allow a .312 j-word to be released.

So no wounder the .308-.3085 ppu ammo didnt group well. But those 32cal 100gr xtps with a mid charge of AA#7 would do fantastic. Could keep em in a 8" circle with the irons at 100yds, standing unrested, but never could get a pesky clay pigeon.

Tired of buying loaded brass, I bought a batch of starline, and it was amazing, but lost so many on the 1st firing. So I got a deal on a 9mm barrel, but couldnt find a 9mm bushing. So I had the bushing I had reamed out.

That was a poor decision, not reliable, would eject a fired case AND A LOADED ROUND JUST STRIPPED FROM THE MAG...9mm is too short and released from the x25 mag way too soon.

So...id like to get the gun shooting again, thinking of having the 9mm barrel rechambered to 9x23, or 38 super, or other caliber, but im not convinced thats worth the $. Id rather find a in spec 7.62x25 shootable barrel, that likes cast. And deal with lost brass.

Anyone have thoughts of where to find a used or new tokarev barrel? Or have experience on a M57 rechambered to???

Boolit Buddy
    Or any talented machinists to make me a barrel?

Hmmm.....a bit of a problem there. Well, the Chinese made (maybe still do?) a 9mm Tokarev called the model 213. I've got one, and also have a Chinese Tokarev in 7.65mm. The magazines will interchange. There's no problem with the 9mm magazine and it performs well. So maybe, just maybe, a Model 213 magazine would fit and function in your Yugo. I'd check the usual parts houses. A long shot would be to contact CDNN Sports as they're big magazine merchants. Also call and talk with Triple-K which company produces many obsolete pistol magazines.

DG

Boolit Master

Unfortunately the M57 does not take standard Tok mags. I picked up a Chinese Tokarev mag as a spare and it definitely will not work in my M57. I think the M57 is longer, holds an extra round or something.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup my yugo M57 holds 9 rounds.

Boolit Master

Couple things I'd be considering here:

1. Accurate Molds has three tumble lube options that could be tailored to your bore spec easily enough: 31-075R, 31-087T, and 31-093T - just ask for them in .314" for the portion fitting inside the case and check your chamber throat to see what you need for a nose.

2. As for the long-distance launching of brass. . .Soviet mindset (indeed, military mindset in general) is more interested in immediate function than longevity of the piece. Consequently, you're likely some combination of over-recoiled and under-sprung. Beef up your recoil spring (if available), dial back the loading, or both.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    All Toks throw brass into the next county.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    Or any talented machinists to make me a barrel?
    John Taylor could do it and he has the CIP-spec chambering reamer and gages for 7.62x25.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The Chicom 9mm Tokarev has an insert in its magazine that keeps rounds pushed forward and aligned. They also use a different, shorter follower and narrow spring.
    Side by side, left is Chicom 9x19, right is USSR 7.62x25.
    Attachment 259090
    Here is the Chicom magazine with the floorplate slid off, to show the U-shape insert at the back. The Chicom spring is narrower than the USSR spring, by that much.
    Attachment 259091
    I too used Starline brass in my USSR Tok, but with the 308 bullets. The accuracy was Okay.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-26-2020 at 07:18 AM. Reason: a typo :(

Boolit Buddy
    Tokarev,

Thanks for the illistrations, wish I woulda seen this before i tried the conversion. Good pics thanks.

I saw numerich has barrels, but you dont know if its cast friendly or not until its its in Your hand. Right now thinking of ordering a new yugo. Then id have spare parts and 4 mags. 100 bones for a barrel or 200 for the whole firearm.

Boolit Buddy
    Numrich has good return policy....

Tokarev,

Thanks for the illistrations, wish I woulda seen this before i tried the conversion. Good pics thanks.

I saw numerich has barrels, but you dont know if its cast friendly or not until its its in Your hand. Right now thinking of ordering a new yugo. Then id have spare parts and 4 mags. 100 bones for a barrel or 200 for the whole firearm.

Misery-Whip Check out the Toks at Classic Firearms. As I posted in my thread, These Romanian pistols are very nice, near new condition. For a couple hundred bucks. Gp

Tokarev,
    Right now thinking of ordering a new yugo. Then id have spare parts and 4 mags. 100 bones for a barrel or 200 for the whole firearm.
    Order 4x of them! At their price, and with their bullet velocity, they may become invaluable, if and when SHTF, which may be frightfully near.
    And order 2x extra mags for each! 9 rounds is ludicrous.
    You are going to hate me, if I will post how many I have

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Misery-Whip Check out the Toks at Classic Firearms. As I posted in my thread, These Romanian pistols are very nice, near new condition. For a couple hundred bucks. Gp
    I have a Hungarian TT as well. It is not only nicely made, but also comes with a higher quality, if only slightly different holster. USSR holsters have a blind pocket for the tip of the cleaning rod, while Hungarian has the same kind of loop as for the shank.