RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 358 Win cast with 4064

Boolit Buddy

358 Win cast with 4064

Anybody played with this powder in the 358 winchester and cast? I was using 3031 and ran out. I wanted to use a powder I had on hand and I have plenty of 4064. (Plus I could not get the 3031 to shoot under an inch and a half)I looked on Hodgdon's site but they did not list a starting charge of 4064, just a max. Bullet is a RCBS 35 200 and it is powdercoated. Would like velocity in the 2000+ range. Was thinking of starting in the 44 grain range but thought I would check here first.

I would use .35 Rem. data for 4064/ 200gr jacketed from the Lyman manual. 4064 is not a slow burner and the extra capacity of the .358 will keep the pressure down. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

How about the old rule "Reduce maximum load by 10% and work up"?

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, I was thinking wrong. I wanted to do 38-40 grains which is slightly under what I found for starting loads. Just wanted to make sure I was ok there. Read what Ackly had to say about low loads causing blow ups and has me cautious.

Boolit Master
    I ran your proposed load through Quickload and it's a very low pressure load. The predicted velocity is around what a 200gr RCBS GC cast bullet does in my Browning BLR 358 with 39gr IMR 3031.

Banned

Not 4064, but very close. My .358 Savage 99 really shined with 40 grains of IMR4320, a tuft of dacron filler on top and the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain flat point. Shoots very well for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I ran your proposed load through Quickload and it's a very low pressure load. The predicted velocity is around what a 200gr RCBS GC cast bullet does in my Browning BLR 358 with 39gr IMR 3031.
    The question is whether the pressure is so low as to cause problems

Banned

That load I listed for 4320 does not cause any problems, is accurate at 100 yards, far as I've tested it, and it did in a nice white tail doe very effectively one year for me.

Looking at the Hornady manual I keep handy, that load is about 3 grains under their minimum load with a 200 grain jacketed bullet, but I use that small filler of dacron pillow stuffing.

IMR 4320 and IMR 4064 start data for 2200 FPS in this manual is .2 grains difference, the burn rates are so close that I think you could interchange data.

Why not load a few and try them? Then it would settle in in your mind.

Boolit Master
    if you are concerned with the blowups with low starting loads with slow powders, I don't recall that being a problem with any powder faster than 4831 or maybe 4350 at the fastest.