Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: 460 Smith and Wesson loads for Encore rifle

460 Smith and Wesson loads for Encore rifle

I have my own water dropped 45 bullets sized to 452 and lubed with BAC. Bullets weighed out after culled are 460 grain flat nose. Dies should be here today. Lyman 50th doesn't use very many powders I have. I plan on 2400 or Unique if I can. I did find some 2400 loads for 454 casull which is the power I want from these. The 460 is a little rough on my shoulder. I am going to stick with 460 brass as I don't want to mess up the throat in the encore barrel. These will be used for deer within 100 yards. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to buy and shoot jacketed bullets and even if I did I don't think I could find any right now. Bad spot here. No gun sales. No ammo. Been making up a bunch since stay at home and work days.

I also have RL-7, HP-38, Titegroup, and H110. I really don't want H110 as it takes full power loads to be accurate in a 44 I have. Not sure it would work downloading it.

Now dies are here. Rcbs. The throat appears too small to get a loaded .452 cast without a lot of force. Even the factory was snug and I pulled one and it’s .451. May have to buy a few jacketed samples or coated lead at 451 and see if I have the same issues. Possibly buy a 450 and a 451 sized from NOE.

Boolit Master
    My brother loads a 320gr cast I do with Hi-Tek, he loads 38gr H4227 for just under 2,000 fps from 8'' barrel. In regard to tight fitting loads, are you sure it is not the neck of case that has been damaged during loading. I size all my brothers bullets at .452 and they just drop in. Regards Stephen

I’d like to think it was the bullet but after resizing the brass just trying to get it in is a little snug. Goes in but add 2/1000 to it and it sticks about 1/2 way in. I was able to load a 452 Hornady muzzle loading bullet in and it wet but was tight. Just a dummy bullet. No intentions of shooting it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wendyj View Post
    I’d like to think it was the bullet but after resizing the brass just trying to get it in is a little snug. Goes in but add 2/1000 to it and it sticks about 1/2 way in. I was able to load a 452 Hornady muzzle loading bullet in and it wet but was tight. Just a dummy bullet. No intentions of shooting it.
    If even sized brass doesn't drop right in, you have tight chambers. Call T/C. They will make it right.

Emailed EABCO. Maybe they will respond back.

Boolit Master
    I have not tried 2400 or unique. Some of the powders that work for 44 mag and 45 colt mid loads had questionable reviews in the large 460 case.

Trailboss is what I use for light loads and a 45 270 SAA boolit will move at 1,000 fps with 10 grains or so. It knocks down steel pigs at 80 yards with no problem but isn't as consistent/accurate as faster loads in my revolver. I'm not sure if TB would give enough speed for hunting.

Accurate 5744 is ideal for 460 mag and popular bullet weights. My loads are all 200-300 grains, so I'm not sure how it would do with such a heavy boolit. 5744 will make loads as slow as TB but can go almost to win 296/h110 levels. It is best suited for the mid loads that neither of the two previously listed powders can do......44 mag level.......240 grains at 1400-1500 fps. 5744 is made for reduced rifle loads.

That is the extent of what I have tried in the 460 mag for X Frame revolver use. 4895 seems to be considered too slow and I have not tried it.

Boolit Grand Master
    What brand of brass are you using? I have a 500 S&W rifle that I can't use one brand of brass for cast loads, but bought some Starline and it works fine. I can use a .5025 boolit now, before a .501 was snug.

I use the .452" muzzleloader bullets in my 460. They work well

So far just the first rounds fired from Federal Fusion ammo. The Hornady muzzleloader bullets I have did load but we’re still tight to push in. I’m thinking the throat is too small and I’m sure TC won’t like the fact it’s being reloaded. It’s a decent shooter with the peep site on it and I got around a 2.8 inch group at 100 yards but it beat the crap out of me. I used a lot of Unique in a 45-70 i shot a lot of cast out of. It didn’t appear to bother it that the cases were only a 1/3 full if that. Right now just waiting on EABCO if the virus hasn’t shut them down too. Was in local gun store today and background checks are taking up to 30 days now. #4 shot was Federal premium turkey loads at $49.99 for 5. I’ve got lots of ammo loaded up but only had about 400 br2 primers left and was able to get another 1000 today. Loaded a lot of 9 mm and 10mm over the winter but don’t reload shotgun. I like the lite weight 460 just to pitch it in the truck. May scope it up later on if I can get the reloads right. Kind of pricey buying factory if you can find it.

Boolit Master

I've had the best luck with IMR4227 with all weights, cast and jacketed.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I’ll see if I can find some today. Powder supplies are getting low too.