RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping cost of handgun?

Boolit Master

If you're happy, that's what counts.

Boolit Master

On a scarce hard to find item I guess you can bite the bullet. I would normally call his bluff and make him take the GB hit otherwise.......

When S&W 696s were hard to get I bought one on GB and the seller charged me nearly $90.00. He dropped this on me after the auction. I think the gun didn't bring what he wanted it to. I did get a good buy on it. I gave up the money but gave him an F on his feedback and went into detail about what a dishonest seller he was............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

This is a rip off. I send guns UPS to FFLs all the time and only pay shipping. Depends where it’s going as to how much. My FFL charges a flat $35 but he can send USPS flat rate, so he’s making $20 a gun. ( insurance extra )

Boolit Master

Shipping for my last GB handgun purchase (3-4 months ago) was $35, including insurance, from FFL seller in NC to gunshop just up the road. Took longer to get the gun...IL background check and waiting period...than it took USPS to get it here.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Ok, I did what I should have done when he first quoted me the 190.00 shipping fee. I called UPS. Shipping from his FFL in Arkansas to my FFL in Oregon is:
    50.00 air.
    35.00 for 3 day.
    25.00 ground.
    So, tomorrow I'm going to call him and ask him; What's going on?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Ok, I did what I should have done when he first quoted me the 190.00 shipping fee. I called UPS. Shipping from his FFL in Arkansas to my FFL in Oregon is:
    50.00 air.
    35.00 for 3 day.
    25.00 ground.
    So, tomorrow I'm going to call him and ask him; What's going on?
    What’s going on is his buddy is an FFL and charging $150 for the transfer, then kicking some of it back.

Also explains the lies about what the USPS will or will not do.

Nice gun though!

The point is you don’t need a FFL to ship to a FFL. You can ship UPS or Fedex yourself. Only FFLs can ship handguns in US mail. Individuals can ship long guns in the mail.

Boolit Master

Big companies that ship a lot get a significant discount. For example, I sent a revolver back for repair work last year, from Oregon to Florida, and was able to use my employer's corporate UPS account (with permission, and I paid) for the discount. I think it was Next Day Air, insured, with Adult Signature required, and it was something like $26. I don't remember what full retail was, but it was a lot more.

Maybe it just went for less than he was expecting, and he figured he'd either hose you with shipping to make up the difference, or you'd just back out and he could keep it. Who knows. Either way, if you're happy with it and OK with what it cost you, then all's well that ends well.

Boolit Master

I talked to him on the phone, after he had received the text I sent him about the shipping rates. He had rechecked the fees, and found that he had failed to check the option to get a cheaper rate. Tomorrow, he is going to pick up the package at his FFL, and go to the UPS facility and send it from there, hopefully with the proper shipping rate.

Boolit Master

I truly believe the seller is trying to get this transaction closed, as cheap and fairly as possible. Anyway, the cats out of the bag.

Boolit Master

Glad it's working out. Sounds like a neat gun!

Wow what a goose chase, but that is one slick looking pistol!!!

Boolit Master

Local Post Offices aren't allowed to make their own rules. Have an FFL box it up, fill out the form, and take to the PO. If they balk ask them to call the postal inspectors.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clintsfolly View Post
    My FFL mailed my handguns for $20. and cost of mailing. Never spent more $40. total. When gunsmith returns them he get $20. I figure it’s worth that to know my guns not setting on the porch and is in good hands!
    Me too!
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I have a local dealer who charges $10.00 over the actual shipping cost... And all handguns can go in a flat-rate USPS box if brought to the PO by a licensed dealer. Add some insurance to that and depending on the size of the box. The most I have ever been charged for a shipment is about $35.00...most are under $30.

The other dealers I deal with here are usually a $25.00 fee...

The last time I looked UPS and FedEx handguns do not have to be shipped OVERNIGHT but can also be shipped Second Day Air. This is a lot less money.

This is the fault of the seller for not knowing the shipping price before he posted the add. As a Buyer I also ALWAYS contact the Seller before I even bid on an auction if it says "Buyer Pays Actual Shipping Cost".

Just because someone has a A+ rating doesn't mean they know what they are doing...that rating could have all been from other Sellers rating someone as a Buyer...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    My FFL has charged $25 to receive a gun for me for several years. Last week I picked up two and without a word he charged me $35 each.

Maybe I should look into an FFL license. We only have one in town. Maybe he needs some competition?

Boolit Master

I called him again this morning. He went to the UPS facility and had everything straightened out. The box/container size and weight has a
    lot to do with the price. He originally had it packed and packaged in an oversize box for extra padding. So, he repackaged to a smaller box and sent it off. Total charge, 64.xx.
    I agree, he should have known all this information before he even started this sale. I definitely learned a lot from this situation. Hopefully, it will help others before they wind up in the same. Thank the you all for your information. It definitely helped.
    Handgun should be here Friday.
    Last edited by littlejack; 03-25-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Boolit Master

Happy to see that it worked out for you. Enjoy, james

Boolit Master

You bet.��

Boolit Master
    I've sent handguns to both manufacturers and gunsmiths and have'nt paid more than $85 thru UPS or FedEx have had some arguments about sending a handgun need to be an ffl etc but usually a phone call to higher ups solved the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast