RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping cost of handgun?

Boolit Master

Shipping cost of handgun?

I dont know if this is the proper site for this or not, but here goes.
    12 days ago I won a handgun on GunBroker. I sent the seller the winning bid in the form of a USPSMO. It took snail mail 7 days to get it to the seller in Arkansas. It was signed for and delivered. The seller went to ship it, via UPS, and the shipping fee was over 200.00 to my FFL in Corvallis Oregon. They flagged him because he was not an FFL holder. So, he took it to his dealer/FFL, and their UPS shipping is 190.00. So, he called me and tells me that he can't take that much of a hit for shipping. He hasn't cashed the MO, and told me he would send it back, OK? I told him I didn't have much choice, DO I? I told him I didn't want the money back, I wanted the handgun I had won, and for him to honor the auction agreement. Wanting the handgun, I told him I would send him half the postage, being 95.00. I told him I would send my half of the shipping cost, being 95.00
    When he sent proof the handgun was sent.
    So, he is supposed to contact me with the proof of it being sent when his FFL dealer gets it sent off. I guess my question is;
    He should have known what the shipping fee was going to be when he posted the handgun for auction, CORRECT?
    Has anyone been caught up in this type of situation?
    Opinions please.
    Regards

Boolit Master

Oh, one other thing.
    I contacted GunBroker, and apparently they expect buyers and sellers to solve their own issues. The seller said he would even give up his membership at GunBroker to not go through with the sale. So much for his A+ rating.

Right now some shipping costs are through the roof! I have seen that on some things I have tried to order lately and I have canceled my orders because of outrageous shipping costs. That really isn't his fault and I cant blame him for not wanting to just take the hit on it. Maybe ask him to hold onto it and give you first dibs when shipping calms down.

Boolit Master
    Have him call around and look for another FFL to send it. My local FFL charges $90 and that's mostly profit. The gun can be shipped a lot cheaper than that. I might be wrong on this part, but I believe an FFL can still ship through the mail.

Boolit Master
    I paid $60 to send one UPS a couple months ago.

The beauty of using the FFL is that they can use USPS, and I’d expect it to be cheap.

Boolit Master

I did tell him to try another FFL dealer in his area. He told me he had delt with three others in the past, and he won't do business with them again. I realize that the shipping fee is high. I thought I was stepping up to the plate to help him out him out with half of the fee, even though it is not my responsibility. If I had been the seller, l would have known what the shipping fees were before I put the item up for auction. If I hadn't known the shipping fee, by God I would have took the hit to keep my part of the bargain. I was raised by two Okie parents to honor your word, and when you make a deal with someone, you stick to your part of the deal. I know, in this day and age, that's doesn't hold true to many people.
    But it does me.

Boolit Master

Is it something not in production anymore. I'd walk myself. Sounds fishy to me for 2bills. My friend is an Internet FFL and ships everything for 30-40 bucks. Handguns USPS and long guns FEDEX with his account. I'd discretely find out the shop and inquire myself. It might be price gouging and if so I'd walk.

Boolit Master

Just remember that any handgun must be shipped overnight. Long guns don't. That accounts for the much higher cost. But even so, that amount is much higher than it should be.

My area dealer (FFL) will pack and ship for $80.

My FFL mailed my handguns for $20. and cost of mailing. Never spent more $40. total. When gunsmith returns them he get $20. I figure it’s worth that to know my guns not setting on the porch and is in good hands!

Sounds like price gouging to me . I was looking at handguns on GB and most shipping was $20 or less. As an aside, I only buy guns from ffl holders online. Just my preference.

Boolit Master

The seller told me a couple days ago, that his FFL only deals with UPS.
    I just came back from the PO, and the clerk quoted me, for a handgun, from FFL to FFL, 27.xx for a 7 pound package, and 38.xx for a 10 pound package. Doesnt sound like his FFL is taking very good care of his steady customers. What's up? Apparently he doesnt want to go to the trouble of driving to the PO.

An FFL dealer can ship a handgun via Flat Rate Box, to another FFL, however he/she has to fill out form 1508, which is a simple form: https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

If he/she adds insurance, then that's on top of the cost of the Flat Rate Box, and can normally be done for about $25.00+/- total. When I had my FFL, that was my preferred way of shipping a handgun, and it's normally quicker than FedEx or UPS, and a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    He could send it in a flat rate box for about $20 insured. Thats all it cost me, besides the $20 FFL fee to send a S&W 28. UPS was $105 and Fedex was $85. If all the FFL dealer will do is UPS, he needs to get another FFL dealer.

Boolit Master

Update:
    I just called the seller and told him what I found out at the PO. He said he knew that information. Apparently, he has four PO's in his area. I don't know how much area he is talking about. Here's the catch; Apparently the manager/s of the PO's are such that they can make up some of their own restrictions. His FFL/dealer told him that the PO's in their area will NOT accept firearms period.

Boolit Buddy
    The handguns that I have bought there were shipped for $10-$20.

I just bought a Walther PPS from a seller in Florida. I am in Washington .State. They charged me $10 for shipping.

The shipping on the last AR rifle i bought from PSA was $19

These folks appear to get special shipping rates.

Boolit Master

I dont know, seems to me, the whole system is screwed up. There seems to be different rates for a whole lot of different people and FFL's.

What was the agreement on shipping at the gunbroker auction? There’s always a line stating shipping costs. Usually a dollar amount or a line that says Buyer Pays Actual Shipping Costs. I feel it would be obligated to that.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Listing states, 3rd day shipping 30.00
    Ground 25.00.
    In my last conversation, the handgun is at his FFL/dealer being boxed up. Supposed to picked up by UPS tomorrow. As I look at what has happened, I believe it was a combination of a lot of things that went south at the same time. I believe I won the bidding of the handgun at a good price. So, with the circumstances of the situation, I have no choice. Besides, I want the handgun more than I want my money back.
    Item, Used, pristine, Davidsons Exclusive Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter 41 Magnum. Money sent 720.00. Money for extra shipping, 95.00. Total 815.00. The saying goes something like this.
    If you're happy with the price you payed, it was a good buy.
    I'm happy.
    Thank you for y'all's input.
    Last edited by littlejack; 03-24-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Boolit Master

I got a handgun from a dealer on GunBroker a few weeks ago. I didn't say won because it was a "buy it now" situation. I'm sure I paid a little more but the free shipping and no credit card fee were advantageous to me. Those 2 things were worth at least $50-60. I did check around GunBroker and could not find that particular handgun near that much less than I paid.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast