Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger Deerstalker carbine and cast

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Deerstalker carbine and cast

I was at my LGS a while ago and my father showed me a Ruger Deerstalker that was in great shape and what I knew was a good price, so I picked it up. It's an early 60s model.

I just learned though that you're not supposed to shoot cast in them, which is pretty disappointing, as I stopped shooting jacketed years ago.

Wouldn't a gas checked boolit protect the action from lead and lube just as well as a jacketed bullet? I'd sure like to use my GC 265 gr. Ranch Dog for this one.

Banned

My Dad shot cast in the two I remember him having for a while, don't recall any problems. Not sure how much he shot them.

People tell you that about M1 Carbines and the SKS too and yet, there are a lot of guys who do and have no problems.

The reason they don't recommend cast is that the gas vent hole in barrel can be plugged easier with cast/ lubes ect. Shoot all the cast & lead you want, just learn how to clean the gas system.
    The last few that I got on trade probably never had anything except jackets fired in them. They were fouled up to the point they wouldn't function reliably. Gas systems had never been cleaned since gun was new. Rugers marked Deer Slayer are collectors items. Ithaca sued Ruger over that name and won. The early models had steel recievers and are sought by collectors too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post

The early models had steel recievers and are sought by collectors too.

Both Ruger .44 mag autoloaders, the Deerslayer and the later M-99/44 Deerfield (base on Ruger's Mini-14), had steel receivers - as did the M-96/44 levergun.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I shot a lot of cast in a Ruger Deerstalker years ago that belonged to a friend. It didn't do well with the 429421 but did extremely well with the 429215. Back then I didn't quite understand the slow twist (30 something inch twist0 and the longer 255 gr 429421 weren't all that compatible. Since it shot the GC'd 429215 so well I attributed the better accuracy to the GC in the shallow rifling when it was actually the twist. I figured that out when I tried some GC'd 429244s and they didn't shoot much better than the 429421s. Some time later the owner got a lee 240 gr GC mould and got the same great accuracy as I got with the 429215s.

I never had a problem with the gas system fouling and neither has the owner last I heard. Ruger says not to use reloads also...…...
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

USMC 77, USRA 79

i use cast in mine... use Xlox from lee as bullet lube.... i use other lubes for all my other guns, but Xlox specifically for the 44 carbine... works great for me...

+1 to learning to clean your gun's gas port correctly..... and I use a gas checked 240gr boolit for that gun.. just seems to work well... it is a 100 yard gun though.. perfect for dense brush.

marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys, I think I'll try some gas checked boolits and keep an eye on the fouling.

Is there a resource other than the manual for disassembly/cleaning of these rifles?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    A lot of hunters here in Louisiana used them hunting in the swamps for pigs. And could get off a few shots in seconds. And here I am a city boy from NY with a 444 marlin. If fact out range officer swore by the little rugers.Said they were just the best thing around for pigs. Frank