RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Cracked Lyman 45

Cracked Lyman 45

Has anyone here repaired a lyman 45 with the crack that you can get at the set-screw for the sizing die? If you have I would love to hear all about it.

Thanks,

Mark

Banned
    I have one like that, It has a nut brazed to the frame allowing a slightly larger set screw to be used. It is not factory pretty, but it works well.

I got it years ago from a cranky older gentleman who could be very short on patience with his tools.

I welded one with a high nickle arc welder rod made for cast. Still works and doesn't leak if you use a soft lube.

thank you all!

Boolit Master

I was at an estate sale years ago and here are three Lyman #45 frames, painted Lyman orange that had never been used. Never figured how that came about. Didn't have the money or I'd have bought them. Pretty hard to make repairs on a casting. It can be done but a welder had to know what he's about./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    In my opinion and experience, brazing is the best way to repair most cast iron fractures.

Another big check mark for a "hotplate".

Our Presto griddle gets used for so many things in the shop it is amazing. We do restoration work on all sorts of precision equipment. Often times it's broken cast pieces. Throwing the part up on the griddle,set it wide open hot for an hour or so(depends a LOT on the part's size) then,while it's still on the griddle,Tig it with silicone bronze filler rod. Much more to it but that's the gist. Leave it on the griddle and again,depending on the part size,ramp the heat down over an extended period.

If the part was here,I'd Tig it up for you,government style..... shipping C.I. gets a bit out of wack($$$).