Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol in 7.62x39

Banner Sponsor

AR Pistol in 7.62x39

Hi Everybody, I ordered a new toy to keep me occupied during the great quarantine of 2020. It's an AR in 7.62x39. It should be coming in tomorrow.

I checked my 30 cal molds and all I have is the 311041 in plain base and gaschecked, the RD TLC311 165 RF, original and improved, I have an NOE 30XCB and the 190gn Fat 30 also.

I've been reading though a bunch of the old posts. and it seems like guys are shooting various 150s. Has anybody tried the Ranch Dog 165 in the little Rooskie?
    I could get a new mold to go with it if needed. I'll have to do a chamber cast when I get it and see what size it might prefer.
    I'm open to any thoughts.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably all molds you have will work if powder coated to get the diameter up to spec. As far as what to push it with I don't have a clue what will work with that gas setup, probably the same powder the 300 BO guys use. I am having good luck in the Ruger American Ranch with the RD offering for that Rooski round but I don't know if it will feed in an AR. It feeds in a mini 30 but damages the meplat a bit in the process. The RCBS 130 SP would probably shine if you don't mind a pointy one. I believe Corky is using that one in the Hammer albeit with a much longer gas system.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would think the 30xcb would work well. Ya gonna have a bit of muzzle flash there!!!

Boolit Master

I built an AR Pistol for 300 BO with a 10" barrel. Subsonic loads are cool using the Lee 309-230 5R, for Supers I have a Lee C309-150 RF, and an NOE C309-150 3R. The 300 BO is a fun shooter and I did not experience too much muzzle flash. My 7.5" 223/5.56 on the other hand is is so loud it is obnoxious . . . but I like it! I have the 223/5.56 downloaded using a cast boolit that normally gives my 16" carbines 2250 FPS, and I think the 7.5" only getting about 2000 FPS.

Your 7.62X39 should be a real fine distraction. I went on an AR building kick a few years ago which cost me double what most people are charged. It could be that if I build 1, the first one goes to SWMBO, and she really likes her AR 15 in 9mm using Colt stick mags. Sure, I could get the Glock mag adapter but then I would probably have to get my SIL a Glock to go with his 9mm AR.

I look forward to hearing range reports from your new acquisition.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banner Sponsor

They sent me the wrong Caliber!
    It's a 223 Wylde, not 7.62x39.
    I couldn't see the caliber marking on the barrel because it was covered by the barrel shroud.

Boolit Buddy
    Dangit, keeping it or sending it back?

Banner Sponsor

Sending it back. Unless they want to send me another one at a huge discount, lol. I don't know if the wife would go for that...

Boolit Master
    Just received my 7.62x39 pistol upper from delta team tactical.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    What bore diameter? Some makers chamber 0.311” barrels, some use 0.308”. It matters of course...

Banner Sponsor

When it finally gets here I'll slug the bore, do a chamber cast and let you know.
    I'm still waiting on them to send me a return shipping label.
    I emailed and suggested that they just sell me a 7.62x39 upper and then they wouldn't have to pay shipping back and forth and should be alot less paperwork... They said that they had to have this one back, so maybe they shipped out the wrong serial number and need it back to make their books straight?
    I've got some excellent looking 150gn RD powder coated boolits sitting here just waiting to know how deep to seat them.

Boolit Buddy
    So Glenn, what company made that pistolla and how long is the barrel ? That ought to be a hoot to shoot!!

Banner Sponsor

Federal Arms in Fort Smith AR. The barrel is 7.5".
    I picked up one of the Tromix linear comps to help with the muzzle blast.

The inside and end comes out so you can clean it. Should help with shooting cast in it.
    I put one on my 450 Bushmaster and really like it.

Boolit Master
    If you can find a subsonic cast load that cycles reliably you will have a really fun steel clanger.

Boolit Buddy
    Really looking forward to a range report, and maybe seeing one (video) also. The comp is threaded 5/8-24 ? Looks like it may be easier on the ears compared to "regular" comps I have used on rifles.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Linear comps, especially the longer ones, do reduce concussion from short barrels and do deflect some of the sound away from the shooter. The one the OP has is a nice concept since comps do load up with lead and powder fouling, taking it apart for cleaning is a great idea. The downside is that it weighs about four times what an A2 flash hider weighs ( 8 oz vs ~2 oz). That may or may not matter to many, just a point to consider.

Banner Sponsor

Well, I finally have it.

This time it showed up in the correct caliber. The castle nut for the buffer tube was loose, the muzzle device was barely tight. At least the handgaurd was alligned with the upper so the rails were at the same angle. On the first one it was off by more than a little bit.

I got it sighted in and started testing the different factory ammo for accuracy, nothing was spectacular, then I noticed that the quick detatch base had come loose from the scope mount. So I locktited that back together and got it rezeroed.
    I kept having problems with misfires with Tulammo. It looked like light primer strikes. If I loaded the same round and tried it again, then it would fire.

I tried some Win FMJs and they all fired without a hitch.
    Cupajoe found a longer firing pin, so I ordered a couple of those along with a Wolff extra power hammer spring. Hopefully that will help.

I have some different cast loaded to try next.

Boolit Buddy
    Could just be the angle, but it looks like that primer in the Tulammo is set pretty deep. I've had some issues with Tulammo before. I've found Wolf to be a little better as far as cheap ammo goes.

How much does the tromex help? Another one doesn't have the baffles.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Firing pin should correct things. Had to modify mine on one of my x39 uppers to work with steel cased ammo

Banner Sponsor

The Tromix linear comp works great on the 450 Bushmaster, I can hunt with it without hearing protection and don't notice it.
    I didn't shoot the 7.62x39 pistol with the stock muzzle brake, so I can't give a direct comparison. It's not bad to shoot with earplugs in, but I don't think I want to try it without.
    Last edited by lar45; 04-13-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast