WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: M1 carbine split brass

Boolit Man

M1 carbine split brass

So just looking for a little input. I have a vintage M1 I have only shot twice, same box of 50 Winchester 110 gr. First time about a year ago from the same box all was fine, yesterday 25 more rounds out of the same box, collecting brass I had 3 split cases. I got the box of ammo from my uncle and we are both about 98% sure this is factory ammo. What is the obvious issue? Chamber issue? I have read about some brittle winchester brass. They could possibly be reloads I guess, but no signs of loading on the case, no flat primers. The worst part is my son was shooting it !

Boolit Master
    Could be a couple things. Brittle brass, exposure to certain house hold chemicals,or just plain old age. Old 303 British ammo is well past its expiration date. Wanted some for velocity testing and a buddy had some. Must have been stored poorly as was covered in corrosion spots. Picked the best 20 and fired them all. That old cordite was pretty regular with velocities around 2440 which was the original velocity. Not all were the same. When a case split velocities nose dived. Then had to really clean that barrel due to the corrosive priming. Frank

Boolit Man
    This stuff is commercial Winchester in a fairly modern box, has a sticker with a bar code, no corrosion, I mean it looks like brand new shiny factory loaded ammo! No marks from dies at all. Is there some way to tell if these are reloads if I pull one apart?

I encountered some brand new .243 and 25-06 Winchester brass ten years ago that split necks on the second loading on roughly 1out of 3 cases. I scrapped the rest; luckily they were 50 count bags. Until I got my 38-55 last year, I hadn't used Winchester brass since then. I try to always wear shooting glasses because you never know what can happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Send it to a gunsmith. Most likely brittle brass though.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Man
    ALWAYS glasses! I came pretty close to losing an eye about 10 years ago to a sawzall, I wear glasses all day at work, in the garage, shooting, loading, mowing, chainsaw, anything I do

Boolit Master
    For over three decades I have had experiences that I could only look to the possible and also confirmed random quality of the Winchester product. Short brass out of the bag, split shoulder/neck first fire, bad primers, over that period they having probably outsourced so much they probably have lost count. When it's good it's good, I still purchase, but bad be bad. Confirming head space and a chamber cast would remove doubt, but my money would be on ammo. Very glad Junior was not harmed but it also opens the door for an excellent teaching moment. Nothing in life is 100% safe, sticking your nose over a pipe bomb does induce risk. A great caring dad, proper education with correct PPE, sounds like the boy is set up for a lifetime of enjoyment. And remember, reloading cuts your shooting cost, HAHAHAHA!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    For over three decades I have had experiences that I could only look to the possible and also confirmed random quality of the Winchester product. Short brass out of the bag, split shoulder/neck first fire, bad primers, over that period they having probably outsourced so much they probably have lost count. When it's good it's good, I still purchase, but bad be bad. Confirming head space and a chamber cast would remove doubt, but my money would be on ammo. Very glad Junior was not harmed but it also opens the door for an excellent teaching moment. Nothing in life is 100% safe, sticking your nose over a pipe bomb does induce risk. A great caring dad, proper education with correct PPE, sounds like the boy is set up for a lifetime of enjoyment. And remember, reloading cuts your shooting cost, HAHAHAHA!
    And I was hoping to have some nice winchester brass to load! I guess I am starting to second guess my decision to buy Winchester factory so I have good brass to load.

Boolit Master
    Starline, think Starline.

Boolit Master
    Winchester may or may not be making the brass for all the cartridges they load. Sellier & Bellot a Czech ammo maker sometimes did or does make some of the brass for Winchester. And their brass for whatever reason does not even compare to either Remington or Federal. S&B 303 British blew a primer right out of the primer pocket in my #4MKII. Never did find the primer. And one time had a 303 case made by them almost separate head from the main body. This is when their ammo came in small blue cardboard boxes of 20. I had shot some of their 8mm Mauser in my Yugo M48BO and had no problems with it. Maybe they upped their game and make better brass. Only reason I used their ammo is that I got a great deal at $10 a box of 20. Frank

Try a new, different brand of ammo to see if it's the ammo or the gun.