12 60.00%
  • H335

1 5.00%

3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading for the Ishapore in 308

Boolit Master
    The Ishapore .308 rifles were designed to handle the 48,000 CUP NATO standard Ball loads. The .303 equivalent, in pressure, would be the Mk 8Z loads.
    I commonly use a .303 load with a 150 grain Hornady j word at 25-2,600 FPS. Using IMR 4320 powder. In my SMLE. Chamber pressure is supposed to be 46,000 CUP.
    A similar .308 load should work well in converted mausers and the Ishapore rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    RogerDat,

Lets us know how you make out. I'm always ready to learn.

Bunch of brass is prepped and ready to load, have a bunch of cast Lee 309-170 bullets sized, gas checked, and powder coated. As soon as I can write down loads I'm putting in the cases on an index card... Still doing some digging. I really want to use that BL-C(2) but not finding a whole lot of data for it in 308.

Nothing in Lyman, have to check a digital copy of the Lee Manual that I have. I did find 4198 loads for 170 grain in Lyman and it has me thinking of trying it. I have that powder for other uses.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

If your going to use the BLC-2 with that bullet then I'd suggest a dacron filler. Most often BLC-2 doesn't burn efficiently with the lighter loads needed to keep that 170 gr cast bullet under 1950 fps for good accuracy. The dacron filler helps it burn more efficiently and consistently. Using a 200 - 220 gr bullet (has more mass than the 170 gr) would even be better such as a 311/314299.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    If your going to use the BLC-2 with that bullet then I'd suggest a dacron filler. Most often BLC-2 doesn't burn efficiently with the lighter loads needed to keep that 170 gr cast bullet under 1950 fps for good accuracy. The dacron filler helps it burn more efficiently and consistently. Using a 200 - 220 gr bullet (has more mass than the 170 gr) would even be better such as a 311/314299.
    Does a magnum primer help with the burn efficiency?

I have a bullet much like the 314299 it is an NOE mold intended for 303 British. Hadn't thought about it but maybe I should size and gas check a few for testing with the BL-C(2).

I do have the Lee 180 grain .312 bullet I could probably size down. It may be that the BLC-(2) is better suited to jacketed rounds. I have some of those in 30 caliber around ranging from 162 to 180 grain as I recall. Hey people don't judge I got them cheap!

Red Dot, and Varget along with 4198 and 4895 might be better flavors for me to test out for cast lead.

I was already thinking about the smaller 160 grain .312 TL bullet from Lee because I have some for 7.62x39 Russian and it will size down. Sounds like since I'm velocity limited more weight could be better than less.

I do want to see if Lyman #2 alloy and PC will allow me to get past 2,000 fps with decent accuracy.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 03-30-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Grand Master

My testing of BLC-2 (and original BLC) with cast bullets in the .308W and 30-06 back in the day was with CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Found Modern Reloading 2nd Edition - By Richard Lee has BL-C(2) loads, as well as Varget and H335 with loads sub 2k fps. Also 4895 load data. That book covers these powders better than Lyman 4th does. It also lists each powder and bullet weight with a list of charges corresponding to cc measures and expected fps and pressure.

Worth noting that the BL-C loads go over 2k fps just a couple grains over where the data notes a double charge is no longer possible. 28 grains can double charge. A 140 grain bullet has 1970 fps. listed for 29 grains. A 170 grain looks a bit better 1980 fps. with 32 grains. A few grains to work with before getting down to possible to double charge. I can see where at 1/2 case some filler is often suggested. Not a process I would really want to pursue. Better to use a different powder to my way of thinking

I'm not stuck on BL-C but I have a good amount on hand from when I couldn't get Varget. Would like to find a use for it. I have a BL-C load for .223 but Varget works better there by enough that I don't use BL-C since I now have Varget.

I had a friend suggest trying to use up some of my odds and ends of powder rather than worrying about trying to find load in powder I have in quantity. Use up the odd ball stuff, then find a load for the mainstays I want to have on hand.

Was a different way to look at it that has me thinking. I have a couple pounds of 4895 or a pound of 8208 XBR and using them up would certainly free up some space.

A wee bit off thread, but I noticed your topic and content, is of high interest. Availability of stuff in general is scarce where I am. Choices become very important. I notice that the Lyman Cast book has 308Winchester(7.62NATO) running a 173gr cast at an astonishing 2787fps. (Jealous) I only load for one rifle (303Brit) and so seek out all the info I can get. Wanting to shoot as flat as I can with cast, so loads like this get me looking, into what is going on, Lyman mention a 1:10 twist for there 308 cast loads gun - it's the same twist as 303Brit. The flattest cast shooter that I have data for is 155gr #311466 @2217fps (Lyman#44) Maybe I can get to the data goal of 174gr @ 2440fps. - I have more Lyman cast books on route to me ----- I did say a wee bit off thread.
    But in your 308 rifle I would be delighted to find 4895/AR2206H full house loads that shot well. --- mainly cos that's what I keep in the cupboard

Be careful of your headspace!

My Ishy has excessive and easily chambers a No-Go.

I tried to paper patch for it, but just went to light cast loads after finding the headspace issue.

I did add a Williams peep sight on the back and can easily shoot cast with 10 grains of Unique.

I bought some once fired military 7.62 that I was told came through a machine gun (suppose to have large chambers). I never resize them, just hit the necks with a Lee Collet neck sizer. Of course, these loads and brass are dedicated to this one gun.

Hi Robert. Welcome aboard.

I see you are in my part of the world - I'm in the North Shore region, semi-rural. I have a bunch of 303's and a 25-303. I am also looking for AR2206H loads although I also have other powders.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Hello Mr 303Guy - Yes I'm up north (Kawakawa) but do spend a lot of time near you, - in Warkworth.... It really is a scavenge hunt - to look for 303B cast data. I was so happy to discover the older Lyman books, still available, although somewhat tatty. (I've started a collection) - I had thought, the Lyman cast book #4 was the be all and end all. --- But definitely not, just the standard Lyman reloading handbook #44 from 1957 has more useful cast data. If I take a look at 303B, 308Nato and 270Win - they all have more options data in that old book -- some adding 500fps. Well worth a look see.
    Last edited by Robert Berthier; 05-05-2020 at 02:41 AM.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    The best groups I ever got when I was shooting my Ishapore 20 years ago was with Copper washed Berdan 10 cents a shot steel case surplus ammo.

Boolit Master
    The best groups I ever had with my 4#2 Was some ammo I bought off a local ffl dealer back in the late 80’s early 90’s. It was marked Alton I’ll. I Remember Outpost 75 sending me a pic of the box he had. It was the exact same stuff. I only had around 7 or 8 boxes of it and remembered hoarding the last 2 boxes I had. At 300 yards open sights when I was still young I could shoot ten rounds into 3 1/2 ‘’

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12