RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bought a Low wall in 22lr last night.

Boolit Master

Bought a Low wall in 22lr last night.

I picked up a 22lr Low Wall on an auction site last night. It was a great price so I used the "buy it now" button.

I have noticed single shots getting cheaper lately. I bet if this virus kills off enough of us old guys the bottom will fall out of single shot rifles.

I'm pretty young in the single shot crowd @ 47. You have to wonder how many of these guns will go on the market in the next year or so.

If I passed away I'm sure the AR's and such would find a home in the family but my collection of single shoots would hit the auction sites. Probably listed wrong also........
    Last edited by GARD72977; 03-23-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Nice - Here's hoping it's a Winder Musket.

FWIW - to keep my family aware in the event of my sudden death (I'm in my late 70's):

In my gun safe I keep both an up-to-date printed inventory of all my guns & custom knives, with all details, DOM & price paid whenever - which I update monthly or as I acquire/divest anything.

On each item, I tie on a small white price tag with the basic info for each item.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    It's just a really nice straight grip Sporter with heavy bbl and nice sights. Bbl is new and frame has been re color case hardened. Not a collector grade just a nice shooter

I don't have a Winder on my radar yet.....
    Last edited by GARD72977; 03-23-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Boolit Master

I am going to take mine with me!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have noticed single shots getting cheaper lately.
    Stevens Tip Up's are reasonable priced now, then H7R's, Stevens 44's - Uberti HiWall, Ballards, Stevens 44 1/2's - Ballards and Meynards in ascending prices. All the Sharp's are holding their prices and German Schuetzen rifles. Add engraving and premium prices prevail
    Regards
    John

[QUOTE=GARD72977;4857543]I picked up a 22lr Low Wall on an auction site last night. It was a great price so I used the "buy it now" button.

I have noticed single shots getting cheaper lately. I bet if this virus kills off enough of us old guys the bottom will fall out of single shot rifles.

Kinda callous there aint ya’ Gard? Virus kills off enough of us old guys? With that line of thought Lincolns and Caddies will get cheap and plentiful. And they’ll be a glut of trophy wives out there too, easy pickins.

Boolit Master
    The same thing happened to coin collecting over the past 30 years. There just aren't enough young people interested in single shot rifles. The people I work with all say they love single shots but they are thinking handi rifle style guns. I'm just pointing out that at sometime there will be more supply than demand.

I'm not looking forward to this. I have a lot of money in single shots that will lose value.

I still love them and plan on buying what I can afford. It's not an investment for me anyway.

Hey I put myself in this group. It got me thinking what my family would be able to get for my guns.

I dunno as I'd want a second-hand trophy wife. She'd be spoiled rotten.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I dunno as I'd want a second-hand trophy wife. She'd be spoiled rotten.
    :-

I'm laughing. That opens up a whole new line of jokes. "second-hand trophy wives".

Gard, you are on a roll here with the fun singleshot rifles! Good for you!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats on your new low wall - ought to be a lot of fun!

At the "old age of 47" though, I wouldn't be thinking about more guns . . . I'd be thinking about a headstone . . . a nice one with a single shot rifle carved on it . . . . .

I'm a bit more ancient than you by a number of decades . . .. but I have never worried about what will happen to my guns after I'm gone . . . I've instructed my wife to remarry someone who will enjoy and use them . . . you alway have to be thinking ahead!

Enjoy that new rifle!

Boolit Grand Master
    I was about 43 when I got interested in single shots and joined ASSRA. At that time I was watching all those “old guys” in their mid- to late 60s with their classic rifles. I just turned 70 this year and now the remaining ones of those guys really define old!

Age is just a number, and as long as yours keeps getting bigger, it’s no big deal!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Yes, age is just a number, but it sure does not help to be a Disabled Military Veteran in the current social context.
    At least the ADA law did help all 'elderly' folks and especially the disabled ones of all versions.
    I enjoyed an interesting military career and was able to make it to Retirement age with over 40 years service.
    Now I am listed as both an Agent Orange Disabled Veteran and an Ionizing Radiation Disabled Veteran from my experiences.
    At 77 years and counting, it is getting more difficult to afford my 'hobbies'.
    But I still enjoy them.
    "Keep on keeping on and keep living!
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-31-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    To the original poster those low walls are very cool guns. I have been looking at the new Hi Wall in 38/55 and I want one real bad...……………………….curdog

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    To the original poster those low walls are very cool guns. I have been looking at the new Hi Wall in 38/55 and I want one real bad...……………………….curdog
    I have a C. Sharps Highwall in 38-55. Mine has a 1/15 twist. This cartridge is quickly becoming my favorite. I like shooting the lighter 235-265gr bullets. Very pleasant to shoot and accurrate. The slower twist 38-55 don't have as much interest as the fast twist. You can find them at a good price. I'm thinking about having a Hepburn rebarrelled or re bored to a 1/18 twist 38/55