MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone shoot X Ring (or other brand) rubber bullets?

Boolit Master

Anyone shoot X Ring (or other brand) rubber bullets?

I'm staying away from the shooting ranges these days until this Coronavirus stuff subsides. I'm going a little stir crazy though.

I dug out the X Ring rubber bullets I bought about 30 years ago. I don't recall doing much with them, I do know I shot them a few times, dismissed them as something I really didn't need to mess with.

I don't remember much. I do know I needed to prep cases for revolver use by drilling out flash holes, which I did 25 .38 special cases, Still got them. I remember you just primed the cases, then seated the bullets by hand. I also recall the point of impact being pretty low, and last night when I fired the 12 remaining rounds I had loaded, that was born out.

One thing that surprised me was I stuck one in the barrel of my 8 3/8ths inch M 27! The other 5 cleared, as well as the 6 I shot through the 6 inch M27. Was there any sort of restriction/warning about that?

Anything else I should know? Who is having success with these? Any advice would be appreciated

I just tried some of the old ones that have plastic cases. The accuracy was horrible- wax bullets shot better IIRC. Plus a couple of the rubber/ plastic? bullets rebounded back at me from the cardboard box target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Or you can make your own with a hot glue gun and any mould you have on hand . Used to be a few threads on making them on here . Same procedure just use a primed case , I made a few for my 30-06 but primer wasn't strong enough to clear the barrel had to add 1 gr of Bullseye and shot decent at 50 ft
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Many moons ago I shot wax bullets from my Mod 19- 6". Same process; drill out flash holes and use only primer for propellant. Those are really easy, though. Just push a sized case through a regular block of paraffin wax, prime and shoot. Good to maybe 10'.

Any more, if I'm stuck at home, I shoot my Crossman pump-up air pistol in the basement. A box full of magazines makes a good pellet catcher.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

We tried some in .44, amazingly, they dented the inside of a double layer garage door pretty good. Accuracy was fair and I didnt drill out any primer pockets.

Boolit Master

Many years ago, I had a bunch of those X-Ring rubber bullets and, IIRC, they were pretty accurate...at least out to 10 meters. At that time, I was shooting in an indoor air pistol league and had a practice range with some kind of commercial pellet trap (Crosman?) in the basement which also worked pretty good for the rubber bullets. Used to practice 'slow fire' with my Gold Cup, cycling the slide manually.

Unfortunately, don't have those anymore...gave them away (to someone on this forum?) during one of my semi-annual bench clean-ups.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    Two alternatives come to mind; first the old plastic bullets with plastic cases made by Speer. The primer pocket in those little red "cases" was drilled and the case was designed to hold a little dark grey full wadcutter bullets. You could shoot them at a heavy blanket or quilt then gather up the bullets and reuse them. This was one of those good ideas I never quite got around to using.

The second light practice bullet is the wax bullet used in Cowboy Fast Draw. These wax bullets use a fairly stiff wax formula and instead of drilling a larger flash hole the whole primer cavity is redrilled to accept a shotgun primer. We shoot these indoors and out at steel disc targets about 15 feet away. The increased power of the shotgun primer gives very reliable propulsion.

I remember seeing the rubber bullets advertised and may even have picked up a sample bag or two of them at NRA meetings or gun shows, but I have to admit I've never gotten around to shooting any of them. "So many neat toys, so little time to play!"

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I still have 2 left for my .38 but I don't shoot them, once I found the hot glue thread, I started making them from my daughters glitter sticks and we shoot paper targets in the living room much to my wife's chagrin! I made a mold for them with silicone, it works splendidly!

I do cast undersized and wax them.

Boolit Buddy

Good thread. Would the speer red case rubber bullets shoot good in a 26" Rossi 357 mag?
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA