Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Most of My .44cal Round Balls are coming out a little rinckle looking i

Most of My .44cal Round Balls are coming out a little rinckle looking i

Hey folks I am have a question it has been very cool here & it seems that most every .44 cal round ball is coming out with some rinkles in them is the mold not hot enough or it this cooler weather causing this the first 350 turn out perfectly & it was 74 degrees that day & ii have tried three times to cast more buy that are coming out rinkled

I use Lee round ball molds and have to run the pot at 800 degrees plus to get round balls that look like chrome and wrinkle free.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You have to run pure lead hotter than alloy to get it wrinkle free.
    Happy casting!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    With pure lead, run your pot hot. Hot enough so the balls turn gray as they cool.

I also found that round balls don’t “pressure cast,” for reasons I can’t fathom. Whatever ladle you use, hold it horizontal to the horizontal mould just off the sprue hole, tilt the ladle gently, and trickle the stream in sidewise. Generally, I get a lot of rejects using this technique on regular boolits, but it has eliminated all wrinkles on all my round ball castings, from .25 to .620.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Keep your mold hot - your moving cadence up and turn up the heat on your lead - walla - the wrinkles will go away. If you mold a bunch and you feel like your sprue isn't cooling off fast enough (solidifying) - slow your cadence down or take a break and let the mold cool a bit and then continue. Doesn't make any difference if your blocks are steel or aluminum - the same goes. With a little fiddling, you'll get it. Good luck and enjoy!

Boolit Grand Master

Its either one of two things. Either your mold or your lead is not hot enough. It may even be both of those. Or your mold may be contaminated with something. Get after it with either some brake cleaner and an old tooth brush or some hot water and Dawn. A lot of guys like to heat cycle a new mold 2 or 3 times before using it.

Boolit Buddy
    SMOKE those moulds.............use the old fashioned strike anywhere matches and leave those cavities looking like a coal mine entrance!!

Heat might be part of your problem, but I betcha the smokin' will solve your problem.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't understand how smoking a mold could possibly help fillout. Your mold is too cold, that is all there is to it. You can cast faster, or raise the pot temp, your choice. Pure lead will not frost, so if you are getting that, you are likely using an alloy not well suited to a revolver.