Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love the J-frames, Smith & Wesson Model 36

Boolit Master

Love the J-frames, Smith & Wesson Model 36

I was looking for another small carry gun, and I had a need for a revolver, so I found a nice used Smith & Wesson Model 36. I've had a few of these over the years and this one is the best shooter. I had just gotten it the night before, so I hadn't really given it a deep cleaning, so it looks better now. I used some cheap 158 grain LRN rounds here, and for a double action revolver, it shoot really well. Got to love these snubbies.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Grand Master

I put a set of the hip grips on mine and on my 360, makes them very easy to carry. Mine are very good shooters. Is it the steel frame or the Air weight?

Boolit Grand Master
    When it comes to carry revolvers, anything other than a 36 or 60 is a step down, IMHO. I have two very different iterations, a Baby CS for deep concealed carry and a 60-4 for just about anything else.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I had a m38 that I traded for a m19 snub, I wish I had kept it.

Boolit Master
    Have to agree with Froggie. All steel,no mystery metal Model 36 got it when Louisiana came out with concealed carry permits. Matter of fact it's sitting right next to the computer as I type this.
    Frank

Fine looking gun. They have a certain balance to both the hand and eye. I like those grips that mimic the shape of the uncle mikes rubber grips. I think altamont makes them. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    When it comes to carry revolvers, anything other than a 36 or 60 is a step down, IMHO. I have two very different iterations, a Baby CS for deep concealed carry and a 60-4 for just about anything else.

Froggie
    I had a S&W 60-4, didn't realize it was a short run or I'd of kept it. Oh, well, thats the way it goes somethings.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

We had an old nickle plated 3" heavy barreled 36 that shot lights out with cast wadcutters out to 25 yards. Looked ugly as home made sin because the nickle was rubbed off one side but it would sure shoot. Yup I traded it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

I am a fan of the 36.
    It is my first choice for Carry.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Carried a 442 daily for about 4yrs now and I love the little gun. Being an Airweight its not as svelte as a steel gun and a little more harsh to shoot but it carries like a dream! Love the J-Frame!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Buddy

640, hammerless, stainless, great pocket gun.

Nice Model 36. I like the aluminum-framed Model 37 myself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Have to agree with Froggie. All steel,no mystery metal Model 36 got it when Louisiana came out with concealed carry permits. Matter of fact it's sitting right next to the computer as I type this.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I had a S&W 60-4, didn't realize it was a short run or I'd of kept it. Oh, well, thats the way it goes somethings.
    I, on the other hand, found out about them after they were gone. If it hadn't been for Dale53 I'd probably still be trying to find one!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Frank
    I have a 637-2 hammerless Wyatt Deep Cover /Gun smoke custom which is why it is always on me and not by the computer

Boolit Master
    Same here, just love J Frames! 2 inch M36 for carry, and I found a 36-6, 3 inch adjustable sights for woods and water fun! The 4 inch M31 is nice and Rossi gave us a couple clones(22lr 4 inch and a 3 inch 32swl) that are good shooters. That 3 inch shoots right with my M10 heavy barrel using 150gr was cutters and 3.5 of bullseye! Like smaller guns, what can I say. SP101s are heavy and Diamondbacks are $$$$$$, S&W J frames are just right! K Frames are great too, but the N is just too big for me.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I had a beauty with a square butt and a 3 inch barrel, both of which I prefer. I could keep cans rolling at 15-20 yards. Like the rest of you sinners, I traded it off.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy

Got three of them, two are model 36, one in my nightstand and one for my wife. I also carry a 642, nice, light and compact. Does have a fair amount of recoil, so I practice with lightloaded wadcutters and keep the +P rounds for serious purposes. P.S., I also have a shortened (legal length) pump 12 gauge close by too. Carries full honk number 4 buckshot.......

I would love to have another m36 to replace the one that I hand polished and cold blued because "J.W." engraved his initials on the frame. It was ugly, but what a shooter it was. I have about given up hope of finding one at a decent price. One in .32 would be just gravy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I found a 36 snub about a dozen years ago and snatched it up as soon as I saw it. Mine was a "sock drawer gun" and it looked unfired. I carried it for a long time - switched to a baby Glock but I still carry it once in a while. About a year after I got the snub, I found a 3" Model 36 and that joined the herd. The 3" model is an easy carry as well - both are excellent shooters and a lot of fun. I load both 38 Colt Short and Long as well as 38 Special and I love using the 38 Colt Short in the 3" with a 115 grainish cast boolit over either BE or RD - a cheap load and it's lots of fun for plinking and small critters.

Enjoy your 36! As you know - they are a great little revolver - I wouldn't part with mine for love nor money.

Boolit Master
    I love the vintage J-frame S&W's. My choice for grips is the original wood stocks with a Tyler's T-grip added to fill up the hand. I got started on the Tyler's many years ago and they still fit my hand like before. Best of all they are still available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast