Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Finally got the Sharps .50-70 carbine to the range

Boolit Master

Finally got the Sharps .50-70 carbine to the range

I finally got my hands on a Sharps 1863 carbine last month, this one being a Chiappa version, Shiloh Sharps no longer offers this one anymore. Not to mention I wanted something different than .45-70 so I went with the .50-70 Government.
    With the weather and of course the panic over everything, it took a while to get to the range, which I did this past week. I found brass and bullets easy enough and found a Lyman mold but I haven't cast for it yet, I bought fifty 50 bullets from Montana Bullet Works, these being 425 grain #515141's. I loaded it with 12 grains of Unique which is on the lower end of the power band. I finally got it to the range, I only fired a couple rounds just to see where it ends up. I threw the first one to the right, but the next three grouped pretty nicely, at 30 yards the group is about 1 1/4". Recoil is pleasant, and the sound the gun makes is enough to make you get the vapors.
    The Chiappa gun is beautiful, case coloring is excellent, and the gun is just a joy overall. Can't wait to load up some more rounds and stretch it out a bit.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master

That looks like a beauty. 35 years ago I had an original carbine that had been converted to .50-70 after the war. I only shot black powder loads in it. It shot quite well, but was a bruiser with full house loads.

Banned

How much did the Chiappa Sharps cost?

Boolit Master

just lovely.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Beautiful!
    I think the 45-70 would work fine for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I too have a Chiappa 1863 Sharps in 50/70:

I have it for several years (bought it from some outfit on Gunbroker can’t remember which one) and I believe all totaled after shipping and ffl fees mine was $1200.

It’s a very accurate rifle with bullets it likes and the ones the OP used from Montana Bulletworks have been the most accurate in my rifle.

That said I’ve fired these in mine as well and they shoot pretty good too:

5 shots at 100 yards using Bear Creek Supply 425 grain bullets and H4198 giving 1200 FPS for velocity.

Mine needs the front sight to be filed down to hit the POA at 100 yards as it shoots way low with my smokeless loads with the rear sight folded down.

These are exceedingly attractive rifles that have very good case colors and blueing.

I’ve fired about 300 rounds through mine since I’ve had it and it’s been trouble free with no issues whatsoever.

Boolit Man
    I'd really like a carbine, 50-70 or 45-70 either one, I've got a real nice Taylors & Co. 74 sharps rifle in 45-70 I'm thinking about trying to trade for one with someone. We'll see.
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Have one of these as well, in .50-70. Great little carbines. Here it is next to an original at one of our military matchs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharps.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	269400