WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Simple lube and coincidence...

Simple lube and coincidence...

Ok... I indicated an issue in another post with HiTek.

Well another solution was to lube with regular bullet lube. So I pull out the hidden Star liner and lube the bullets. For a moment I couldn’t remember what lube remained in the Star. No problem, the lubes I used in the past were all good. So I lubed them and shot them. All went well...

Funny thing happened... I remembered the homebrew lube mix and don’t think I’ve shared in the past. It works well for low to mid range loads. Easy mix with a 60/40 ratio... or 70/30 mix if you like the consistency. Here is where the coincidence comes in. Recipe is 60 of your favorite beeswax and the 40 is, ready....Corona ointment. Yes that’s right:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 61236D9F-33F4-4B23-89A3-4F43D4B49BB8.jpeg  
    Chris G...in SWLA

Boolit Grand Master

If there's a shortage of Corona Ointment in my area ... Do you think Bag Balm would be a suitable substitute ?

Corona Ointment...now that is funny !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Gary,

I would try BB and see. I originally got the idea after reading older recipes with just beeswax and Vaseline. Figured why not add a petroleum jelly with favorable additives. So I sought out pj bases and came up with the Corona rich in lanolin.

I’ve used it for ~15 years or so. No issues in the window I use it in. Plus it has a distinct medicine smell when fired.
    Chris G...in SWLA

The Corona Ointment is interesting. Whats the velocity and weight of the bullet you use this for? I have Steven Model 44 in 25-20 SS with a less then perfect bore but it does shoot well with the 87 grain bullet but I do get some leading with other lubes. Thanks, Steve
    Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member

I’ve used it only for my pistol rounds. Heavy 45 acp, match 45 and 38. Over the years of developing loads it has not failed...meaning no leading, goood-great accuracy. So simple it is worth a try.

Noticed past thread where someone used the Bag Balm mentioned above. I think the Corona is a little softer but both should work.
    Chris G...in SWLA

Boolit Master
    How do you produce it? Melt in a double boiler?

Double boiler just until wax melts. Add Corona until melted and mixed. There should be enough residual heat to get the job done.

I usually use those small crock pots sized for potpourri. Stole one from the wife and bought a couple of backups at yard sales.
    Chris G...in SWLA