WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Sniper Scope is not "legal"

Boolit Buddy

Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Sniper Scope is not "legal"

A shooting friend has one of the relatively new and nice Leatherwood/Hi-Lux reproductions of the William Malcolm 8x USMC Sniper Scopes and was wondering if he could use it for either BPCR or 22 BPCRA. Since one can be picked up for $575 at Optics Planet and it comes with nice mounts similar to Unertl’s, Fecker’s or DZ Arms, I was curious enough to call Hi-Lux & get the actual measurements. The outside diameter (OD) of the objective bell housing at the widest part (knurled rings) is 36.1mm. The OD at the front is 35.0mm and the actual lens diameter is 31mm but ends up around 30mm due to the retainer ring.

NRA BPCR silhouette rules state that any ocular or objective lenses, adjusting or assembly rings to be less than 1” (25.4mm) in diameter. 22 BPCRA rules state that any ocular or objective lens must not be larger than 1” as measured from the inside of the lens opening. Therefore the scope does not meet the rules for either type of sanctioned matches. In addition, the rear mount is click adjustable which is not allowed unless it can be de-clicked.

BTW, if the mounts can be de-clicked, they can be purchased separately for $250, less than half the price of DZ Arms mounts, but they do not offer the extended elevation adjustment available with the DZ mounts. Utilizing a 7.2” mount spacing the DZ arms mounts have 200MOA of elevation adjustment vs. 125MOA for the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux.

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 03-23-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Wayne, all this is as it should be for the weapon it was intended to be mounted on. Namely the 03-A3 Springfield chambered in the old 30-06 round.

I also think it would be a cool settup mounted on a BPCR ... but as you point out ... it will not pass inspection in sanctioned meets

Been tempted to put one on a 1888 (7.9x57).
    But, I'd much rather have a long eye relief to clear the bolt handle (heavy sigh).
    The rifle was rebarreled by Richard Hoch with a 12" twist, supplied with a matching 185 grain gas check mold.
    My eyes aren't up to snuff these days so hmm, what kind of scope do I want?