Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Model 24

Banned

Savage Model 24

Yes, a lowly Savage, not as exotic as the Maynards ect posted below. I inherited this rifle from my shooting buddy Gary when cancer took him two years ago. He kept it for a special reason known only to him. I know nothing about the Model 24 and would like more information, stories and experiences with them. I don't know when the last time this one was fired, I never knew him to shoot it in the 30 + years I knew him.
    It's a 22LR over 410. Is that a common arrangement? Condition is quite decent, the wood has some scratches in the finish but not showing any hard use, the metal is good with no rust.

Ken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9078.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	260306

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The classic farm utility, woods loafing and survival gun. The .22 barrel is quite accurate and a great squirrel getter. The full-choke .410 is typical of the type, the tight pattern is hard to hit with in wing shooting, but great for boys ground sluicing rabbits. Nice example of an early model like you have, in fine condition is collectible. These also have almost a cult following among the prepper community.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Wonderful old gun. In top condition $600.00. The later 30-30 or 223 over 20ga is far more usable as a general purpose hunting gun.

I traded for one this winter, 22/20ga, and am in love with it. As stated, the 22 is very accurate mine loves the fiocci 40gr subsonic HP. 20 gauge is mod choke and patterns to the rifle sights after I crammed a SOWW between the barrels as a way of poor mans regulation. Mine is a "deluxe" model from the 80's the best i can tell. Cant wait to hunt grouse and snowshoe hare with it in the upper peninsula this fall.

I always wanted one in 30-30/20ga. I did have one in the .222/20 and it was a tack driver with the factory irons and young eyes. My friend was calling turkeys one time and had borrowed it. A coyote came in looking for a drumstick and my friend forgot to select the rifle barrel for the shot. Didnt matter, the 3"#2 shot shell got the varmint at 50 yards. Good guns, a bit heavy - but you are carrying two guns......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have two. One is in 222/20 and the other 30-30/20. They both have been with me for more than 40 years (the 222/20 for over 50 years). You can't do much better than your 22lr/410 for a small game "meat gun". My neighbor bought the latest version 22wmr/410 offered by Savage (model 42 if memory serves) and he adores it for small game. He came over to the house not too long ago and I gave him a couple 00 buckshot 410's (5 pellets style) and at 20 yards all five pellets were on a paper dinner plate. He was seriously impressed.

Boolit Master
    I have one as well, mine is 22mag over 20ga Mod 24D. I don't use it much because I don't get out hunting but it's a great what ever you kick up type of hunting gun.

Boolit Master

Have one in 22LR/410. Except I think mine it a Stevens. Has Brown Plastic stock/forearm just like my Stevens 94 410 single shot.

Haven't fired either in a long time.

On Camping trips, when my little brother and I were young. My Dad would turn us loose with a box of .22's and 10-12 shot shells. Rabbits and Squirrels were in mortal danger.
    Had fried rabbit & squirrel so much by the time I was 16yrs, I hated the smell of frying rabbit.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Had 3 at one time all 22 lr 2 had 410 and one was a 20 , all the 22 barrels were accurate , still have one , I gave it to my dad years ago to use , one I got in a trade and I knew who the original owner was that had traded it off when times were tight , lost money on that deal as I returned it to him . good utility guns , minor differences depending on model , perhaps as in the one I had it was a gun his dad or granddad had given him , special meaning is attached to some guns by family association.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 22 lr/20 gauge. The known problem is with the selector switch in the hammer. Parts have been know to come off disabling it which is worse if you are hunting with it and have to go look for them. I have had no such problems just heard stories. Mine came with a cheap chicom red dot sight. When the sight is set for 25 yards the shotgun is centered about 18" low. I have no complaints as it is a fun gun and a real jackrabbit gitter. I have a bug out bag of 550 rds 22 and 100 rds 20 gauge ready to go in an instant and a 22 revolver to accompany it if need ever comes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    If they are in anything resembling useable shape, they will go for stupid money at a farm auction around here. The last .22/.410 I remember watching sell went for $485.00, a few years ago.

I never had one of the combo guns, but in sometime around 1982 or 83 my buddy and I bought one of the .410 over unders for his dad to hunt rabbits with. Seemed like a very serviceable firearm.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    If they are in anything resembling useable shape, they will go for stupid money at a farm auction around here. The last .22/.410 I remember watching sell went for $485.00, a few years ago.

I never had one of the combo guns, but in sometime around 1982 or 83 my buddy and I bought one of the .410 over unders for his dad to hunt rabbits with. Seemed like a very serviceable firearm.

Robert
    Here in West Virginia any older .22/.410 in serviceable condition with the metal gone to patina and the stock looking like it was dragged behind a Farmall while you plowed rocks will bring $300.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

I have one of the little camper ones, .22 LR over 20 gauge with a cylinder bore choke. Spaces in the stock for extra shells. I like it, but haven't really done much with it.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have one of the little camper ones, .22 LR over 20 gauge with a cylinder bore choke. Spaces in the stock for extra shells. I like it, but haven't really done much with it.
    Neighbor has the "Camper Special". Cylinder bore 20-ga is too open. If I had one of nthese I would get barrel threaded for choke tubes. The .22 LR barrel is accurate, but slugs from the 20-ga. barrel require using the triangular front sight base, not the front blade, to strike anywhere near point of aim...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the last 24's made, and it is about my favorite. It is a parkerized, synthetic stock,.223/12g, with a 3 inch chamber and choke tubes! It shoots great and the .223 has a 1-9 twist which shoots everything from 45-65 grains which is as heavy as I have shot it. With the .223 shooting about 2" high at 100yds, the shotgun is dead on at 40 yds. The shotgun likes bigger shot, 4 and 5 shot better than smaller, and shoots a great pattern for turkeys at 40-45 yds. I believe with some slugs and a .22lr/.223 chamber adapter, this would be the ultimate survival gun.

Pressman - your friend must have valued your friendship a lot to have left you that model 24. Yours being an older model with the barrel selector on the side has a "full" choke .410. One of the reasons the .22 barrel is so accurate is because the barrel is "wed" to the bottom barrel, rather than being separated as in later models, which is a more costly way of attaching double's.

I've owned at least a half dozen 24's, and still have a .22LR over a 20ga. Don't under estimate the effectiveness of the "little .410"; it will shoot just as far as the bigger bore's, but with less shot. Aimed with the iron sights it wears will collect just as much game as some of the fancier rigs (just don't extend the range too far!). "Aim small, shoot small".

Banned
    Thank You everyone for your response. I plan on keeping the 24 as is, no refinishing. It had a special meaning for Gary, and now that I know more about it's history that special meaning is stronger.
    10-15 years from now my daughter will have something she relates to and can appreciate a new family heirloom.

I've had about a dozen Model 24's over the years since the mid-60's, with just about every one of them the perfect "woods-loafing" long gun.

The configuration was first introduced by Savage/Stevens as the Stevens Model 22-410, offered with either walnut or Tenite (plastic) stocks.

After WWII, Savage designated it as the Model 24, in .22LR/.410, then also in .22lR/20ga

In 1959, Savage was the first firearms manufacturer to chamber for the then-new .22 Magnum, in their Model 24.

A few years later, the Model 24 lineup was expanded to include not only the choice between .22LR or .22Mag, but also between 20ga & .410, and between "standard" models and "Deluxe" versions with pickled receivers & Monte Carlo buttstocks - the Tenite stocks by now a distant memory.

Around 1968 (IIRC) Savage had so many repair requests for the sliding barrel selector on the side of the action, that they moved the selector to the top of the hammer.

Some versions had an opening lever of the side of the action ILO the top, and after about 1980 had a button in front of the trigger guard as the opening lever.

A few years later, Savage expanded the Model 24 line even more with variations like the Camper (short bbls w/cartridge storage buttstock) and centerfire rifle bbls.

All the Model 24 variations had their own Model 24 designations, like 24B-DL, 24P, 24S, 24MS, 24DL, 24MDL, 24FG, 2424F, 24V, 24D, 24C, 24CS, 24VS - until the Model 24 was eventually discontinued in 1990.

Last edited by pietro; 04-16-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    When a good friend of mine sold off many of his firearms, his 24 is one he kept. It is a 30-30/ 12ga and has taken many a deer. Out of a box of 150gr silvertips, he took 19 deer. I have shot it and it will keep them in a dime at his shooting ranges, about 75yds.

The only thing I have done to mine is to replace the rear sight with one off a ruger 10/22, a perfect fit. The old elevator would slide around on the skinny 22 barrel and move the sights. It is fold-able which I thought I would fold down for wing shooting but I always forget.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200416_073657.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	260429

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast