Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Neck roast

Moderator Emeritus

Neck roast

I took a neck roast out of the freezer last week. It was about 3 lbs and full of collagen and cords as befitted a rutting whitetail buck.
    I thawed it, seasoned with Johnny's salt and garlic powder and put it in the crockpot with a can of tomatoes fortified with chipolte peppers. I cooked it on high for 6 hours then started to shred it and turned it to low. At that time I also added a diced onion and removed any visible tendons. After 8 hours it was fit for the table. Served with fresh tomatoes and sour cream on tortillas it rivaled some of the best fajitas I have had.
    If you are like me and consider cooking with canned soup about as low as you can sink there are plenty of alternatives out there. Let me know what else gets done with this cut.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I put a neck roast from a young buck in the crock with an onion and seasoned with garlic pepper and Himalayan salt, and it was great. I didn't do anything to it. Just cooked it. He wasn't in the rut, if that matters.

Banned

I don't bother seasoning them. I detest the tasted of the juice that comes from the tallow tendens ect so I just put water in the crock pot or pressure cooker, cook them until the meat falls off. take the meat and pick it very clean tossing anything that isn't good meat and put that back in the cooker with my spice and cook it another 1/2 hour or so. I also like to filet the whole neck so that it doesn't cook with the bone in it. After hacking up about 30 of them ive gotten pretty good at it. done that way you can trim them up good enough to just roll and tie them and eat them right out of the pot.

Boolit Master
    I just finished up 3+ lbs of venison ragu using neck meat . I spend time deboning ,removing tendon and excess fat and combine a can of condensed mushroom soup /onion/onion soup mix /and fresh mushrooms and 4-5 hrs simmering on the stove (wife says no to crock pots) served over noodles and I can eat it for several days .Thats how good it is!/Ed

Lloyd, I hate that taste too. I trim any deer meat really well. Some cuts are better than others and are all but indistinguishable from beef.

One of the things I dislike is the smooth texture of some of the meat. One of the layers of neck muscle is smooth. It tastes "ok" but the texture isn't acceptable to me. I either trim that off or make it into BBQ.

Mom would take a neck roast, brown it on all sides, then put it down in a pot of water to slow cook for 8 hours.
    Seasonings and spices I can only guess at.

When the meat fell off the bones she would debone it. Bring liquid level up to mid point. Then drop a whole batch of homemade rolled egg noodles in with it.
    After 20 minutes we had heaven. The extra flour from the noodles would thicken the water. Noodles were tender but chewy, and that wonderful venison flavor throughout. Real stick to your ribs stuff with real flavor and those noodles were chewy. We would fight over the last spoonful in the bowl.

Moderator Emeritus

I do bone everything and roll and tie it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

yup with a neck if you trim everything it takes half a day or you cut off half the meat. I bone them out and cut the big pieces of tendon tallow ect off then slow cook them. Even when I roll and tie them I take the meat after cooking and dump the liquid and pick the meat (that by that time is falling off the connecting tissue ect and put it back in the pot and make my own gravy or tomato sauce ect and cook it a while with that. Bottom line is I get enough venison anymore that for the most part necks are boned out and tossed in the burger pile. To much work for what you get. If I want a roast ill toss a rump roast or foot ball roast in the crock pot or pressure cooker. I figure at 4 bucks a lb I get enough burger off a good sized neck to pay for the gas that day to go to the farm and shoot them. Heck if you call a neck 3lbs and use it to replace burger youd buy anyway youd have 12 bucks to buy a good roast and all the fixings for a meal and have much better burger to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Lloyd, I hate that taste too. I trim any deer meat really well. Some cuts are better than others and are all but indistinguishable from beef.

One of the things I dislike is the smooth texture of some of the meat. One of the layers of neck muscle is smooth. It tastes "ok" but the texture isn't acceptable to me. I either trim that off or make it into BBQ.

Boolit Master

My wife pressure cooks the neck.
    When it falls off the bone she separates the meat from everything else and canns it in pint jars.
    When she prepares it for a meal, she drains the liquid, fries it in a skillet until it is brown, and adds BBQ sauce.
    We eat it on a toasted bun like BBQed pulled pork....dale