Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: CO2 or PCP? Wilfire vs 1077

Boolit Buddy

CO2 or PCP? Wilfire vs 1077

Well gents I enjoyed some plinking this year! With panic buying engaged again I don't think I'm going to be plinking with my .22 for a while.

So that moves up plans to get either the crosman 1077 or the benjamin wildfire. The wildfire seems to be under 150 street price while the 1077 is up to about 80. Handpumps for about 70 is making me take the PCP world seriously again. The idea is plinking fun and training transitions between targets as well as rapid fire. For precision I'd get the rebuilt daisy from the CMP. With the PCP I could also add a more powerful small game gun which seems like a reasonable direction to grow. What do you guys think? General discussion about the growth in PCP is also welcome.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master

In my experience, a good PCP holds pressure almost indefinitely.

A CO-2 is always empty unless just filled.

Have to admit, never had an good quality CO-2. But do have 1 starter grade PCP that does not hold air.

Since making the leap and purchasing a compressor, CO-2 guns have no appeal to me.

My starter grade PCP is a Benjamin wildfire.
    The trigger would be good training if you regularly shoot double action only pistols.
    Otherwise the trigger is pretty disappointing.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    PCP. Get a decent one and you can shoot for almost nothing and have a gun that will shoot very, very small groups right out to 50 yards and decent groups out to a hundred. I just got my first air gun about four weeks ago and I'm amazed by the accuracy. At 25 yards it will shoot ten shots into .25" c-c, and at fifty yards it will shoot .5". It's got more than enough energy to kill small game out to fifty yards. I got a .22cal, but going up to .25cal or even .30cal and they will dispatch critters up to fox/coyote size. Only down side to larger cal. is they become "air hogs" and you spend too much time filling them and pellet selection is a bit more limited. My new PCP shoots as good as my CZ, T-Bolt, or Anschutz up to about fifty yards. However, the lighter pellets are a bit more prone to wind deflection. Still, they're a hoot to shoot.
    Attachment 258954

Boolit Master
    The pcp is a very expensive venture, so you may as well get a good one because when all is said and done it is not the most expensive part of your journey. If this doesn't turn your crank I'd look at a nice springer or gas piston air rifle.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just got a Ruger 1022 air rifle a few weeks ago complementary of a Ruger... long story. It’s a blast to shoot and very accurate but I’d rather have a PCP that’s more powerful. I think the 1077 is similar if I remember.

Moderator Emeritus

PerpetualStudent -- you raise a good choice-query, re your, "either the crosman 1077 or the benjamin wildfire. The wildfire seems to be under 150 street price while the 1077 is up to about 80.".
    I own, and can highly speak for the Crosman 1077 in a few regards. The #1 "plus" the Crosman offers over pretty much all others is it truly being a repeater. To wit, if you have, say, a Rocket Shot target, it enables a try for a second shot -- the soda can -- after the first, spring release shot. (A 5" video of this may be seen at https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Rocket_Shot_Target/5946 ) You already noted the #2 -- it being incredibly inexpensive for what you get. Third, it is extremely light weight; 'ceptin barrel, action, and CO2 cylinder all plastic -- but not "feeling cheaply made". Fourth -- it is very adaptable to pretty much any 'scope you may wish to complement it with. Lastly, it seems not to be picky (at least, mine is not) re whatever pellets are chosen, and it affords (imho) an incredible number of shots from one CO2 cylinder.
    I have several PCPs, a Nitro Piston, another C02, and springers -- but -- for value and fun -- I'd hesitate NOT in the Crosman 1077 as my choice!
    For rapid fire, all three of my PCP Benjamins and two AirArms are bolt action. I do not own, nor have ever seen the Benjamin Wildfire -- so I may not speak re this air rifle. However, as a 1077 owner with zero regrets in having had purchased one -- I hope this "review" has helped.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I certainly appreciate hearing from people who have used them. The wildfire is the 1077 only in PCP form is my understanding. Same magazines and doubleaction/semiauto action which is the main thing I'm looking for in my next purchase. I had done the math about how many CO2 cartridges it would take before you realized your savings from the PCP (lower use cost but higher hardware). I'll do it again now that the costs have changed but I am leaning towards the PCP world.

I had given a lot of thought towards the nice springers MT but I'm less a hunter and more a shooter. For precision I'd rather a single stroke pneumatic and for hunting I'd rather my .22 and so while the springer is possibly the best overlap between single shot marksmanship and hunting, I think I'd rather specialize one for each on that front
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

I have had many air rifles over the years. Bought my first Benjamin .177 when I was in 8th grade, and yes that was many moons ago. Went through many hand pump rifles, Benjamin, Crossman, Daisy and Sheridan. I managed to go through many many pellets in those days.

Then, I graduated to the RWS 48 side lever .177 rifle. WOW, what a difference. Thought it was amazing that I could get that much velocity out of one crank on that handle!

After messing around with those for a long while, I decided to get into the PCP market. Well, after the shock of realizing how much those things cost, I picked up an Air Force Condor in .22 caliber. Also picked up a hand pump for it as well. At this point I am old, and will say that this thing is heavy! Of course I have the bi-pod on the front, a 3 x 9 scope on it as well and that all adds to the weight. Needless to say, I am too old to lug it around in the woods now days, so it and I have retired.

If I were a young guy again, I would have no reservation about hauling around the Condor. No issue what so ever gathering small game. MORE than enough power for them. Accuracy is very good as well. I never did check the speed vs shots ratio of it, but after shooting it 10 times, it still burried pellets in telephone poles!

There are so many options now days with air rifles it bogles the mind. All I can do is tell you my experience with them. Good luck with your air rifle hunting. I am sure you will find something that will suit your needs.