RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Velocity Limits on Swaged Bullets

Boolit Buddy

Velocity Limits on Swaged Bullets

Hello Bullet Swagers!

I have a quick question for everyone, are there any velocity limits on swaged lead bullets? My only experience with them is in Hollow Based wad cutters where there is a risk of separating the skirt. My reason for asking is that I cannot currently afford swaging equipment but I wanted to try the 158 Grain Swaged SWCHP that Roze Distribution lists for sale. I have a ton of experience loading cast bullets for .38 Special, but before I'd buy I want to know if I will be velocity limited with these vs traditionally cast?

Thanks!

The bullet you speak of is swaged by Zero Bullets, and is very soft. It would be a poor choice for high velocity loads.

Boolit Master

check out btsniper in the vendor section, he has some simple dies for turning 380 brass into 35 caliber rounds, its not as expensive as regular swagging and can be done on a normal heavy duty press.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    Yup, There is more to it than just swaged. Hardness is a big factor.

I've been able to run some of those soft swaged lead bullets at some pretty good velocities by adding a plain base gas check to them, but that's a whole other discussion.

Limit soft swaged bullets to .38 Special velocities and watch for leading. If the fit to the chamber throats and bore is correct, they'll work just fine for moderate velocities.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Swaged (Lead - no Jacket) will have the same velocity limits as a similar cast boolit (both rifle and pistol). So, a swaged on gas check will have same impact as a cast boolit with a gas check (same Aloy). A swaged boolit from say wheel weight material can be heat treated (watch out for that slump temp) and water quenched to harden just as a cast boolit of same alloy. Just as with velocity; at some point you will attain a point where you have good accuracy and no leading; go beyond that velocity and accuracy begins to drop off and at some point leading begins to develop.

Alloy will be your controlling factor. Keep in mind that swaging harder alloys MAY be harmful to your dies. - Almost all the makers will tell you to use pure or near pure lead for swaging to prevent damage to dies; and probably any "Warranty" will not be honored for using hard alloy metals. For me; I swage a variety of 5.56/.223 and .30 caliber bullets using "Lead Pigs" that previously contained radio-isotopes. My preference for casting and cores I cast for use in swaging is from Lead Pigs that are 96% Lead, 3% Antimony, & 1% Tin. These when cast - Swaged to the appropriate Boolit, then either leave as is or powder coat, and then heat treat/water quench will make pretty accurate swaged bollits, as long as one remains within the velocity limits of the alloy (as cast or heat treated).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Rotational velocity pulls bullets apart. Take your rifling twist, usually given in one revolution per inches and convert it to revolutions per foot.

1 in 8 = 1.5
    1 in 12 =1
    1 in 16 = 1.33333

Multiply by muzzle velocity to get revolutions per second.

I really do not think it's going to be much of a problem in mid range .38 special.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Revolutions per second is a big number, revolutions per minute is a huge number.
    use what ever you like.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Math in public can be so embarrassing.
    In #7 post above, I said 1 in 16 twist is 1.333 revolutions per foot of travel.
    Really it is .75 revolutions per foot of travel.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Math in public can be so embarrassing.
    In #7 post above, I said 1 in 16 twist is 1.333 revolutions per foot of travel.
    Really it is .75 revolutions per foot of travel.
    That's the exact reason I won't post loading data in open forums. It's just too easy to mess it up.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    As Mustang pointed out, Swaged bullets are exactly the same as cast bullets as far as velocity limits. Very simple answer to a perhaps confusingly worded question.
    Swaging lead DOES NOTHING to lead besides shape it.
    Swaging brass or copper jackets is another ball game.